Why you shouldn't be so harsh on GMs (Or, PA was right all along!)

dudacek

20 hours ago, nfreeman said:

What?

Here's what you said:

Are you seriously claiming that you didn't say that the article supports the theory that TP ordered the trade?

When you are caught slinging #hammymath, the solution is not more #hammymath.

This reminds me I’m out of bologna ugh!

• Haha (+1) 2

I've been thinking about former Sabre and 2nd round RHD Brandon Montour  (13G - 48A) these days. 

When the Sabres first traded for him from Anaheim, they gave up Brendan Guhle and a conditional first. Guhle shuffled between AHL and NHL for a couple years, had some injuries and then retired (permanently?) from the NHL. He's now playing for a team in Europe. I always wondered what that conditional first turned into for Anaheim.

Montour was doing well for Buffalo but then they traded him for a third rounder, Stiven Sardaryan (2G-5A, 29G UNH). I know Montour cost almost $4 million but he's a productive player and with Buffalo's lack of RHD, I always wondered why? It sounds to me like two failed trades for one player who's doing well.  

• Like (+1) 1

Hard part in situations like this sometimes the owners do the right thing but choose the wrong person and get burned, then the next guy they hire they make pay for the sins of their forebears instead of trying the same strategy with a new face. 

Tim Murray was setup for success and his approach wasn’t necessarily a bad approach, he was just a terrible asset manager and terrible talent evaluator. Until KA we were paying for Murray’s sins. 

People can blame KA all day, but if his actual plan always was Levi once he got him, then he never made a mistake. Nobody ever got in the way of Levi starting at first chance. 

Edited by triumph_communes

1 hour ago, Quint said:

I've been thinking about former Sabre and 2nd round RHD Brandon Montour  (13G - 48A) these days. 

When the Sabres first traded for him from Anaheim, they gave up Brendan Guhle and a conditional first. Guhle shuffled between AHL and NHL for a couple years, had some injuries and then retired (permanently?) from the NHL. He's now playing for a team in Europe. I always wondered what that conditional first turned into for Anaheim.

Montour was doing well for Buffalo but then they traded him for a third rounder, Stiven Sardaryan (2G-5A, 29G UNH). I know Montour cost almost $4 million but he's a productive player and with Buffalo's lack of RHD, I always wondered why? It sounds to me like two failed trades for one player who's doing well.  

I have thought about this a bit myself, mostly because before he was even traded to Buffalo, I heard a lot about he was an above average D-man that was young and had a lot of upside. Then he came to Buffalo....

My view, opinion, and I have not many facts to go on this but just how I feel...is he came here to a bad situation. The team was a mess, the coaching staff was a mess, and he (like a LOT of people) were not used correctly and forced to play a system they didn't like.  He didn't perform well in that system, and as a result soured on the team in general.  Both sides were good with him moving on. He goes to a better team and is allowed to play differently, and he is more engaged and his play gets better.  In my mind, a great example of how you kinda 'ruin' a player by putting them in a bad situation/coaching situation.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Quint said:

Didn’t want to be here.

Didnt fit KAs timeline.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Weave said:

Didn’t want to be here.

Didnt fit KAs timeline.

Plus he'd been playing on a 1 year deal that walked him to UFA status that season.  If they didn't trade him, they'd've had absolutely nothing but cap space after he walked.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Taro T said:

Plus he'd been playing on a 1 year deal that walked him to UFA status that season.  If they didn't trade him, they'd've had absolutely nothing but cap space after he walked.

The market is the market, but I still think that a 3rd was too low a return for a RHD of his ability at the deadline.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, dudacek said:

The market is the market, but I still think that a 3rd was too low a return for a RHD of his ability at the deadline.

Agreed.  And as one of the people that wanted the Sabres to find a way to keep him was very disappointed that they couldn't even get what Moe-ray-all got for Scandella.

2 hours ago, Quint said:

Could be in line for a top 10 Norris finish and might outscore Dahlin. Definitely a shame it didn’t work out. Just another piece of evidence for why Botterill’s talent analysis was often reasonable but his team building was awful 

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.