Buffalo sets all-time seasonal snowfall record thru December!

matter2003

Buffalo has done it!!

This needs its own thread as it's a monumental achievement as records go back to 1878 here.

With the 6.2" recorded today at the airport thru 10am, Buffalo has set the all-time record for most snowfall in a season thru December with 98.9", breaking the 95.9" previous record set in 2000. Current storm total is 49.7" officially.

Almost a foregone conclusion this will be the first time ever Buffalo records 100+" of snow by the end of December(a given based on the previous record being 95.9"). Still lightly snowing and expecting 3-5" more tonight and 1-3" tomorrow.

It's been a hell of a winter already...now Buffalo sets it's eyes on becoming the first city with 100K+ population to ever get 200" in a season in the US. Buffalo also hols that record of 199.2" in the infamous 1976-77 season(blizzard of 77).

As a sidenote, 2000 saw the 2nd highest seasonal snowfall ever of 158.7".

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Unreal.  This is the second time in the past decade we had something comparable to 1977 after years of false alarms.

Also unreal we get this 5 weeks after Snowvember II gave us 7 feet of snow in places as well.

Hamburg has over 140" right now...maybe even 150" on the year so far.

• Like (+1) 1

just wild. I was in town for the November storm. I was 5 years old for 77 so I really don’t remember too much. I do remember 85 and the 10+ foot piles all over the place. I couldn’t imagine living through what you all have just lived through this past weekend. 

bless you all especially the first responders, DPW & snow removal crews, and all the volunteers and regular people who did what the could to help  

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Sidc3000 said:

just wild. I was in town for the November storm. I was 5 years old for 77 so I really don’t remember too much. I do remember 85 and the 10+ foot piles all over the place. I couldn’t imagine living through what you all have just lived through this past weekend. 

bless you all especially the first responders, DPW & snow removal crews, and all the volunteers and regular people who did what the could to help  

I was 7 years old in the blizzard of 77. It was a blast building snow forts where the snow plows piled up the snow along our street. Of course I was just a kid, I'm sure my folks did not think it was a blast.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, sabresouth said:

I was 7 years old in the blizzard of 77. It was a blast building snow forts where the snow plows piled up the snow along our street. Of course I was just a kid, I'm sure my folks did not think it was a blast.

Yeh I was 12, got my first paper route the day that thing hit... dug snow forts and tunnels you could stand up in... it was awesome!

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Buffalo has done it!!

This needs its own thread as it's a monumental achievement as records go back to 1878 here.

With the 6.2" recorded today at the airport thru 10am, Buffalo has set the all-time record for most snowfall in a season thru December with 98.9", breaking the 95.9" previous record set in 2000. Current storm total is 49.7" officially.

Almost a foregone conclusion this will be the first time ever Buffalo records 100+" of snow by the end of December(a given based on the previous record being 95.9"). Still lightly snowing and expecting 3-5" more tonight and 1-3" tomorrow.

It's been a hell of a winter already...now Buffalo sets it's eyes on becoming the first city with 100K+ population to ever get 200" in a season in the US. Buffalo also hols that record of 199.2" in the infamous 1976-77 season(blizzard of 77).

As a sidenote, 2000 saw the 2nd highest seasonal snowfall ever of 158.7".

Congrats by the way on using its and it's correctly in the same sentence. It's a rarity these days, which might also deserve its own thread!

Edited by John Gianelli
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

I have lived in WNY my entire life and can’t stand winter.  The only thing that makes it easier now, is that being retired, I don’t have to deal with the drive back and forth to work(suburbs to downtown) in a storm. 

The ability to work from home, not living in one of the lake effect snow alleys, and a plowing contractor make Winter much more tolerable.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

I have lived in WNY my entire life and can’t stand winter.  The only thing that makes it easier now, is that being retired, I don’t have to deal with the drive back and forth to work(suburbs to downtown) in a storm. 

Pro: I have been working from home since the Pandemic started and will continue to do so permanently.

Con: I have no "weather-related" days off now.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.