The Official Bi+ch about TV blackouts thread

sabre31_98

Everyone else just lose the OLN game too?

good thing i didn't unpin this thread... haha

yes, OLN cut away for about 2 minutes, missing the drury goal to make it 7-1... in the meantime, they show zero shots in the montreal game.

Didn't realize it was a quick look into the game, but I missed a goal...at least they let us watch the Flyer faithful sit on their hands and look stunned throughout the handshake...

I thought this would be the right thread to say that I am beyond anger right now about the TV schedule for the second round. I go to college in Fredonia and obviously I can't afford digital cable, much less the center ice package on top of it. Time Warner doesn't provide OLN to this area, therefore I CANNOT EVEN WATCH GAME 1 or 4. This is complete B.S. It's a travesty that I can't even watch my home team play. I'm 45 minutes from downtown Buffalo! Thanks for the TV deal, NHL.

Goodfella...that is insane man. I feel for you.

Of course, being a college student, shouldn't you be almost done with courses/exams by Friday? At the very least, during Game 1 on Friday night, you'll be done for the day, meaning you should be able to get to a bar, or better yet, just come up to Buffalo for the night and chill at Pearl St.

By the time game 4 rolls around, I would guess (hope) that you'll be pretty much done with exams, and will be able to find a bar to get to Thursday night as well. Of course, I realize that these are both unnacceptable solutions and ridiculous...

If the League is intent on "growing" itself, it needs to find a way to make sure it can be seen by as many viewers as possible. By frustrating and alienating it's hardcore fans, it makes no sense. At the same time, the casual fan or curious non-fans can't even find hockey most nights.

We in the Buffalo market should be thanking our lucky stars that we get CBC...if this wasn't the case, the playoff situation on TV could have ended up being a mess.

yea I am thinking about driving home but then I have to buy costly gasoline, haha. I can't win. There is only one bar that I know of around here that gets OLN, and its over-priced but maybe I will go and drink slowly so it looks like I'm constantly buying beer.

Forgive me if I sound cheap, but thats the way it goes in college. Anyways this would all be avoided if the NHL just would have settled on a contract with ESPN...instead they are showing rodeo or something, what a great thing to show in the northeast...yee-ha!

Goodfella, I agree...you're inbetween a rock and a hard place with this one.

I wonder...would it have been more beneficial for the NHL to have accepted a lower priced deal with ESPN, than accept a higher priced contract with OLN?

With no ESPN deal, the NHL almost seems to no longer matter to ESPN...they devote about 2 minutes of coverage during an hour-long SportsCenter, and even then, their anchors don't usually pronounce names correctly. You have to think that if ESPN was carrying the playoffs, they'd be pimping the league much more than they currently do.

Even though the NHL wouldn't be getting as much revenue, they would be getting a TON more exposure, which I would think would be a good trade-off at this point in time. Thoughts?

I wonder...would it have been more beneficial for the NHL to have accepted a lower priced deal with ESPN, than accept a higher priced contract with OLN?

With no ESPN deal, the NHL almost seems to no longer matter to ESPN...they devote about 2 minutes of coverage during an hour-long SportsCenter, and even then, their anchors don't usually pronounce names correctly. You have to think that if ESPN was carrying the playoffs, they'd be pimping the league much more than they currently do.

Even though the NHL wouldn't be getting as much revenue, they would be getting a TON more exposure, which I would think would be a good trade-off at this point in time. Thoughts?

Was ESPN even interested?

I'd say that based on the fact that a large portion of the U.S. is without access to OLN, the NHL would in fact have made more money by accepting a lower priced deal with ESPN. I really don't understand the logic in going with OLN (although I suppose if it was the best possible deal, financially, thats why it happened).

I know what you're saying about sportscenter...I have never been a big fan of that show anyway because it jumps around from sport to sport with no rhyme or reason..andI don't watch baseball or basketball so I am forced to sit through stuff I don't care about...but now with no TV deal, their hockey coverage is an absolute joke. Golf gets about as much coverage on there, if not more. Personally I would have loved a deal similar to what the NBA has established with TNT....they are running a "40 games in 40 nights" promotion for the playoffs this year....if that was hockey, I would be fired up. Wish the NHL could get a deal similar to that but it appears as though they are set with OLN next year too. At least maybe then OLN will expand its availability

I'd say that based on the fact that a large portion of the U.S. is without access to OLN, the NHL would in fact have made more money by accepting a lower priced deal with ESPN. I really don't understand the logic in going with OLN (although I suppose if it was the best possible deal, financially, thats why it happened).

I know what you're saying about sportscenter...I have never been a big fan of that show anyway because it jumps around from sport to sport with no rhyme or reason..andI don't watch baseball or basketball so I am forced to sit through stuff I don't care about...but now with no TV deal, their hockey coverage is an absolute joke. Golf gets about as much coverage on there, if not more. Personally I would have loved a deal similar to what the NBA has established with TNT....they are running a "40 games in 40 nights" promotion for the playoffs this year....if that was hockey, I would be fired up. Wish the NHL could get a deal similar to that but it appears as though they are set with OLN next year too. At least maybe then OLN will expand its availability

I don't remember hearing about ESPN making lower offers to the NHL. And in Comcast's defense, they are really trying to make OLN more readiily available. I would be more mad at your cable company than the NHL or Comcast (OLN).

Forgive me if I sound cheap, but thats the way it goes in college.

Let's see if I get this right. In three different posts you claim:

You can't get digital cable because of cost;

You can't drive to Buffalo to watch the game because of the price of gas;

You won't go to a bar to watch the game because of the high cost of drinks...

Christ, I went to college too...and it sounds like you live in a refrigerator box...but instead of moaning about how you can't see the games, try thinking of ways to see the games.

I'm sorry, I don't feel your pain. There are ample opportunities to see the second round on TV...you want them all on over-the-air television? Not happening. You're in Fredonia? Grab a buddy, WALK to a bar with MSG or OLN (come on, more than one will have the game on) order a couple a Cream Ales and enjoy.

Let's see if I get this right. In three different posts you claim:

You can't get digital cable because of cost;

You can't drive to Buffalo to watch the game because of the price of gas;

You won't go to a bar to watch the game because of the high cost of drinks...

Christ, I went to college too...and it sounds like you live in a refrigerator box...but instead of moaning about how you can't see the games, try thinking of ways to see the games.

I'm sorry, I don't feel your pain. There are ample opportunities to see the second round on TV...you want them all on over-the-air television? Not happening. You're in Fredonia? Grab a buddy, WALK to a bar with MSG or OLN (come on, more than one will have the game on) order a couple a Cream Ales and enjoy.

I really didn't ask you to "feel my pain." If you read the thread title, this is the OFFICIAL BI+CH ABOUT TV BLACKOUT THREADS, so I will complain as much as I damn well please. If you think that is "moaning" then obviously you don't understand what it's like for some of us who go to college. The true point is not even that, it's the fact that I am located a mere 45 minutes from downtown Buffalo, and I can't even watch the home team from my own personal TV set. That is a joke

Archived