GDT - Bruins at Sabres - Tuesday, September 26, 2023 - 7:00 PM (EDT) - Pre-Season Game 2

Sabres Fan in NS

Yeah. I think Benson gets a few games in Buffalo, then is sent back down to have another year to gain size and cracks the roster for good next year. If we could send him to Rochester this year, that's where he'd be best suited.

Although I'm not ruling out the possibility that he makes it hard to send him back to Juniors this year. At this point I'll be shocked if he doesn't at least get 1 regular season game.

It's difficult to make judgments on this type of exhibition game. However, I'll offer just a few. The most important potential takeaway is that Levi is demonstrating that he is our primary goalie. If he upgrades the position, that in itself will be one of the more impactful factors in having a successful season. 

Mitts made some nice passes that put the recipient of them in a good scoring position. In my mind, he's a center more than a winger although he can play the wing. He is one of our better wall players. Where should he play and with whom? 

@LGR4GMmade this observation about Tage: He was dangling too much. There is a delicate balance between maneuvering to get in a better scoring position and being too cute with the puck. I don't want to make too much of an issue here because this was an exhibition game. 

Benson is going to be good. He's got great instincts. His pass to Skinner for a score was a nice play. He simply needs to physically mature. His best trait is that he has the confidence to believe that the NHL game is not too big for him.

The big question for this team is whether it has improved its team defense. You can't fairly make even a preliminary judgment from this type of game. 

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, Ogelthorpe said:

Casey was invisible against the junior Bruins. 

i thought his intensity came and went, although he ramped it up more often than the other top vets in the lineup.

Couldn't disagree more with "invisible" though. He had 2 assists, one of which was a beauty, was easily the best Sabre along the wall, and probably had the puck on his stick more than any player out there. To me, he was very noticeable.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

3 hours ago, SabresBaltimore said:

Man Benson looks good: 

We have two dogs. They have lots of dog toys around the house. The younger one has her absolute favorite. If she has the toy she simply will not give it up. If she happens to see the older one has it, she immediately runs over and takes it from her. I'm thinking of renaming my dog.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

It would be an interesting experiment to see what the financial return would be if the tickets were sold between $5 to $10 for this type of exhibition game. The place would be filled with parents bringing their kids to see their first game. The concessions and merchandise sales would certainly be higher. This type of major discounting pricing would likely create additional return customers. In the end, the financial return for the Sabres would be dramatically higher. A win for the fans and a win for the hockey company. 

Expect you're right that doing so would untimately result in more revenues than their current preseason ticket selling plan.  But it could be a tough sell to the NHL, because to make it work (getting bodies into the rink) they'd have to either not stick STHers w/ tix to the preseason or at a minimum let them opt out.  Because most STHers don't want the preseason game tix and don't want to go to them.  They're already going to 41 games plus the home playoff games.  3 extra trips to the barn for games that don't matter is a tough sell.

And doubt the league would be happy with them not forcing the tix on the STHers because expect there are few if any rinks that are packed for the preseason.  And if nobody's going, at least having the 2/3 regular ticket prices in their pockets beats zilch.

Maybe they'll experiment with a Bills style preseason kids game, but doubt it for the reasons above.  Expect it would work if they tried it.  (Of course, they also likely are concerned that it'd cut into demand for the RS Kids Day and Youth Hockey game promotions.

14 hours ago, LTS said:

I'm in Rochester and watching on ESPN+.

I don't like Edwards, but I've never heard him sound like this.  He sounds like he is suffering a medical condition. I'm not even trying to be sparky. I'm actually concerned for him.

I’m watching with my coffee and came here to say just this. It’s tough to listen to.

14 hours ago, inkman said:

Thanks for the heads up.  I’m tuned in now.  Why is ESPN+ carrying it?

My guess is that it’s because ESPN is NE based,… and they know we’ll watch.

1 hour ago, Quint said:

Anyone know why the electronic backboards were at some point, flashing WIN BRUINS with the Bruins logo -- in Buffalo? It was also flashing Rangers logos and the word "Overtime" even though there was no overtime. I don't get it.

Doesn’t matter where the game is, it’s Boston’s broadcast.

