Sabres ticket sales still pretty dismal

PromoTheRobot

7 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I’m not passionate about this debate, but 1) I believe you can’t flame the GM for a lack of moves if you cannot express a jealousy over a logical move the guy didn’t make. And 2) the rebuild started when Eichel was traded, and that was 1.5 seasons ago. Can’t we agree that it was a seminal moment and the vacuum should start there?

What move did you see that the Sabres brass missed and should have made?  It is important to articulate this because otherwise we can just be mad at our GM for not trading for Connor McDavid every year. That’s not logical.

No. People want to shave his full first year off and I get that. But cutting down his second to a .5 (and thus functionally eliminating that year, in your mind (be honest)), is a bridge too far. He went into that season *executing his plan*. It’s wasn’t on hold until Eichel was physically gone, the process of moving Jack which was implicit in the plan was already well underway. He wasn’t around the team. KA’s plan was underway and he managed that team through the offseason before and into it putting the wheels of exactly what he wanted to do in motion.

I count this as his 4th year (reasoning: It is), but it’s assuredly at least his 3rd, no matter what hemisphere you live in 

The McDavid thing is just a straw man, you know that 

Edited by Thorny
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I’m not passionate about this debate, but 1) I believe you can’t flame the GM for a lack of moves if you cannot express a jealousy over a logical move the guy didn’t make. And 2) the rebuild started when Eichel was traded, and that was 1.5 seasons ago. Can’t we agree that it was a seminal moment and the vacuum should start there?

What move did you see that the Sabres brass missed and should have made?  It is important to articulate this because otherwise we can just be mad at our GM for not trading for Connor McDavid every year. That’s not logical.

Moves that got made are not the only moves the Sabres could have made.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Back to the topic of this thread, would estimate that though the crowd showed up late once again, there were probably 16k in the building.  (Nearly full in the 300's; with several sections in the 100's full and all at least 80% full; even the 200's weren't sparely populated.)  With well over 90% of those in attendance cheering (or at least they would've, were there anything to cheer for) the guys in red and black.

There were a TON of youth hockey groups in the building.  Everything was set up to help attendance at future games and they flat out laid an egg.  Just like they did in the opener which also was very well attended.  

Know it's extreme, but want to see them make the team stay in a hotel Thursday night and treat the entire day on Friday like they were in Minny rather than the other way around.  They have to get this home ice issue solved.

• Like (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Back to the topic of this thread, would estimate that though the crowd showed up late once again, there were probably 16k in the building.  (Nearly full in the 300's; with several sections in the 100's full and all at least 80% full; even the 200's weren't sparely populated.)  With well over 90% of those in attendance cheering (or at least they would've, were there anything to cheer for) the guys in red and black.

There were a TON of youth hockey groups in the building.  Everything was set up to help attendance at future games and they flat out laid an egg.  Just like they did in the opener which also was very well attended.  

Know it's extreme, but want to see them make the team stay in a hotel Thursday night and treat the entire day on Friday like they were in Minny rather than the other way around.  They have to get this home ice issue solved.

There was a huge youth tourney this week at HarborCenter and my rep said 17k tickets were out as of that morning.

• Thanks (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Taro T said:

Like there's a hotel attached to the arena. Where do you think you are, mister?

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Radar said:

With all do respect. Once again you say moves. Not specific at all.  Living room GM's.

Did you read the post? We dont know who Kevyn was on the phone with, what they asked for, what he said no to. You can't just say that Tarasenko or something is the only guy we could have signed. There are whispers that we were in on Hanifin, but he didn't move. Presumably kevyn balked, because that has been his MO. we want him to "lose" the trade to make us better, because that's better than staying bad because he is paralyzed to do ***** anything. He is losing the war to win a battle. I don't have to tell you any move i cant know was possible. I just have to point to the standings, and point out how obvious our unaddressed needs were. God knows we spent all summer talking about them. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, sabremike said:

There was a huge youth tourney this week at HarborCenter and my rep said 17k tickets were out as of that morning.

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

I’m confused then. ESPN boxscore reports 16,612. Isn’t that supposed to be paid attendance?

Believe it is tickets distributed.  It definitely was in the Rigas era.  Golisano put an end to a massive comping of tickets.  Honestly not sure what the current policy towards that is.  

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Maybe a lot got comped for the kids?

Perhaps.  But pretty sure those tix wouldn't have been comped, but sold at a discount from normal window prices in group sales.  That's the way it's worked in the past.  And next Friday's game will be the one where Highmark and Roswell Park use their comps from being "gold ring partners" or whatever it is they now call their major advertisers because it's "hockey fights cancer nightTM."

Am guessing the rep was rounding up.  16.6 rounds to 17.

And nearly all of those 16,612 tickets actually got used.  The barn was reasonably full.  Too bad the game was such a stinker.

3 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Did you read the post? We dont know who Kevyn was on the phone with, what they asked for, what he said no to. You can't just say that Tarasenko or something is the only guy we could have signed. There are whispers that we were in on Hanifin, but he didn't move. Presumably kevyn balked, because that has been his MO. we want him to "lose" the trade to make us better, because that's better than staying bad because he is paralyzed to do ***** anything. He is losing the war to win a battle. I don't have to tell you any move i cant know was possible. I just have to point to the standings, and point out how obvious our unaddressed needs were. God knows we spent all summer talking about them. 

The point I'm making is we don't know. Seems you're agreeing. Fans sometimes state things as fact when they don't know it to be fact.

• 2 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.