Mapleleafs fans voted "Most Annoying" & "Most Delusional"

ddaryl

After every Leafs 1st round exit, I ceremoniously always come back to this beauty of an article from Sept 2017. I can't see any fanbase or media writing this stuff... but it has provided me and my anti-Leaf friends plenty of entertainment.

https://torontosun.com/2017/09/11/simmons-vaulted-by-big-3-this-maple-leafs-team-is-a-champion-in-waiting

Edit: I thought I'd post the opening few paragraphs of the article...

"You can see a Stanley Cup from here.

Maybe for the first time since the Stanley Cup season of 1967, you can see it.

You can envision it. You can believe in it. You can close your eyes and actually picture Gary Bettman calling Auston Matthews — assuming he will eventually be granted the captaincy — to come up and grab the Cup.

The Toronto Maple Leafs: Future Stanley Cup champion.

This isn’t a dream or a joke, it’s a path. It’s a destination. The seemingly impossible eventually becoming possible. For most of our lives, we haven’t known anything like this at all. You could hope, but it was never realistic. You could predict, but it wasn’t logical.

There hasn’t been a Maple Leafs team in 50 years that looked to be anywhere near the part of champion in September. Even that old 1967 team — and it was old — didn’t begin the season as any kind of favourite.

But as the Maple Leafs open training camp on Thursday, you can honestly say that for the first time since the 1960s, the one most of you never saw or lived through, you can look at this group, especially the kids, the coach and the management team, and you can see a finish line.

A finish line ending with a parade."

Edited by JoeSchmoe

On 7/5/2022 at 1:36 PM, PerreaultForever said:

I think fans of winning teams (unless it's your team too) always start to get annoying. Just talk to Pats fans in football if you don't believe me. They get a kind of holier than though attitude with an expectation to win so I can see this happening with Tampa fans. I think Pittsburgh fans had that a few years back. 

If you thought pats fans were bad.. go look at a Dolphins forum. They haven't won anything with a QB who hasn't appraoched average and a rookie head coach.. they literally think they're better than KC was last season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just musing: how much of the Leafs' fans' delusions are driven by wish-casting coupled with getting their tires pumped by a seemingly overwhelming majority of Canadian hockey media?

We are used to being rooted against by Toronto-based and New York-based hockey media.  Thus, any over-exhuberance will be punctured gleefully by the talking heads.  But that also keeps us grounded.  On the other hand, fans of the Maple Leafs have no such dust sullying their views through their rose-coloured glasses.  Indeed, they are likely to be told any legitimate self-analysis of their team's flaws are just unfounded pessimism while external critiques are based on envious fans in other markets or anti-Canadian bias.  It is hockey's version of the upstate-downstate divide.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Malazan said:

If you thought pats fans were bad.. go look at a Dolphins forum. They haven't won anything with a QB who hasn't appraoched average and a rookie head coach.. they literally think they're better than KC was last season.

Sorry I missed you joining.  Welcome!

I know a few realistic Dolphans.  They find tgat most other local fans are out to lunch.  You are not kidding.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Leaf Blower said:

BOSTONBOSTONBOSTONBOSTONBOSTONBOSTON

Not.Even.Close.

Everyone has their opinion, I get it.   I lived on Boston 2 times my life for quite a few years. I was never a fan of the teams there but of course went to some games and was exposed to their behavior and talk shows:

1. Pats fans. As bad as everyone thinks. I have posted in this thread before I have good friends that live near Boston and my office for work is there, and there are some really great people but they turn into world class A-holes if you bring up the Pats or football.

2.  Red sox fans. Almost as bad as Pats fans but not quite there.  Being at a few Redsox-Yankees games in Fenway over the years and being to one Sox-Yanks game in the Bronx, I can say as bad as Red Sox fans are, Yankee fans can be a lot worse (and I was/am one of them).  At both stadiums, the New Yorkers were the ruder, cruder, fight starting agitators vs the Red Sox fans in almost everything I saw.  Again, living in Boston for a while many of the people there are decent people who turn into idiots when in a sports setting. However it seems that there are just more New Yorkers (NYCity) who are just plain bad people/idiots and sports brings that out of them even more.

3.  Bruins.  Fans I don't think are as bad as everyone makes them out to be. Slightly more annoying than average but not that bad.  It can be the media/beat reporters that follow the team that are worse than the fans, and the TV/Radio broadcasters are Awful.  When Dale Arnold did games he was actually pretty great, but I think most people will agree that Jack Edwards is possibly the worst, most 'homer' play by play guy in the history of sports.

4. Celtics.  No problem with Celtics fans. They can be annoying as any other fanbase when they are good, but I don't think they go beyond it.

As for the Leafs, Their fanbase to me is the most annoying in Hockey for sure, and it rivals Pats fans in terms of all sports. (With Yankee fans with an '*'.  Yankee fans aren't that bad from around the country, it is the ones that just reside in NY city that are really bad).

Edited by mjd1001

3 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Everyone has their opinion, I get it.   I lived on Boston 2 times my life for quite a few years. I was never a fan of the teams there but of course went to some games and was exposed to their behavior and talk shows:

1. Pats fans. As bad as everyone thinks. I have posted in this thread before I have good friends that live near Boston and my office for work is there, and there are some really great people but they turn into world class A-holes if you bring up the Pats or football.

2.  Red sox fans. Almost as bad as Pats fans but not quite there.  Being at a few Redsox-Yankees games in Fenway over the years and being to one Sox-Yanks game in the Bronx, I can say as bad as Red Sox fans are, Yankee fans can be a lot worse (and I was/am one of them).  At both stadiums, the New Yorkers were the ruder, cruder, fight starting agitators vs the Red Sox fans in almost everything I saw.  Again, living in Boston for a while many of the people there are decent people who turn into idiots when in a sports setting. However it seems that there are just more New Yorkers (NYCity) who are just plain bad people/idiots and sports brings that out of them even more.

3.  Bruins.  Fans I don't think are as bad as everyone makes them out to be. Slightly more annoying than average but not that bad.  It can be the media/beat reporters that follow the team that are worse than the fans, and the TV/Radio broadcasters are Awful.  When Dale Arnold did games he was actually pretty great, but I think most people will agree that Jack Edwards is possibly the worst, most 'homer' play by play guy in the history of sports.

4. Celtics.  No problem with Celtics fans. They can be annoying as any other fanbase when they are good, but I don't think they go beyond it.

As for the Leafs, Their fanbase to me is the most annoying in Hockey for sure, and it rivals Pats fans in terms of all sports. (With Yankee fans with an '*'.  Yankee fans aren't that bad from around the country, it is the ones that just reside in NY city that are really bad).

😁🤣

https://www.google.com/amp/s/buffalonews.com/sports/bills/billboard-proclaiming-bills-fans-as-nfls-best-is-heading-back-to-foxborough/article_30aa70f2-15a0-11ec-a1f8-fbe453d980d6.amp.html

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.