Erik Portillo traded to the Kings for a 2023 3rd Round Pick

Brawndo

On 3/3/2023 at 9:42 PM, French Collection said:

Interesting that they get a 3rd for Portillo and only a 7th for Asplund, an actual NHL player.

Portillo is an excellent prospect, with LA needing depth at the position. Asplund felt like Buffalo was sending him somewhere where he could play routinely.  After he got passed by Jost and Krebs.

On 3/2/2023 at 4:30 PM, shrader said:

When you draft a player out of major junior, you have 2 years to sign him.  When you draft a player out of college, you have 4 years to sign him.  Those lousy no good cheating college kids... make it 5 years.

edit: It's already been addressed.  But this topic comes up over and over again.  Someone spurned my team, so we need to change the rules so I can't ever be hurt again.  What, the rules already favor my team in that situation?  I don't care, rejection sucks.

Except you can sign a CHL player and send him back to the CHL. You can not sign an NCAA player and send him back to the NCAA. It's not an apples to apples comparison. 

If you want to solve the NCAA players walking into free agency, have the NCAA change the rules and allow signed players to continue to play collegiate hockey. Problem solved.

Although, admittedly, I guess this ruins the amateur sports goal for the NCAA. Remember, the NCAA is a non-profit focused on the purity of the sport by allowing amateur athletes to compete against each other while obtaining a valuable college education. It's not like it's a billion-dollar tax shelter with senior executives making multiple millions a year and student-athletes who regularly flout academic requirements while inking millions in NIL deals. It's certainly not a minor league for the most popular sport in the US with coaches and staff making far more than minor league coaches and staff in other leagues. It's a serious organization for the betterment of the student athletes.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

Although, admittedly, I guess this ruins the amateur sports goal for the NCAA. Remember, the NCAA is a non-profit focused on the purity of the sport by allowing amateur athletes to compete against each other while obtaining a valuable college education. It's not like it's a billion-dollar tax shelter with senior executives making multiple millions a year and student-athletes who regularly flout academic requirements while inking millions in NIL deals. It's certainly not a minor league for the most popular sport in the US with coaches and staff making far more than minor league coaches and staff in other leagues. It's a serious organization for the betterment of the student athletes.

Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards

Edited by LGR4GM

18 hours ago, Rasmus_ said:

Portillo is an excellent prospect, with LA needing depth at the position. Asplund felt like Buffalo was sending him somewhere where he could play routinely.  After he got passed by Jost and Krebs.

Show me one prospects list thst puts Portillo in the top ten goalie mix. Goalies are funny so he might still turn out to be good but right now he’s s fringe prospect at best. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I was thinking about this WRT Ryan Johnson. KA shipped out Portillo's rights because he indicated he wasn't signing. Does this indicate that Johnson has said he will be signing, or at worst still undecided? Otherwise I would assume KA would have traded his rights also, no?

1 minute ago, JustOneParade said:

I was thinking about this WRT Ryan Johnson. KA shipped out Portillo's rights because he indicated he wasn't signing. Does this indicate that Johnson has said he will be signing, or at worst still undecided? Otherwise I would assume KA would have traded his rights also, no?

There have been whispers Johnson is going to sign.

But all this really confirms is that no one offered a 2nd round pick for him.

The Sabres get a late 2nd as compensation if he walks.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JustOneParade said:

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

There have been whispers Johnson is going to sign.

But all this really confirms is that no one offered a 2nd round pick for him.

The Sabres get a late 2nd as compensation if he walks.

Like @dudacek said, Johnson having been a 1st round pick was in a different situatio than Portillo was in.  If a team is unable to sign a 1st rounder before their exclusive window to negotiate with that player expires, the team gets a 2nd round pick in the next draft after the team no longer controls his rights in the same slot as the player was originally drafted in the 1st round.   Johnson was selected 31st overall, so if he bolts the Sabres get the 31st pick of the 2nd round of the '24 draft and all other picks in that draft will slide back 1 slot.

So, for somebody to get Johnson from the Sabres they'd have to offer something better than that 63rd overall pick next year.

But it does seem that he will sign in Buffalo.  And the Sabres only picking up 1 D-man at the deadline instead of 2 like they really kind of need could be another indication that Johnson will sign.  They'll get his service this year down the stretch while he's on that post-NCAA initial foray into the NHL sugar high and they can get that extra D-man they'll still need in the summer.

• Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, RochesterExpat said:

Except you can sign a CHL player and send him back to the CHL. You can not sign an NCAA player and send him back to the NCAA. It's not an apples to apples comparison. 

If you want to solve the NCAA players walking into free agency, have the NCAA change the rules and allow signed players to continue to play collegiate hockey. Problem solved.

Maybe it’s me, but is this sarcasm? How much money do these universities get taxed on their endowment or donations? Have you looked at how much university president (or head coaches!) make? Have you looked at the size of their broadcasting deals?

14 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Maybe it’s me, but is this sarcasm? How much money do these universities get taxed on their endowment or donations? Have you looked at how much university president (or head coaches!) make? Have you looked at the size of their broadcasting deals?

It was 100% sarcasm. The NCAA is a joke.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.