TBN: 'Glaring roster questions'

PASabreFan

On 7/27/2023 at 7:12 PM, sabremike said:

I don't want to be negative but when the plan is to hope Levi is essentially a generational level talent in being able to go straight from college (as an underclassmen no less) to the NHL while splitting games with a guy who is slightly better than David Ayers and one of the worst goalies in the entire league who has shown zero signs he will ever figure it out that doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

For those who don't think UPL is any good:  He led the Sabres in wins last year, a mark that set the Sabres rookie goalie record.  It's a bygone conclusion that Levi will break that record this season, but we'll see.  I don't think UPL is as awful as some people say.  If the Sabres had won as often with the rest of the goalie corps as they did with UPL they would have made the playoffs.

I think he's exactly what Kevyn hoped he was getting in Comrie.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Thanks (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Curt said:

I don’t think there is really anyone else.  Olofsson will probably be filling Quinn’s spot on a scoring line and PP.

It bugs me that I agree with this.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/22/2023 at 6:02 PM, That Aud Smell said:

I like Lance well enough, but it’s difficult to take him seriously when he writes this in response to a question about how the Sabres will compensate for Quinn’s injury.

image.thumb.png.ad4b765033fa51a2215e968bb0f6f6d3.png

Brett Murray, for one, has absolutely zero bearing on how the Sabres will fill the void left by Quinn’s injury.

Things are slow in the sports world. Lance has re-tooled his article from last month into a piece posted today.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/sabres/which-sabres-prospect-will-earn-the-roster-spot-created-by-jack-quinns-injury/article_c7d32092-3613-11ee-aecd-03ec2a23bcc9.html

I appreciate that they're being more careful with their language this time around:

image.thumb.png.7afc70f84df2178b0a48c0f6b74fdab5.png

• Haha (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2023 at 3:01 PM, Doohickie said:

For those who don't think UPL is any good:  He led the Sabres in wins last year, a mark that set the Sabres rookie goalie record.  It's a bygone conclusion that Levi will break that record this season, but we'll see.  I don't think UPL is as awful as some people say.  If the Sabres had won as often with the rest of the goalie corps as they did with UPL they would have made the playoffs.

Agree. I do have doubts UPL will ever be a #1 but he's not as bad as some seem to think.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/30/2023 at 12:01 PM, Doohickie said:

Seems to me i saw this reported somewhere too, but it's not accurate.

it's less than half the number of wins Donnie Edwards put up in his rookie season, and actually ranks 6th all-time

https://www.nhl.com/stats/goalies?aggregate=0&reportType=season&seasonFrom=19691970&seasonTo=20222023&gameType=2&playerPlayedFor=franchise.19&isRookie=1&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=wins,savePct&page=0&pageSize=50

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.