The Official Bi+ch about TV blackouts thread

sabre31_98

The didn't cut it off here in DC. Got to see the whole shabang. I can't believe they would cut it off in Buffalo. That's absolutely ridiculous!

On Ch. 4? :blink: Was watching third period from my home in Arlington, they went to a commercial, then came back to the Dallas-Colorado game.

My understanding of what happened is that local NBC affiliates that had been showing the Sabres game switched to the Avs game without CI swapping the blacked out game for that particular area. If that is the case, it ISN'T a CI issue, it is an NBC / NHL national TV contract issue. Areas such as Buffalo, NYC, Filadelphia, etc., where NBC would have expected the locals to have a definite preference to watch the Sabres game would not have switched. However, places like NC and Fla, where NBC would not expect to see a particular allegiance to that game appear to have been switched. (Heck, the local affiliates may have REQUESTED the switch, AFAIK at this time.) Since the local NBC affiliate would be the designated provider of 1st resort, if they switch away (for whatever reason) CI is out of luck, and far more importantly - Sabres fans in that affiliate's territory are out of luck. :(

If you are correct and CI made a poor choice of feeds, then shame on them; I expect they will be seeing a class action suit in the near future. If, however it was an NBC decision, CI's hands were tied. NBC gets dibs on games on the weekend and their decision to hose their viewers is not something that CI is responsible for. Also, if it was a CI feed that skipped part of the game, then NEVERMIND. (I don't think that was the case though.)

Hmmmm.....must be nice to be in a business, taking in revenues for a product you don't have to make any commitments on or be held accountable for. It's always someone else's fault and there's always a good explanation....just keep sending us your money.

From what I've heard, different markets switched over to the Avs game at different times. It has to be next to impossible for Center Ice to keep up with that and correct their feed market by market, if they're even allowed to.

How about the Sabres on TV in western canada? I've seen games all year on center ice.

Now that play-offs are here, it's TSN. Yesterday, TSN refuses to break away from the national midget-age hockey championships which takes a 3rd OT to settle. Unbelievable. As the cameras panned the rink at this midget game, it was not even half-full. Basically, only the moms and dads of these kids care about the game.

But there's TSN, disaffectionately known as The Toronto Sports Network out here in Western Canada, showing the midget championships. Commentator Dave Randorf joked, " Now the question is, will this game or the Sabre-Flyer game be done sooner". I'd like to punch his rat-like face.

Meanwhile, the 2 NBC channels I get up here, are showing Dallas. The NHL Network is showing, Dallas. The french TSN (RDS) is showing......Dallas. And finally, Center Ice is showing Dallas, but they have the Sabre game blacked out because TSN has the rights to carry the Sabre game. Oh yes, one final place to see the Sabre game was on the TSN Hi-Def channel, which i don't get.

So, it was DAllas 5, Buffalo 0. Oh ya, and canadian midget hockey 1. I honestly don't know how Bettman can be pleased with any of this. In this day and age, working out deals with the various cable providers and networks to ensure ANY and ALL of his games can be seen, should be attainable.

Oh one more thing, TSN broke away from the Sabre game with 12 minutes left to watch the last of the Dallas game.

From what I've heard, different markets switched over to the Avs game at different times. It has to be next to impossible for Center Ice to keep up with that and correct their feed market by market, if they're even allowed to.

I think this one is entirely on NBC. Center Ice didn't have an alternative feed to switch to this time, and if it was market by market it may very well have been beyond their control.

I didn't even realize there was a problem. My feed only switched while they were replacing the glass in the 2nd, and then after the buzzer.

That sounds pretty crummy that NBC was messing with the feed like that. And it sounds like Center Ice wasn't helping things much either. Here in Buffalo where I'm at the only time they switched over to the Dallas game was when the glass needed to be repaired in Buffalo. That only lasted a few minutes though. Otherwise we had the game from start to finish.

I would like to know, where is the outrage from sports writers, columnist and especially from the management of the teams affected (MR GOLISANO)...If the NHL is indeed complicit in this through their bargaining of broadcast contracts and allow this disrepect to the fans of this sport, as an owner I would be smacking that little geek Bettman around in the press. Twice now these same two teams have been given the shaft by this league.

They switched feeds twice. Once during a glass repair in Buffalo, which was understandable, and then switched for good after the 3rd goal. The entire country, except for the Buffalo and Philadelphia markets were changed at that time. You mean to tell me that they don't have the technology available to unblackout the game on CenterIce one the entire country (with the exception of the Buffalo and Philadelphia markets) are stwitched to the only other game on TV. It's not like there were 5 games on in 50 different markets. This isn't rocket science.

