melrose on espnews...

southern sabre

Just caught Melrose of ESPNEWS. Acted like this was a win for Ottawa. Said something like "Buffalo has to ask themselves, 'do they want to hang with the senators physical play for 4 more games'?" He seemed to think that the only way we could win two more against these guys was for Miller to steal 2 more. Oh, Barry. Buffalo... still getting all that respect.

By the way... I'm pumped about the win.

Can't wait for Wednesday. And once again, I wish I could be at HSBC with you guys. Drink a beer for me.

GEAUX SABRES!

I was thinking the same thing. Melrose was very pro-Ottawa. They did dominate the 3rd period but Buffalo capitalized on their few chances. Didn't everyone expect Ottawa to come out hitting hard and trying to blow the Sabres out early. Buffalo was basically playing with house money having already won game 1. Melrose didn't give Buffalo any credit what so ever. Who cares though? Melrose picked Dallas to win the cup.

Just caught Melrose of ESPNEWS. Acted like this was a win for Ottawa. Said something like "Buffalo has to ask themselves, 'do they want to hang with the senators physical play for 4 more games'?" He seemed to think that the only way we could win two more against these guys was for Miller to steal 2 more. Oh, Barry. Buffalo... still getting all that respect.

By the way... I'm pumped about the win.

Can't wait for Wednesday. And once again, I wish I could be at HSBC with you guys. Drink a beer for me.

GEAUX SABRES!

guys, yes, we did capitalize but we got outplayed badly tonight. it is great to be up 2-0 but melrose was right when he said bryan murray can't expect much more from his team, and that lindy is going to need more. there is no way we can steal 2 more games like this, and we did steal them.

not that there is anything wrong with that. that is why goaltending can make such a difference. have your goalie 'win a game or two for you,' and then earn the rest!

First off...Melrose is a moron. ESPN's hockey coverage is a joke.

While it's true that Buffalo has stolen two games in Ottawa, let's think about HOW the Sabres have stolen these two games. It's been a matter of hustling defensively, playing hard enough to keep themselves in the game and finally, doing what dangerous teams do - taking advantage of seemingly every single opportunity Ottawa has provided over the last 2 games.

Has Ottawa outplayed the Sabres so far this series? Sure. I'll readily admit that.

guys, yes, we did capitalize but we got outplayed badly tonight. it is great to be up 2-0 but melrose was right when he said bryan murray can't expect much more from his team, and that lindy is going to need more.

However, Ottawa has played two games in which they have controlled play, and apparently played so well that Bryan Murray "can't expect much more from his team", yet still has not been able to get a win.

Who cares if Buffalo isn't getting credit. Who cares if they're "stealing games". They're up 2-0 and have beaten Ottawa when apparently the Sens have been playing close to their best games.

If anything, it's the Sens that have to worry. They must be wondering what in the world they need to do to finally beat these Sabres.

guys, yes, we did capitalize but we got outplayed badly tonight. it is great to be up 2-0 but melrose was right when he said bryan murray can't expect much more from his team, and that lindy is going to need more. there is no way we can steal 2 more games like this, and we did steal them.

not that there is anything wrong with that. that is why goaltending can make such a difference. have your goalie 'win a game or two for you,' and then earn the rest!

The Sens are the highest scoring team in the league. Buffalo just took two games on the road. In game one, the Sabres outscored them, in game two, they held them to one goal.

Who dominated who?

Let's not forget the Sabres gameplan, they're going to stay off the boards and force the shots to the outside. Then they'll try to take every intercepted pass, blocked shot, and rebound to the other net. It's a fast break offense.

7 goals on transition for the Sabres. To me, it looks like Ottawa has no answer for Ruff's gameplan.

WTF is up with my fellow Sabre Fans? <_<

The Sabres score a Huge win and all I have heard and read is how the Sabres aren't getting all the attention.

Come on guys grow another layer of skin. You sound like a bunch of Larry Felsers.

All Melrose was pointing out is that the Sens have carried the play for two games. The Sabres have been outshot 77-40 in two games and have really stepped up the physical aspect of their game. It's called an unbias opinion.

Just because an announcer talks about another team does'nt mean they hate the Sabres or want them to lose.

The Sabres are up 2-0 in the second round against a really good team with a pair of home games coming up. Be happy, have fun and stop the frigg'n crying becasue ESPN or OLN didn't have a 2 hour special after the game showing how wonderful the Sabres are. <_<

Just because an announcer talks about another team does'nt mean they hate the Sabres or want them to lose.

You do know you are dealing with the inferiority complex known as being a Buffalo sports fan, right? :o

The Sabres score a Huge win and all I have heard and read is how the Sabres aren't getting all the attention.

Come on guys grow another layer of skin. You sound like a bunch of Larry Felsers.

All Melrose was pointing out is that the Sens have carried the play for two games. The Sabres have been outshot 77-40 in two games and have really stepped up the physical aspect of their game. It's called an unbias opinion.

