Derek Roy

Corp000085

What a strong game by Roy....I really think Roy can be a 70-80 point guy in the NHL for years to come...

Funniest thing about his great performance last night, his biggest play might have been a missed shot: He took the shot from the left side and the puck went behind the net which led to the game typing goal...that is why I always say...throw the shot on net and good things can happen

His stealing the puck from the rookie defenseman on the shorthanded goal might be the biggest little play of the game.

I just read that Derek is from Rockland. Rockland Roy. Rocky. The boy is solid.

It's hard to discuss one player of this roster. :rolleyes:

Roy has played great. He may be the poster child for the Sabres and the 'New NHL'. Without the new rules, which really aren't new they're just enforceing them, Roy may have never gotten his full chance.

Again, I owe Darcy Regier and the Sabres front office a huge apology. Their faith in players like Roy is why the Sabres have done what they have. I know I'm not the only one. But I appear to be the only one to admit it. :o

It's hard to discuss one player of this roster. :rolleyes:

Roy has played great. He may be the poster child for the Sabres and the 'New NHL'. Without the new rules, which really aren't new they're just enforceing them, Roy may have never gotten his full chance.

Again, I owe Darcy Regier and the Sabres front office a huge apology. Their faith in players like Roy is why the Sabres have done what they have. I know I'm not the only one. But I appear to be the only one to admit it. :o

Give yourself more credit. Darcy didn't know how his team would translate in this "new NHL" (starting to loathe the term"). Sure he could have predicted how his team would benefit but not to this extent. I think the real story of the team this year is the breakout of Connolly, Lydman, Tallinder, Roy and Campbell. All of them have sriously stepped up their games and have benefitted from the rules but Darcy could not have seen this coming.

I really wasn't as surprised, only because we got to see these guys dominate last season here in Rochester. I mean we knew we had some special players in Miller, Vanek, and Roy, but even I was surprised at how well Gaustad played up in Buffalo this year in his role, and Pominville. I should be mad that Buffalo took him from us this year and never game him back. He's been a real pleasant surprise. :P

Regier (and Golisano) took a lot of heat for standing firm when free agency opened last year, but they had faith in what they had, and it looks like its paying off.

2 games, 8 points, discuss...

I like the way is skating as hard as he can everytime he is on the ice. Just flying! If Brian Holzinger had been that way he might still be playing. Go out, Go hard and don't stop till your shift is over. Pomenville is that way, too. Love em!

Give yourself more credit. Darcy didn't know how his team would translate in this "new NHL" (starting to loathe the term"). Sure he could have predicted how his team would benefit but not to this extent. I think the real story of the team this year is the breakout of Connolly, Lydman, Tallinder, Roy and Campbell. All of them have sriously stepped up their games and have benefitted from the rules but Darcy could not have seen this coming.

I'd agree with that sentiment. I'm not saying Darcy wasn't planning and hoping for the "New NHL" to look like this, but the fact that the season has turned out the way it has, was more than anyone - including Darcy - could ever hope for.

Hats off to Lindy though. I've been one of the more vocal in calling for his dismissal, but so far he's really shown what he's made of. On top of that, he seems to have learned from past mistakes in handling the goalies, and breaking up good lines prematurely.

Although, I'm not a huge fan of the way Darcy handles things sometimes, but we have to give the guy credit for the job that they have done so far. I'll probably be disappointed if we don't resign McKee in the off-season since I think they will do the usual and low-ball him but let's hope not. As for Lindy, I've always thought he was a pretty good coach and done the best he could with what he had. Now, if they could pronounce Roy's name properly that would be nice too.

Well said, DeLuca. With this experience under your belt, perhaps you'll consider giving Marv Levy and his guys a bit of a break too? At least until they start playing the games? (Unless someone else is posting under your handle at TSW, in which case I retract the above.)

Well said, DeLuca. With this experience under your belt, perhaps you'll consider giving Marv Levy and his guys a bit of a break too? At least until they start playing the games? (Unless someone else is posting under your handle at TSW, in which case I retract the above.)

Which reminds me, it's been a long time since we've seen a really negative DeLuca. Or Toddkaz for that matter.

Okay...I'll join you in confession. I was not sold on this roster and at the beginning of the year, I was all over the following players...

Drury

Grier

Campbell

Connolly

All 4 of these guys have been good to very good so far in the playoffs. I will now go say 10 Our Fathers and 5 Hail Marys.

Thank you for hearing my confession. :rolleyes:

I won't say that I saw this team coming, but I definitely knew that some of our "no names" had the talent to play, mostly because I saw many of them start their NHL or Sabres careers in the 2002-03 and 04-04 seasons (bought partial season tickets to try to help the team out, I wish they'd send me some free tix for just one playoff game as a thank you for sitting through those games!).

But while the Sabres weren't winning a lot back then, you could see that guys like Hecht, Briere, Greir, and Mair had what it took. In 02-03 Miller also started in net and had a few signs of brilliance. Also anyone who watched Rochester last year saw what guys like Gastaud and Pominville could do.

I think Darcy took a gamble on this team figuring that with their speed they couldn't possibly lose as many as 02-03 and 03-04. Whether he saw a trip to the conf. semi-finals is debatable, but I think he clearly gambled correctly.

Archived