Draft needs

skip jibblet

On 6/4/2023 at 5:46 AM, skip jibblet said:

Trade anyone of the picks in a deal to get an experienced partner for Power. Must have some crunch in his game. 

2. Add RHD, early and often.

Not trading away a first (unless it's a spectacular return) . I would look at trading a second +

If no trades, I draft BPA BUT if 2 or 3 players are close in my ranking I'd probably go D and that should be an option in the 2nd round. Several possibles in our range. 

What do we have  8 picks I think? Ideally we end up with 3 forwards 4 D men and a goalie but if BPA doesn't allow that it is what it is and we look to free agency and trades for more D. 

I still think we should be talking to Boston about Gryzelyk. 

6 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Agreed.

If you must draft for need, you do it organizationally. My thoughts are... don't look at the NHL roster because it's 3 years out. And mostly, you can skip the AHL roster, too. Instead, you can base your needs on what is missing in all the feeder systems to maintain a healthy pipeline of potential NHL players. Example: Outside the NHL/AHL, the Sabres have 1 LHD (Lindgren), 1 RHD (Komarov), and 1 G (Leinonen) who you would give a "maybe NHL" grade to if they hit their peak and stay healthy. Nyberg and Lyckasen both appear to be outside the teams' plans. This draft, you'd best find some D and G.

Also, this year, I still seriously consider a late pick on a goalie for an AHL backup gig (Milic, Suchanek). I don't think they both make it through to UDFA status. That would be a need pick to keep Rochester competitive so the kids all get meaningful games and a playoff-caliber squad.

Also, also, draft by the coolest and most Star Warsy-sounding names. That's a need.

The organizational depth thing though is still such a fluid process that can change quickly. If the late round defenseman from one year pans out while the mid round forward doesn’t, the depth between the two positions can quickly flip.

And then there’s the fact that you have to dress twice as many forwards as defensemen. If you’re going in targeting D, your depth chart can get out of whack quickly. 

But then again, when a team drafts 85 players a year like the Sabres have the last couple years, there’s definitely going to be a lot of prospects at each position. 

Edited by shrader

1 hour ago, shrader said:

The organizational depth thing though is still such a fluid process that can change quickly. If the late round defenseman from one year pans out while the mid round forward doesn’t, the depth between the two positions can quickly flip.

And then there’s the fact that you have to dress twice as many forwards as defensemen. If you’re going in targeting D, your depth chart can get out of whack quickly. 

But then again, when a team drafts 85 players a year like the Sabres have the last couple years, there’s definitely going to be a lot of prospects at each position. 

Certainly -- the team's D depth got out of whack because Power skipped all pipeline work and went right to top-4 minutes, which is great; the rest of the 2021 draft had only 1 D out of the remaining 10 picks and the 2022 draft had only 2 D from 11 picks. A little course correction is necessary.

This year, with 8 picks, something like 4-3-1  would be good, but even 3-4-1 wouldn't be bad. The pipeline still has Savoie, Östlund, Poltapov, and Richard as maybes (plus the AHL stockpile).

Next year, start easing back to balance.

Draft needs to me really isn't about needs but strategy:

-First round pick, best player available. Probably applies to 2nd round pick also.

-If there is ANY goalie you think has ANY kind of potential, take one in the later rounds.  Prospects of all positions wash out, but goalies drafted in the later rounds have a much better chance of becoming quality NHL players than other positions players do in the later rounds.

-If you go heavy with Forwards in the early rounds, take some D in the late rounds. Heavy with D early, take some forwards. Keep it balanced.

The NHL draft is always such a gamble, the above is all I really like to see each year.  Management/scouting of the Sabres (or any team for that matter) knows hundreds and hundreds of times more than I do so you have to trust them, just stay within the above boundries and I'm happy.

19 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Draft needs to me really isn't about needs but strategy:

-First round pick, best player available. Probably applies to 2nd round pick also.

-If there is ANY goalie you think has ANY kind of potential, take one in the later rounds.  Prospects of all positions wash out, but goalies drafted in the later rounds have a much better chance of becoming quality NHL players than other positions players do in the later rounds.

-If you go heavy with Forwards in the early rounds, take some D in the late rounds. Heavy with D early, take some forwards. Keep it balanced.

The NHL draft is always such a gamble, the above is all I really like to see each year.  Management/scouting of the Sabres (or any team for that matter) knows hundreds and hundreds of times more than I do so you have to trust them, just stay within the above boundries and I'm happy.

I think by the third round that BPA differences are razor thin. The analytics/scouts may have a darling who is still available but is rated a fifth rounder by everyone else.

You can look at need and balance a little more mid to late draft as the difference between the 75th and 76th best forwards is pretty small. Same with the 40th and 41st best Dman.
Certain qualities may stand out while the warts can be worked on.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Start grabbing Russian Goalie Prospects in the 4th Round 

Been saying that most of this off-season.  As soon as they're out of the "likely NHLer" picks should be looking to grab the top Russian goalie prospect available.

Especially now that there are a bunch of Russians in the pipeline, grabbing a Russian goalie prospect would seem to be a solid option.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.