Denis Gauthier

PTS

When you watch the replay again, look at Gauthier's eyes right before he spears JP. He deliberately gave JP a shot in the abdominal area and I won't be surprised if it was the side he had his surgery on.

F--k that player and f--k the NHL for allowing this to happen. He shouldn't even been playing.

The team and city of Philidelphia is a bunch of fu*king scum bags. I sure am glad that the NHL protects their skill players by suspending douchbags like Gauthier.

Just another black eye for the NHL, what Gauthier did to Vanek on monday was an attempt on his health, that kind of hit is designed to injure. The NHL let him play again tonight and he went out and tried to injure another player, this time succesfully. I just hope Dumont is not done for the rest of the season.

The team and city of Philidelphia is a bunch of fu*king scum bags. I sure am glad that the NHL protects their skill players by suspending douchbags like Gauthier.

Just another black eye for the NHL, what Gauthier did to Vanek on monday was an attempt on his health, that kind of hit is designed to injure. The NHL let him play again tonight and he went out and tried to injure another player, this time succesfully. I just hope Dumont is not done for the rest of the season.

Thats why bob clark got him... for that reason... just to injure people and weaken the other team... tonights game was a disgrace... we got out worked and just plain beat all over the place... you never win a hockey game when you show up to really play at the start of the third period.

1. Gauthier should have been suspended. He wasn't. Let's move on.

2. I don't think he's as quick or as clever as some others do; I don't think he purposefully hit Dumont in the abs.

3. Dumont returned.

Hey, I could keep complaining about the 2000 election, too. Let's move on. Sabs in 5.

When you watch the replay again, look at Gauthier's eyes right before he spears JP. He deliberately gave JP a shot in the abdominal area and I won't be surprised if it was the side he had his surgery on.

F--k that player and f--k the NHL for allowing this to happen. He shouldn't even been playing.

I am obviously very pissed off about what that scumbag did, but seriously shame on Buffalo for not going at this guy. Shame on Gaustad for not playing tough. He played that way in Rochester. I expect more out of him, and I expected him or Grier or somebody to flatted Gauthier and it didn't happen.

We couldn't go after him, the game was too close to do so. Plus, it's better to get him when he's not expecting it.

Funny thing is this.

WE played very average tonight.

We lost on a weak short handed goal, one that 2 of our guys played into our net and one from behind the net.

That combined with the PP going sour again, we were still right there.

We're gonna be fine.

PS I have never seen a player just get a diving penalty without the other guy going for the trip or hook. Unreal. That was weak, as was the hooking call on Lydman at the end of the first. What was that? Like an NBA foul where the guy is assumed to have been touched.

Gauthier is a disgrace. The NHLPA should do something if the NHL won't. Better to have one less retard out there to hurt guys than guys injured.

I love how Rob Ray said he didn't think it was deliberate. Look where the blade of the stick is pointing! I never played hockey, but I can't imagine how a defenseman killing a penalty could accidentally get his stick in that position. Rob said he was just feeling to see where Dumont was. I guess he figured if he could locate his spleen, that would help him locate Dumont.

And Exhibit A is that Gauthier speared Dumont where he had his surgery. J.P. just confirmed that. He probably shouldn't have. Just put a bulls eye there for Game 4.

Gauthier is a worthless pile of excrement. He has roughly the same amount of class as Darcy *ucker. Unfortunately for him and the Phlyers, he has roughly 10% the talent of Darci, which is why he has to cheap shot opponents.

He isn't long for this league, and I will take a lot of satisfaction from watching that piece of excrement have to shake the Sabres hands on Sunday. If he is even man enough to do that. It wouldn't surprise me if he pulls a Billy Smith.

I don't see how the league does anything again...though I think Lindy realized that the more he talks about an incident, the less likely it is for the league to do something about it. I think it was a good move for him to basically say "no comment".

That being said...I'm pissed and need to rant.

The sad thing is, the more the league allows #%^$#! like that to happen, the more hypocritical they get. I understand the refs can't call a penalty on something they don't see, I'm fine with that, but this is an instance where the league needs to step in.

As long as the NHL allows these sort of acts, as well as acts like the hit on Vanek and the Tucker-Hecht incident, it will remain a hypocritical league. If the NHL wants to be all about speed, offense and clean physical play, then you have to find a way to discourage teams like the Sabres from feeling the need to dress a useless goon like Peters, or the Flyers from dressing a guy like Eager.

Those types of players add nothing positive to the game, but teams will continue to feel the need to dress them as long as "thuggery" and goon tactics are incouraged by the league, by not handing out suspensions.