They switched feeds twice. Once during a glass repair in Buffalo, which was understandable, and then switched for good after the 3rd goal. The entire country, except for the Buffalo and Philadelphia markets were changed at that time. You mean to tell me that they don't have the technology available to unblackout the game on CenterIce one the entire country (with the exception of the Buffalo and Philadelphia markets) are stwitched to the only other game on TV. It's not like there were 5 games on in 50 different markets. This isn't rocket science.

That is not true. I am in the NYC area (WNBC) and we only switched for the glass change, and as soon as the final buzzer sounded.

Channel 7 in Boston switched to the Avs/Stars game for good with 8 minutes to go -- right at the commercial. My son was watching with me and it took everything I had to contain myself.

Definitely was a regional thing... grrrrrr.

That's why everyone should just move to Rochester :D

I have no idea what you guys are talking about since well, my Sabres feed always stays as a Sabres feed. Sorry to hear about all the troubles you all have.

But at the same time you all must realize that no one wants to watch a game that it "done" out side of this market. If Ottawa played TB today and they were winning 3-0 in the 3rd and the Edmonton Detroit game was tied i wouldn't mind them switching to the better game.

That's why everyone should just move to Rochester :D

I have no idea what you guys are talking about since well, my Sabres feed always stays as a Sabres feed. Sorry to hear about all the troubles you all have.

But at the same time you all must realize that no one wants to watch a game that it "done" out side of this market. If Ottawa played TB today and they were winning 3-0 in the 3rd and the Edmonton Detroit game was tied i wouldn't mind them switching to the better game.

I'd rather watch the hypothetical ottawa game and have the OPTION to switch to the detroit game if i want. that's what my $130 bought me in october, the option to switch. NBC is playing with fire here... philly is a big time market and golisano is big time powerful with the owners. these two games, as well as others affected next weekend, will not go unnoticed.

I'd rather watch the hypothetical ottawa game and have the OPTION to switch to the detroit game if i want. that's what my $130 bought me in october, the option to switch. NBC is playing with fire here... philly is a big time market and golisano is big time powerful with the owners. these two games, as well as others affected next weekend, will not go unnoticed.

Actually, although it won't go unnoticed, it likely will go unaffected. NBC and the NHL (which are partnering on their broadcasts) most likely have a lot more $'s at stake on the "over the air" broadcasts than they do on the CI feeds. To the best of my knowledge, no advertiser pays for viewers over CI (that is gravy), they pay for viewers in their local market (or national market, depending upon the source of the ad). Nielson doesn't track CI type packages nor (unfortunately for border cities like Buffalo) do they count foreign viewers in a particular market. NBC has a minimal stake in the CI franchise (they simply get rights fees to have their broadcast shown on CI), they don't really care whether people buy CI or not. That probably is not true, they probably actually PREFER people not buying CI because their tracked Neilson ratings will be higher with people being forced to watch THEIR broadcast if they watch any broadcast at all. (Heck, last time I checked, Nielson doesn't track viewership in places like bars which is why the Bills were asked by the league to stop their benefit for Roswell Park, where they would show the away Fish game in the field house. They didn't like the ratings for the game going down because a couple 1000 people were watching the game there.)

The NHL also knows that they have those of us that bought CI exactly where they want us. They are still (from every action I've witnessed) more concerned with adding the casual fan rather than maintaining the hard core fan base. Thus, broadcasts with female "sideline" reporters and babbling about the "history" of the game, rather than stating which Phlyer is getting hit by Grier this shift.

Also, as an aside, the Game 2 problem was a CI issue and it sounds as if they have made corrections to keep that from happening again (whether they really have will remain to be seen). The Game 5 issue was an NBC issue which I really doubt CI had any remedies available to them (due to contractual issues).

I agree with you, that ideally you should be able to have the option to watch either game. I also think you should have the option to watch whichever feed you want. I don't see either of these happening until products like the slingbox are in everyone's household and you get some sort of Napster-ish program sharing going. When not providing people what they want starts costing them money, they will adjust; until then, I see inertia taking over.

And once again, I think it stinks that people didn't get to watch all of the game.

I'm in Boston and when it happened I immediately IMed a Philly fan I know in Maine. His feed hadn't been switched over yet. It finally happened one or two commercial breaks later.

I'm a little lost here. I watched the NBC CI feed, and here they carried the whole game. The only time they switched was while the glass was being repaired. Once play resumed, they went right back to Buff for the rest of the game.

I'm a little lost here. I watched the NBC CI feed, and here they carried the whole game. The only time they switched was while the glass was being repaired. Once play resumed, they went right back to Buff for the rest of the game.

I have CI. If your local NBC affiliate showed the Sabres game, the CI feed was blacked out. Most of the local NBC affliates switched off of the Sabres game and went to the Stars game. Hence, there was no way for me to watch the completion of the game because the CI feed was blacked out and my NBC affliate switched games. You were lucky that your local NBC showed the Stars game.

Archived