3 hours ago, SwampD said:

I’m watching with my coffee and came here to say just this. It’s tough to listen to.

My guess is that it’s because ESPN is NE based,… and they know we’ll watch.

Doesn’t matter where the game is, it’s Boston’s broadcast.

Expect it isn't so much that as ESPN+ has contracts with most all the major regional sports networks to show NHL out of market games that they air.  The Caps game wasn't on MSG (don't know whether it was on the Caps broadcaster or just their website; expecting it was just their website because it was showing the Jumbotron feed) and likely not on the Caps broadcast partner either.  So, no RSN broadcast -> no ESPN+ broadcast.

Whereas the Bruins game was on NESN and MSG.

20 minutes ago, Taro T said:

(don't know whether it was on the Caps broadcaster or just their website; expecting it was just their website because it was showing the Jumbotron feed)

It was on the Caps RSN (Now called Monument Sports Network). Not sure what you mean by the Jumbotron feed, but the TV coverage seemed like the normal deal. It was the first live game aired on the new network (I guess the Caps/Wizards owner bought out the old one from Comcast)

Its hard for me to say what is normal for the Caps games and ESPN+ since I'm always blacked out and have to watch on TV instead.

• Thanks (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Expect it isn't so much that as ESPN+ has contracts with most all the major regional sports networks to show NHL out of market games that they air.  The Caps game wasn't on MSG (don't know whether it was on the Caps broadcaster or just their website; expecting it was just their website because it was showing the Jumbotron feed) and likely not on the Caps broadcast partner either.  So, no RSN broadcast -> no ESPN+ broadcast.

Whereas the Bruins game was on NESN and MSG.

Good point.

It was the Caps broadcast.

It will be interesting to see if ESPN+ carries the Columbus games. Not sure if they have a RSN.

4 hours ago, Taro T said:

Expect you're right that doing so would untimately result in more revenues than their current preseason ticket selling plan.  But it could be a tough sell to the NHL, because to make it work (getting bodies into the rink) they'd have to either not stick STHers w/ tix to the preseason or at a minimum let them opt out.  Because most STHers don't want the preseason game tix and don't want to go to them.  They're already going to 41 games plus the home playoff games.  3 extra trips to the barn for games that don't matter is a tough sell.

And doubt the league would be happy with them not forcing the tix on the STHers because expect there are few if any rinks that are packed for the preseason.  And if nobody's going, at least having the 2/3 regular ticket prices in their pockets beats zilch.

Maybe they'll experiment with a Bills style preseason kids game, but doubt it for the reasons above.  Expect it would work if they tried it.  (Of course, they also likely are concerned that it'd cut into demand for the RS Kids Day and Youth Hockey game promotions.

You are right that it is unlikely for the Sabres to pursue the suggestion that I proposed because of revenue loss from forcing STHs to pay for those seats (that they are in many cases unlikely to attend. As you point out.) In my view, it is a scam to include those preseason games in ST packages. However, one of the potential advantages of selling cheap seats at these exhibition games is that it would be a way to cultivate the market of fans who don't usually go to the games. It's a dollar $$$ squeeze that I find unappealing. 

33 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You are right that it is unlikely for the Sabres to pursue the suggestion that I proposed because of revenue loss from forcing STHs to pay for those seats (that they are in many cases unlikely to attend. As you point out.) In my view, it is a scam to include those preseason games in ST packages. However, one of the potential advantages of selling cheap seats at these exhibition games is that it would be a way to cultivate the market of fans who don't usually go to the games. It's a dollar $$$ squeeze that I find unappealing. 

We're on the same page.  And personally would love to see the Sabres and other teams around the league stop gouging STHers for preseason games by either going to local youth hockey leagues and offer up cheap ($10?) tix for players and their familiies OR by taking the preseason games on the road.  They used to do that.  Used to be a preseason game each year in Houston.  Pens played at least twice; once against Gretzky and the Kings, once against the Whale.  Took a bunch of friends to those games and then had a bunch of people who were willing to go to one of the local bars to watch the Sabres play every so often.  Another way to build up the national fan base.