The Sabres are up 2-0 in the second round against a really good team with a pair of home games coming up. Be happy, have fun and stop the frigg'n crying becasue ESPN or OLN didn't have a 2 hour special after the game showing how wonderful the Sabres are. <_<

yeah really. i could give a #%^$#! about melrose. i am little more interested in the fact that we are getting outworked and outshot, and now have injuries to deal with. this thing is far from over and i never watch melrose anyway, so i could not care less what he thinks.

I saw Melrose's commentary last night and thought the same thing too. He was so pro-Ottawa it was ridiculous. It's fine to say we were outplayed but to say we were being dominated physically and ask if we want to play with the Senators for 4 more games like we are scared of them was a huge stretch.

Strangely, on this morning's sportscenter he seemed to completely change his tune. He mentioned what a great game it was by both teams and the Sabres played great too.

Moral of the story: Don't listen to a word these jacka$$es have to say. They sensationalize everything and change their viewpoints all the time.

Moral of the story: Don't listen to a word these jacka$$es have to say. They sensationalize everything and change their viewpoints all the time.

What is the deal with the Ottawa Sun paper? http://ottsun.canoe.ca/Sports/Senators/200...09/1570857.html

"Still, you?ve got to think the Sabres are being optimistic, that Connolly returning from such a hit, given his past, would be nothing short of miracle.

And it looks like they aren?t the same team without him. "

This is total BS. First of all, it is completely wild speculation that he won't return, and of course your team has to adjust when you lose a guy who plays in all situations.

In the same article they also say: "And even though it was delivered by the Senators winger in the first minute of last night?s Game 2, it could still be a difference maker in this series."

Umm, ok. The hit happened in the first minute of play and the sabres still outscored Ottawa 2-1 and won the game. Last night was a glaring example of how the team can lose one of there most important guys on the team, play a man short the entire game, and still win. And aren't they aware that Connolly already missed several games this year and the sabres were still able to win? The Canadien media is just aweful. It's like watching ESPN or Sports Illustrated coverage.

Personally I don't think the Sabres were outplayed last night. I don't think they pinched once in the third. They got the winning goal, and then they protected that lead till the clock ran out. Yes Miller saw a lot of shots, but they were not quality shots like the few Emery saw. In playing an "old NHL" style game like that (thanks for the calls, refs), we beat the Sens in a completely different style game than game one. If we weren't in the Sens' heads after game one, we certainly are now. If the Sens could have played d in the 3rd period of game one like the Sabres did in two, this series would probably be tied or 2-0 Sens.

I saw Melrose's commentary last night and thought the same thing too. He was so pro-Ottawa it was ridiculous. It's fine to say we were outplayed but to say we were being dominated physically and ask if we want to play with the Senators for 4 more games like we are scared of them was a huge stretch.

Strangely, on this morning's sportscenter he seemed to completely change his tune. He mentioned what a great game it was by both teams and the Sabres played great too.

I noticed this too...by SportsCenter this morning, Melrose was talking about how proud he was, as an old NHL defenseman, to watch this game since it was so physical. He sounded totally different than last night.

After reading through most of the Canadien press' stories, I've decided that I just don't care what other media outlets are saying. They have to write what they feel will sell papers, and that's cool. Fact of the matter is, if these roles were reversed, and Buffalo had completely outplayed Ottawa, and shut down their PP and offense, but lost 2 games up north due to Ottawa capitalizing on some turnovers, I don't think any Sabre fans would feel like the series was over, we'd just be looking forward to getting home and trying to win. Of course, since Ottawa was favored it's a little different, but I think this series is far from over.

I noticed this too...by SportsCenter this morning, Melrose was talking about how proud he was, as an old NHL defenseman, to watch this game since it was so physical. He sounded totally different than last night.

After reading through most of the Canadien press' stories, I've decided that I just don't care what other media outlets are saying. They have to write what they feel will sell papers, and that's cool. Fact of the matter is, if these roles were reversed, and Buffalo had completely outplayed Ottawa, and shut down their PP and offense, but lost 2 games up north due to Ottawa capitalizing on some turnovers, I don't think any Sabre fans would feel like the series was over, we'd just be looking forward to getting home and trying to win. Of course, since Ottawa was favored it's a little different, but I think this series is far from over.

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner.

You do know you are dealing with the inferiority complex known as being a Buffalo sports fan, right? :o

Yeah I do. It is just unreal that after going up 2-0 on the #1 seed in the East all I have heard on the sports talk was what other media outlets wee saying. Then I get up this morning read some posts I wonder if I was dreaming the Sabres won. :(

Do we really care about the national media and what they think? I only care about the Cup - maybe we never will get the respect we deserve...so be it..as long as this team plays hard and tries hard and..if they win the cup - everyone else can screw off.

I want the Cup!

Melrose has never been right in the history of hockey. The Sabres are lucky to have him pulling for Ottawa. Good thing ESPN kept him on. It can't be cheap to keep that mullet full of Soul Glo.

Archived