Buffalo Sabres Are Not The Worst PK In League Today

bob_sauve28

https://www.covers.com/sport/hockey/nhl/statistics/team-penaltykilling/2022-2023

Vancouver is now. 

This is the most serious issue with the team right now. Can't go far in hockey life with a loser PK 

Two questions and I'll hang up (Go get stuff done before the game) and listen for the answer: 

Were the trades made specifically to address this issue? 

What do we have to do better on this? 

Ok three questions. Is this all about the goaltending? He's the most important penalty killer 

Good questions.   Could be the players but probably a combination of that and the way it’s coached. 

None of the D seem good at it except Dahlin. They miss too many opportunities to find an opening and clear the puck.  Especially Looby. 

I think Z, Kyle, Krebs, Jost and  Tuch (not Tage) should be able to cover the forward spots. 

Just when the teams face off performance starts getting better, the PK drops to basement levels. 

• Like (+1) 2

Goaltending.  We have lousy goaltending and that equals a lousy PK. 

Out of goalies 74 goalies with 10 games or more this season,  Anderson is a respectable 21st with a .882 save %, but UPL and Comrie have been worse than awful.  UPL is 60th (of 74) at .835 and Comrie is horrific at 71st at .778.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

I'm going to agree goaltending is part of it, but I think there is something else that is a bigger issue that has a couple parts.

This team does not always play their best penalty killers.  If they did you would just get a steady flow of Girgensons and Okposo and maybe Jost up front.  If one of them are in the box then you work someone else out there but not that often.  The Sabres currently use Thompson, Krebs, Mitts, Cozens and even Quinn are getting PK time. Right now, none of them are really good at PK. Yes, even Cozens isn't that good on the PK.  I don't actually mind Thompson out there because of his size/reach, but compared to the Vets, he gets out of position alot (not as much as Cozens, but he's still learning I guess)

So what is my point and why do I bring this up?  The coaching staff is not trying to sabotage the PK, but they are still worried about development, getting guys out there in all situations so they are at least exposed to it.  If you watch the replays, a lot of the PK goals allowed are when the positioning breaks down, or the guys out there dont' really know what their teammates are doing and fail to cover the right way.  

I'm hoping next year the number of players getting ice time will  narrow a bit.  Cozens can be/is a good two way player, but as of now he isn't that good on PK, he is too aggressive and chases the puck too much and gets out of position.  Mitts, Krebs, and Thompson aren't much better.  Power and Dahlin have a skill set that will make them good on PK, but I would rather they rest on PK and just get the other guys experience and hammer home to them to stay in their position.

Again, I don't think it is coaching, I think it is the rotation and 'development of players' philosophy, and I'm hoping/thinking it gets better next year.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Agree 1

On 3/4/2023 at 9:37 AM, Pimlach said:

Good questions.   Could be the players but probably a combination of that and the way it’s coached. 

None of the D seem good at it except Dahlin. They miss too many opportunities to find an opening and clear the puck.  Especially Looby. 

I think Z, Kyle, Krebs, Jost and  Tuch (not Tage) should be able to cover the forward spots. 

Just when the teams face off performance starts getting better, the PK drops to basement levels. 

To remember Luce & Ramsey being so great at this part of the game. The goaltending was better also. 

Then seeing a call against us and basically thinking it's 50/50 we give up a goal. 

Better Asst. Coaches ?  They tend to specialize in PP amd PK setups. Results aren't there yet. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.