• Thanks (+1) 2

7 hours ago, JohnC said:

Mitts made some nice passes that put the recipient of them in a good scoring position. In my mind, he's a center more than a winger although he can play the wing. He is one of our better wall players. Where should he play and with whom? 

I honestly loved our lines to finish the season. I thought our top line with Mitts at center was as good or better as anything they did previously. Tommers made the second line better. Mixing in Greenway, Jost, and Krebs around the line up helped provide some physicality that lets guys like Cozens and Peterka shine a bit brighter. 

I would like to see more of it, at least situationally. 

Just my $0.02 carry over from last year. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Mango said:

I honestly loved our lines to finish the season. I thought our top line with Mitts at center was as good or better as anything they did previously. Tommers made the second line better. Mixing in Greenway, Jost, and Krebs around the line up helped provide some physicality that lets guys like Cozens and Peterka shine a bit brighter. 

I would like to see more of it, at least situationally. 

Just my $0.02 carry over from last year. 

As you are indicating, DG has a variety of options to take when assembling lines and pairings. There is a legitimate argument to make having Mitts center for Tuch and Skinner. If not, is he better suited to be a wing on the second line or does he center the third line? And there is also a legitimate argument to make keeping Tage on the first line. If Tage is centering the second line then does Cozens center a third line? What's become evident is that Sabres are at a point where enough flexible talent has been accumulated where they can play in a variety of roles. The same can be said for the defensive pairings. It's going to be interesting to how this plays out.  

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

As you are indicating, DG has a variety of options to take when assembling lines and pairings. There is a legitimate argument to make having Mitts center for Tuch and Skinner. If not, is he better suited to be a wing on the second line or does he center the third line? And there is also a legitimate argument to make keeping Tage on the first line. If Tage is centering the second line then does Cozens center a third line? What's become evident is that Sabres are at a point where enough flexible talent has been accumulated where they can play in a variety of roles. The same can be said for the defensive pairings. It's going to be interesting to how this plays out.  

They were one of the top first lines in the league last year with Tage at C. I totally get not moving it around.

But I actually really liked Thompson on the wing with Greenway and Cozens at C. I say that not liking Greenways game last year. If he can be an Alex Tuch lite on the left side this year, that’s a formidable line. 

8 hours ago, Mango said:

They were one of the top first lines in the league last year with Tage at C. I totally get not moving it around.

But I actually really liked Thompson on the wing with Greenway and Cozens at C. I say that not liking Greenways game last year. If he can be an Alex Tuch lite on the left side this year, that’s a formidable line. 

When DG moved Tage to center it gave the player room to maneuver and become a prolific scorer. I strongly wouldn't recommend moving him to the wing where he wouldn't have as much space to work with. The coach has made a lot of wise decisions during his short tenure. Moving Tage to center was on of his best decisions. A legitimate argument can be made to move him to another line, but in my view not to another position. 

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

When DG moved Tage to center it gave the player room to maneuver and become a prolific scorer. I strongly wouldn't recommend moving him to the wing where he wouldn't have as much space to work with. The coach has made a lot of wise decisions during his short tenure. Moving Tage to center was on of his best decisions. A legitimate argument can be made to move him to another line, but in my view not to another position. 

Am convinced that the move to C was a huge part of Thompson breaking out like he did.  (Much like moving Mittelstadt to W when he 1st came to the Sabres, 1st came back up from Ra-cha-cha, and after the difficult start last year tended to get him back into the games so to speak.)  But after watching him play W last year recovering from injury, don't believe he absolutely has to stay at C.  (A big change of opinion as had been adamant he needed to stay at C to be effective.)  He isn't overly effective in his own end at C; the reach helps, but he's still figuring out what to do in his own end.   The way W's play defense now, that big reach of his could still help him be effective.  Once he hits center ice, he can head towards more open space and still play like the F2 or F3 most of the time which is essentially what the C does nowadays.

Am in no way advocating for him to move to W and do still agree he's better at C than at W but it isn't as significant as we'd believed.  And, if Granato can get a matchup he likes by moving Tage to the W, am now open to it.  (Like he gives a rat's rear end if any of us approve of his player usage or not.  😄)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.