How bad will we be?

dudacek

What choice best describes your expectations for the Sabres this year?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. What choice best describes your expectations for the Sabres this year?

• Forget the haters, this team will challenge for the playoffs
    • It's not going to be as bad as people seem to think, they will compete and keep other teams honest and break 70 points
    • They will be up and down a lot, occasionally surprise, get blown out a few times and finish in the bottom 3-5
    • They will be as bad as the two tank teams and have a real shot of finishing with the franchise's the all-time worst record

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

Tradition is very important in hockey so some changes don’t make sense. 

I'm for keeping things new and fresh, I don't want to see the same things over and over as far is the 'in arena' presentation.

Just give the the Sabre Dance song played whenever the Sabres enter the ice, and a better goal song (I'd rather have No song at all, just the horn, instead of the current song) and that is all the tradition I need.  And if you want to start the games right on time, keeping any pre-game fluff to a minimum I am for that too.

The good news is the Athletic’s statistical model projects the Buffalo Sabres should get 70 points this year.

The bad news is that’s dead last in the league, a half-point behind the Coyotes.

Their chance of making the playoffs? 0.3 %

https://theathletic.com/2815543/2021/09/23/buffalo-sabres-2021-22-season-preview/

It’s the lowest projection Luszcysczyn has calculated since he’s been doing this.

Edited by dudacek

Pretty sure we will be battling the Yotes for dead last much as we did in the last tank. Anaheim and Detroit might also be in the running though. 

Wouldn't be at all surprised if we are dead last but then play UPL for most of the games after the deadline and go on a late season win streak that means nothing (again) and diminish our lottery chances so they can talk about the future again. 

10 hours ago, dudacek said:

The good news is the Athletic’s statistical model projects the Buffalo Sabres should get 70 points this year.

The bad news is that’s dead last in the league, a half-point behind the Coyotes.

Their chance of making the playoffs? 0.3 %

https://theathletic.com/2815543/2021/09/23/buffalo-sabres-2021-22-season-preview/

It’s the lowest projection Luszcysczyn has calculated since he’s been doing this.

Which is why your options 2 & 3 are essentially just wording the same outcome differently.

Im prepared to answer this question now. 

The Sabres will be a bottom 3 NHL team. Seattle, Arizona, Buffalo. UPL even if he is decent will not get enough consistent goal support from the young team to win consistently. Because of Granato I see an extra 5-6 wins. Buffalo will end the season with 67 points and the main issue will be scoring as the defense carries the team most nights. 

27 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Im prepared to answer this question now. 

The Sabres will be a bottom 3 NHL team. Seattle, Arizona, Buffalo. UPL even if he is decent will not get enough consistent goal support from the young team to win consistently. Because of Granato I see an extra 5-6 wins. Buffalo will end the season with 67 points and the main issue will be scoring as the defense carries the team most nights. 

I see them going the Nashville route and playing  D and just going in a  Trap like the old days 

How close are we to the tank team of 2014-15?

here is the opening night roster from that season:   Age in brackets 

Enroth 

Benoit (31) Gorges (30), Mezeros (29) Myers (24), Weber (27)
Risto (20)

Ennis(25)  Foligno (23) Stafford (29)
Gionta (36) Girgensons (21) Hodgson (24)
Stewart (27) Moulson (31)Reinhart (19)
McCormick (31) Mitchell (30) Deslauriers (23)

Top Prospects (Kris Baker) 

1  - REINHART, Sam
2 - RISTOLAINEN, Rasmus
3 - ZADOROV, Nikita
4 - GRIGORENKO, Mikhail 
5 - COMPHER, JT
6 - ARMIA, Joel
7 - PYSYK, Mark
8 - MCCABE, Jake
9 - LEMIEUX, Brendan
10 - FASCHING, Hudson
11 - ULLMARK, Linus
12 - BAPTISTE, Nick

NOW (my guess and open for debate)

Anderson (40)

Dahlin (21), Jokiharja (21) Hagg (26), Miller (29) Butcher (27) Pysyk (30)

Asplund (24) Mitts (23) Tage (24)
skinner (29) Cozens (20) Olofsson (26)
Bjork (25) Routsalainen (24) Hinostroza (27)
Girgensons (28) Eakin (30) Okposo (33)

injured Jack Eichel (24)

top prospects (hockey news)

Owen Power
Jack Quinn
Peterka
UPL
Rosen
Ryan Johnson
Prokhor Poltapov
Mattiaa Samuelsson 
Alexander Kisakov
Portillo

—————-

Assuming they get quality prospects in the Eichel deal, I think they are in much better shape now then they were in 2014  

thoughts? 

• 3 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.