Gimme Marty on Sunday

Tony P

i suspect a lot of what happens sometimes with these decisions comes down to what happens in practice on the off day. if nobody looks spectacularly good or bad, its millers game. we played him through rough stretches before. well take him to war for better or for worse.

we are still the better team. and miller is still the number one guy.

i suspect a lot of what happens sometimes with these decisions comes down to what happens in practice on the off day. if nobody looks spectacularly good or bad, its millers game. we played him through rough stretches before. well take him to war for better or for worse.

we are still the better team. and miller is still the number one guy.

Agreed Miller is our better goaltender. Putting Marty in there would be a short term solution. We need Miller on top of his game in the next round.

I didn't care for Miller's attitude in comments yesterday when reporters asked him about the shorthanded goal to Savage in Game 3. Paul Hamilton said he was "prickly" and that's a pretty good way of putting it. Miller said something like, "come on guys, you're gonna give up goals." He is a head case, but what goalie isn't? I haven't heard his comments tonight, but they are being reported by Brad Riter as something to be concerned about. Anyone hear what Miller said?

2 BAD GAMES.

I agree. There's no tomorrow in the playoffs. No time to adjust, no time to ride it out. Miller's GA have been very soft IMO, and I'd give Marty a shot on Sunday. He's a pro and has been an NHL proven goaltender for many years.

His start could spark the Sabres' rebound. Tonight's game sucked after the first 12 minutes if you're a Sabres fan. They came out strong and then relaxed. The team needs a strong performance in net to win and they're not getting it right now from Miller.

I saw it the past couple of years with my own eyes in Rochester... Miller is beginning to self-implode. I don't know what the eff it is, but when it comes playoff time, Ryan begins to fall apart. Through 4 games vs Philly, he hasn't had any game where he's stood out, or "stolen" us a game. I hate to just throw Marty into the war on Sunday, but I just don't have much faith at all in Miller at the moment. I do, though, expect Lindy to go back with Miller on Sunday. Is that the best decision? Who knows.

Our problems tonight weren't all about the goaltending. It could have been a whole different story if we convert a couple of those breakaways...

But Lets not freak out, the series is tied 2-2. Like Lindy said in the press conference, its a best of 3 now, and two of them are in our barn.

No freak-out here, just an one man's opinion about the goaltending and how I've seen it through 4 games. If this is the pattern and Miller's not ready to handle the pressure, turn it over to Marty who at least has a few more games under his belt. Lose Sunday and it's over, end of wonderful story...

Too much promise and talent in this year's line-up to hang it all on a rookie GT. Miller's been very good and sometimes great in the regular season but it just ain't happenin' so far in the playoffs.

Sunday's game IS the series. Go back to Philly down one and...C-ya Sabres.

Gotta start Marty...

Last time I checked Marty has 0 playoff games played. And also has a tendency to not come up big when the pressure is on.

Funny how quickly everyone here turns.

No "turns".

Miller is essentially a rookie in the NHL. Marty, last time I checked, has a couple hundred games played at this level and has contributed almost as much to the team's success this season as Miller has.

Are you saying that you don't think that there weren't one or perhaps two goals that should have been stopped by Miller tonight?

Last time I checked Marty has 0 playoff games played. And also has a tendency to not come up big when the pressure is on.

Funny how quickly everyone here turns.

I'm not turning, but I will state this: when the Sabres have nosedived, Biron has been the guy to pull the aircraft level. I don't think it would be a poor decision to start him Sunday afternoon. I also am not convinced that starting Miller would be catastrophic. But take a good look at who starts after the Sabs lose a couple in a row and suddenly, the Sabs start winning again.

I'm not turning, but I will state this: when the Sabres have nosedived, Biron has been the guy to pull the aircraft level. I don't think it would be a poor decision to start him Sunday afternoon. I also am not convinced that starting Miller would be catastrophic. But take a good look at who starts after the Sabs lose a couple in a row and suddenly, the Sabs start winning again.

I have to disagree with you there. Yes Marty did come up with a big start in Toronto, and had another strong start against Ottawa. But I also remember a week before against NJ when things weren't going great for the team. Marty didn't exactly level the aircraft that night. In fact he gave up a softie in the first minute and another one later in the game.

I will say it again, Miller at the top of his game is better than Marty at the top of his game. If we're going to be successful in the next round and beyond, we need Miller at the top of his game.

Besides, Biron has yet to play a single playoff game, and I don't think he plays his best when the pressure is on.

Yes, Miller gave up a soft goal in in each of the last two games. But besides that, has he "imploded"? Has he really played that bad? He was the reason we won the first game. He played a strong second game. The third game he let in ONE softy and 2 complete flukes. Tonight, ONE softy with a few legitimate goals. He hasn't been stellar, but I don't think we pull him for Biron.

Also, if the rest of the team plays for 60 minutes in all the games, we're not even having this discussion.

I say let Miller tough it out.

As promised, I didn't watch the 3rd. See my game day post to know why. I heard at the bar tonight that Miller was garbage when he needed to be big in the 3rd. The team is not executing the game plan. Period. And they have no one to bail them out between the pipes. I'm sorry guys and girls, but we do not have a big-time goalie. The Sabres were up 2-0 today. It should have been over.

Can we trade for Brodeur or Kiprusoff next year?

By the way, my vote is Biron for Sunday.

To me, Miller has let in two bad goals in the series. One meaningless one to Gagne in Game two with the score 5-0 and the other one to Umberger in last nights game.

I don't consider the Savage goal to be a bad one. A blistering slap shot from the top of the circle is not always the easiest save.

As promised, I didn't watch the 3rd. See my game day post to know why. I heard at the bar tonight that Miller was garbage when he needed to be big in the 3rd. The team is not executing the game plan. Period. And they have no one to bail them out between the pipes. I'm sorry guys and girls, but we do not have a big-time goalie. The Sabres were up 2-0 today. It should have been over.

Can we trade for Brodeur or Kiprusoff next year?

By the way, my vote is Biron for Sunday.

I suppose when Brodeur struggled this year he got a pass because he is Brodeur?

I think Miller is still the same goaltender he has been most of the season. I will say that our defense last night was absolutely awful. The first goal for Philly was an absolute breakdown, the second goal was a bounce of the puck, the 3rd goal was another breakdown on defense. The Umberger goal was a softie at a very bad time; the Sabres just tied it up and momentum was swinging our way. It was a very, very bad time for a softie goal.

With that being said, I think a goalie change helps this team refocus on their defense but I don't like killing Miller's confidence and therefore effecting his future with Buffalo.

Archived