There is no one who can argue that Buffalo is a better team, or more entertaining team to watch with guys like Andrew Peters and Taylor Pyatt in the lineup. If the NHL is truly intent on growing the league, building a new fan base, and getting a TV deal that reaches more than 762 homes in America, they need to encourage teams to dress skilled, entertaining players.

I don't see how the league does anything again...though I think Lindy realized that the more he talks about an incident, the less likely it is for the league to do something about it. I think it was a good move for him to basically say "no comment".

That being said...I'm pissed and need to rant.

The sad thing is, the more the league allows #%^$#! like that to happen, the more hypocritical they get. I understand the refs can't call a penalty on something they don't see, I'm fine with that, but this is an instance where the league needs to step in.

As long as the NHL allows these sort of acts, as well as acts like the hit on Vanek and the Tucker-Hecht incident, it will remain a hypocritical league. If the NHL wants to be all about speed, offense and clean physical play, then you have to find a way to discourage teams like the Sabres from feeling the need to dress a useless goon like Peters, or the Flyers from dressing a guy like Eager.

Those types of players add nothing positive to the game, but teams will continue to feel the need to dress them as long as "thuggery" and goon tactics are incouraged by the league, by not handing out suspensions.

There is no one who can argue that Buffalo is a better team, or more entertaining team to watch with guys like Andrew Peters and Taylor Pyatt in the lineup. If the NHL is truly intent on growing the league, building a new fan base, and getting a TV deal that reaches more than 762 homes in America, they need to encourage teams to dress skilled, entertaining players.

i don't blame you guys for being pissed, but those sort of plays probably happen every game. the only reason we noticed this one is b/c a) JP went down hurt and b) because he is coming off the surgery. the end of the stick blade is not that sharp. i not excusing gauthier at all b/c he knew what he was doing it sticking him where he did - it is the exact reason why teams only disclose injuries as "upper" and "lower" body these days...

i don't blame you guys for being pissed, but those sort of plays probably happen every game. the only reason we noticed this one is b/c a) JP went down hurt and b) because he is coming off the surgery. the end of the stick blade is not that sharp. i not excusing gauthier at all b/c he knew what he was doing it sticking him where he did - it is the exact reason why teams only disclose injuries as "upper" and "lower" body these days...

I don't think the relative sharpness of the blade, nor JP's resulting injury, or even his injury history in that area of his body have anything to do with it. The problem is that spearing is dirty, and a player like Gauthier knows exactly what he is doing. (I don't know if he knew about JP's injury at the time, but its a safe bet he does now.)

I also don't think "these sort of plays happen every game" - if it did, I don't think Chara would have gone apesh!t when Cairns speared him late in the regular season (resulting in Chara breaking his hand on Cairns' face.) The NHL rulebook (I know, they usually don't follow the same rules in the playoffs) seems to indicate that spearing at another player without making contact is worth a double-minor, while contact should have gotten him at least a major & game misconduct. (http://www.nhl.com/rules/rule86.html)

My bottom line is I keep seeing people (not only Flyers fans & media, but other NHL fans as well as NHL officials as well) excusing Gauthier's actions - i.e., Vanek should have protected himself, not turned away from Gauthier when he ran at him; it wasn't really a spear, etc., -- and it boggles my mind. He is fast developing a rep as a dirty player, a tag that is hard to shake, and once you "earn" that reputation, everything you do is viewed differently - by fans, opponents and even by the league itself. This is an example for that - not many Sabres' players or fans believe it was accidental, even though he says it was.

EDIT: According to the Philly.com website, Gauthier told Dumont it was "accidental" and the headline claims that Dumont "forgave him." The article doesn't quote Dumont saying anything like that, just relaying that Gauthier said it was accidental, so I am wondering if anyone else has seen anything about him forgiving Gauthier. (http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/14439178.htm)

EDIT: According to the Philly.com website, Gauthier told Dumont it was "accidental" and the headline claims that Dumont "forgave him." The article doesn't quote Dumont saying anything like that, just relaying that Gauthier said it was accidental, so I am wondering if anyone else has seen anything about him forgiving Gauthier. (http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/14439178.htm)

At the end of the article, Dumont says "I don't think he did it on purpose," which is as close to absolution as you can get. JP and Razor are entitled to their opinion, and so am I: I think he knew exactly what he was doing. Maybe he didn't mean to carve him as badly as he did, but the spear was intentional, as was the location.

