Comparing Dahlin and Power, we're not there yet

LGR4GM

Vogl wrote this and I don't like it, it is faulty in so many ways. The issue I have is not saying Power will be the top defender, that is absolutely a real possibility. My issue is the bolded comparison that Owen Power is basically playing his D+1 year 5 months older than Dahlin and is playing that in the NCAA. Dahlin did not get a D+1 year even in the SHL so how could you make this comparison? Even if Dahlin had played in the SHL that additional year that isn't playing against his peers, that would be him versus men. It just is a bad way to compare the two and a bad way to talk about it. Now if you want to compare Dahlin to Power based on WJC play that makes sense to me but we haven't gotten there yet. You can't compare players at different ages of development in completely different leagues like this, you can't imagine Dahlin dominating his peers because he stopped playing against his peers when he was 16. 

Power will be the Sabres’ top defenseman — in a hurry. While I didn’t see Dahlin play live in Sweden as a prospect, I can’t imagine he dominated his peers in every phase of the game like Power does.

With that said, the WJC will really give us a feel for where Power is compared to his peers and that we could use to compare to Dahlin's WJC and one of the rare times he played with his peers since his draft year. Even then, Power got his D+1 year to play in the WJC, Dahlin did not so Power is basically a year of development older and should be dominating his peers. 

Anyways excited for Power to join the Sabres and watch him and Dahlin compete for top spot for year to come. 

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Vogl wrote this and I don't like it, it is faulty in so many ways. The issue I have is not saying Power will be the top defender, that is absolutely a real possibility. My issue is the bolded comparison that Owen Power is basically playing his D+1 year 5 months older than Dahlin and is playing that in the NCAA. Dahlin did not get a D+1 year even in the SHL so how could you make this comparison? Even if Dahlin had played in the SHL that additional year that isn't playing against his peers, that would be him versus men. It just is a bad way to compare the two and a bad way to talk about it. Now if you want to compare Dahlin to Power based on WJC play that makes sense to me but we haven't gotten there yet. You can't compare players at different ages of development in completely different leagues like this, you can't imagine Dahlin dominating his peers because he stopped playing against his peers when he was 16. 

With that said, the WJC will really give us a feel for where Power is compared to his peers and that we could use to compare to Dahlin's WJC and one of the rare times he played with his peers since his draft year. Even then, Power got his D+1 year to play in the WJC, Dahlin did not so Power is basically a year of development older and should be dominating his peers. 

Anyways excited for Power to join the Sabres and watch him and Dahlin compete for top spot for year to come. 

Yeah.  Power may become their #1 but it won't be "in a hurry."

Also, for Dahlin not dominating his peers, not sure how that's said when as an 18 yo he was the WJC's Top Defenseman.  And his play really stood out in all 3 phases (Though he didn't end up w/ an abundance of points in the tourney).

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Yeah.  Power may become their #1 but it won't be "in a hurry."

Also, for Dahlin not dominating his peers, not sure how that's said when as an 18 yo he was the WJC's Top Defenseman.  And his play really stood out in all 3 phases (Though he didn't end up w/ an abundance of points in the tourney).

And he was still actually 17 that WJC, too 

• Thanks (+1) 1

Owen Power's 2022 WJC team

WJC20_Canada21.thumb.png.9b1eea0eb2c6703bf46bb344acac6147.png

10 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Looks really good tbh. But it's no team Canada 

Elite Prospects is the best, I agree

Nope, would argue the 2021 Canada roster is far deeper with more talent. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1

• 2 months later...

Elliott Friedman had an interview with Kevyn Adams yesterday and Adams mentioned He likes the Dahlin-Jokiharju Pairing

No Way Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

He also mentioned they need to find the right partner to Power along. Marek speculated a Veteran RHD would be brought in 

Excited Pumped Up GIF by reactionseditor

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Certainly a strategy that has not failed the Sabres in the last decade-plus at all.

Offer him 2 year term at like $9-10 million. Sabres need to spend just to get to the floor. Get a guy who is still elite who could mentor our young studs. Overpay on the short term. Sabres have overpaid non elite players on long term deals. That is where the issue arises.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.