The Italian Kid Did It!

Porous Five Hole

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

Ah, quite so. I was imprecise. So, maybe .01 in the black?

What I really meant was “thou shalt lose no money” — the sort of edict pursuant to which an as*hole boss keeps his reports in an uncomfortably warm 45 minute silence until someone offers to pay him for the unanticipated $250K bonus incurred during a Cup run season.

Also, I think you’re being pedantic and obtuse.

The entire damned discussion has been semantics and pedantics.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Edit: Pedantic, obtuse, and wrong. (Nota bene: “at”.)

image.thumb.png.60e1ed2d5fb83ba3816ac5797e28222c.png

Your beef is with Merriam and Webster.

You clearly wanted to paint Tom as a greedy guy who just wanted to make a buck. Your hand got caught in the cookie jar, top shelf.

2 hours ago, Weave said:

The entire damned discussion has been semantics and pedantics.

Fair deuce. And my apologies.

I legit had to go back today, review the thread, in order to recall (1) how we’d got where we were and (2) what the genesis of this sub-argument was.

36 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Your beef is with Merriam and Webster.

I won’t beef with them. Their definition is  generalized, diluted for the hoi polloi. The investment website’s (Chet’s and Muffy’s) definition sharpened the pencil, and proved you wrong.

39 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

You clearly wanted to paint Tom as a greedy guy who just wanted to make a buck. Your hand got caught in the cookie jar, top shelf.

Not at all. Read my posts: I wanted to paint, and indeed did paint, Tom as a huge as1hole of a boss who didn’t want this meatball (hockey puck) venture to cost him one thin dime. To wit: His demand that someone in senior management repay him for Jeff Jillson’s (sp?) bonus and the ensuing 45 minute silent treatment in an overly warm sunroom. That’s *his* story!

From such known facts — to which I’d ask you to stipulate (and to which you obstinately refused and in so doing dissembled) — I posited it as reasonable to infer that TG could’ve deferred inking a big deal and thereby cost the team its captain (another as1hole, btw!). And then there’s the sourced information confirming that that’s what went down. But no one on record saying so, as you *not unfairly* insist must be the case in order to credit a story.

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

Part of the problem I see from my 35,000 ft. view is one poster cares what another poster thinks or feels about a topic and or the poster himself. Stop caring. Problem solved.

No, you’re wrong!

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Part of the problem I see from my 35,000 ft. view is one poster cares what another poster thinks or feels about a topic and or the poster himself. Stop caring. Problem solved.

“cares.” 😂 

it’s mid-july on a hockey message board. I’m just messing about - sparring. having a little fun.

and whither a “problem”?

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Fair deuce. And my apologies.

I legit had to go back today, review the thread, in order to recall (1) how we’d got where we were and (2) what the genesis of this sub-argument was.

I won’t beef with them. Their definition is  generalized, diluted for the hoi polloi. The investment website’s (Chet’s and Muffy’s) definition sharpened the pencil, and proved you wrong.

Not at all. Read my posts: I wanted to paint, and indeed did paint, Tom as a huge as1hole of a boss who didn’t want this meatball (hockey puck) venture to cost him one thin dime. To wit: His demand that someone in senior management repay him for Jeff Jillson’s (sp?) bonus and the ensuing 45 minute silent treatment in an overly warm sunroom. That’s *his* story!

From such known facts — to which I’d ask you to stipulate (and to which you obstinately refused and in so doing dissembled) — I posited it as reasonable to infer that TG could’ve deferred inking a big deal and thereby cost the team its captain (another as1hole, btw!). And then there’s the sourced information confirming that that’s what went down. But no one on record saying so, as you *not unfairly* insist must be the case in order to credit a story.

Of course it's reasonable to infer such a thing. It's also reasonable to infer that Drury's eventual comments about New Yawk meant he had no intention of staying. And for me the arrival of this book tips the scales more in the direction of Tom's version of events. He has the BN story stuck in his craw 15 years later. What does that suggest? He's mad they got the story right?

Now I want a meatball sub for lunch.

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 7/12/2022 at 4:24 PM, Curt said:

Sounds like BS to me.  No way that a group of people sat in a room for 45 minutes waiting for someone to speak up.

Thats when you literally need the ‘ fart in the elevater ‘ to break the silence and lighten the mood. I’d do it. I’ve certainly done it in an elevator lol. 

Over the years I've learned that most* not all, but most people in the positions of OSP, are ruthless asshats as humans. People who become CEOs of big businesses, hospitals, etc, they do so by cutting throats on the way to the top. 

I read this book by a psychiatrist once, can't recall the name, but it essentially said that many physicians in the past went to prisons to identify sociopathic behavior, but they essentially found that they found much more of this behavior In company boardrooms than they did in prison. 

I think OSP is a genuinely Meh human being, but he wouldn't have made his empire if he was any other way, as with most fairly ruthless billionaires. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Over the years I've learned that most* not all, but most people in the positions of OSP, are ruthless asshats as humans. People who become CEOs of big businesses, hospitals, etc, they do so by cutting throats on the way to the top. 

I read this book by a psychiatrist once, can't recall the name, but it essentially said that many physicians in the past went to prisons to identify sociopathic behavior, but they essentially found that they found much more of this behavior In company boardrooms than they did in prison. 

I think OSP is a genuinely Meh human being, but he wouldn't have made his empire if he was any other way, as with most fairly ruthless billionaires. 

I’ve often thought, and said, that once you hit director level you have to have some sociopathic tendencies.  You have to not be aware of or feel empathy regarding your impact on the people below you in the organization.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Weave said:

I’ve often thought, and said, that once you hit director level you have to have some sociopathic tendencies.  You have to not be aware of or feel empathy regarding your impact on the people below you in the organization.  

My mental health aside, which is a topic that would fill 500 pages in this forum, I had to leave my job of 22 years because they kept asking me to ruin the lives of people that I considered friends or at least good acquaintances.  I couldn’t just keep stick it to my employees.  I would go to HR with my boss and they would dictate who I’m ***** over next.  The level of depravity for human kind was palpable. I couldn’t get their stink off of me. I hated every minute I worked there in that role.  They used me as an instrument of destruction and it wore me thin.  Never again. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.