As much as I don't want to believe it, I don't think it was an intent to injure JP. I think if it was another player that did it, we wouldn't even be having this discussion, but because of who it was, everyone is ready to jump to the conclusion it was intentional. JP did just have surgery recently in that area, and its probebly still sensitive so any type of contact to it could cause serious pain. Atleast he seems to be ok and shouldn't miss any time

Maybe it was, Maybe it wasn't, there is only one person who knows if it truly was intentional.

At the end of the article, Dumont says "I don't think he did it on purpose," which is as close to absolution as you can get. JP and Razor are entitled to their opinion, and so am I: I think he knew exactly what he was doing. Maybe he didn't mean to carve him as badly as he did, but the spear was intentional, as was the location.

I agree completely - we are all entitled to our opinions on the subject, and I still think Gauthier knew what he was doing and fully intended to try and get away with it.

I also wonder if Dumont was saying he doesn't think Gauthier was deliberately trying to spear him in his old injury area, as opposed to believing the whole incident was an accident. He (and the team) just need to keep the attack in the back of their minds, and be ready if he pulls more of this crap later.

I don't think the relative sharpness of the blade, nor JP's resulting injury, or even his injury history in that area of his body have anything to do with it. The problem is that spearing is dirty, and a player like Gauthier knows exactly what he is doing. (I don't know if he knew about JP's injury at the time, but its a safe bet he does now.)

I also don't think "these sort of plays happen every game" - if it did, I don't think Chara would have gone apesh!t when Cairns speared him late in the regular season (resulting in Chara breaking his hand on Cairns' face.) The NHL rulebook (I know, they usually don't follow the same rules in the playoffs) seems to indicate that spearing at another player without making contact is worth a double-minor, while contact should have gotten him at least a major & game misconduct. (http://www.nhl.com/rules/rule86.html)

My bottom line is I keep seeing people (not only Flyers fans & media, but other NHL fans as well as NHL officials as well) excusing Gauthier's actions - i.e., Vanek should have protected himself, not turned away from Gauthier when he ran at him; it wasn't really a spear, etc., -- and it boggles my mind. He is fast developing a rep as a dirty player, a tag that is hard to shake, and once you "earn" that reputation, everything you do is viewed differently - by fans, opponents and even by the league itself. This is an example for that - not many Sabres' players or fans believe it was accidental, even though he says it was.

Don't get me wrong, I did not intend to defend a spear by a player. It is a nasty play, but I still believe guys get sticks in the gut more often than we want to believe, especially in front of the net.

As for Gauthier, I think a lot of people are pissed about his antics. The guys on TSN did a whole segment on checking from behind the other night and most notably Bob McKenzie (not the one from Strange Brew) called for his suspension. I also think that Melrose Place was looking for something on that play too.

Don't get me wrong, I did not intend to defend a spear by a player. It is a nasty play, but I still believe guys get sticks in the gut more often than we want to believe, especially in front of the net.

As for Gauthier, I think a lot of people are pissed about his antics. The guys on TSN did a whole segment on checking from behind the other night and most notably Bob McKenzie (not the one from Strange Brew) called for his suspension. I also think that Melrose Place was looking for something on that play too.

Sorry, mis-interpreted your 1st post a little. I don't doubt that guys get a stick in the gut pretty frequently, through hooks and "tugs" and things like that, but I think the number of actual spearing attacks is pretty low, given the high penalties involved. That said, I still believe firmly that Gauthier knew exactly what he was doing, and catching JP in his sore spot was probably an added bonus for him.

BAsed on the replays that I saw, I'm going to have to side with Rayzer on this one. I don't think the spear was intentional. Only Gauthier knows that for sure.

I've played defense for a good portion of my hockey "career"...some at decent competition levels (mostly beer league with some tournaments now.) When you're setting up like that and the guy is trying to sneak in on your backside, you want to let him know you're aware of what he's up to. Most guys give a little tap to the shin guard/lower pant or the stick. Not saying I'm right, but it looked JP had gotten farther down toward the net than Gauthier expected and he (gauthier) got caught flat footed, threw the stick out there and happened to tag JP in a bad spot. Still should have been a penalty, but we're discussing intent.

If you want to talk about a extremely cheap play, watch Forsberg's charge in the 1st. Leaves his feet to go headhunting while his D-man has the guy tied up. That has intent to injure written all over it.

I don't think Gauthier was trying to hurt him, he was just saying hello and warning him not to move in front of the net. He just happened to catch him in the right spot.

I don't think what he did was that unusual.

I agree. It didn't look like he was trying to hurt him as far I could tell. Dumont was coming forward and Gauthier was skating backward. He looked like he was trying to keep JP out of tip in position as best as I could tell.

Archived