EURO 2020 (actually 2021)

Sabres Fan in NS

After a year delay Turkey and Italy kick of EURO 2020 tomorrow.

I have not followed enough to really see who will come out on top.

The group stage looks set up for the biggest sides to make it through, as usual.

https://www.google.com/search?gs_ssp=eJzj4tTP1TcwzDE0KDNg9OJILS3KV0guLQAAPikGKQ&q=euro+cup&oq=Euro+&aqs=chrome.3.69i57j0i131i433l2j46i131i433j0i433j0i131i433l2j46i175i199.8687j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#sie=lg;/m/0p3p7v6;2;/m/01l10v;st;fp;1;;

Holder Portugal is in tough and probably won't make it out of the group stage.

For some reason, I like the Italians to take this one.

I'm mostly a newbie to this sport although I have watched many matches across several different formats and leagues I am not schooled on the strength of international teams besides what I see every couple years in the World Cup and Olympics. 

That being said I'm interested in trying to follow the Euro this year.

Thanks for starting this, I think it will help me keep up a little easier. 

Group F looks pretty strong to me. 

• Like (+1) 1

Great start for Italy, but Turkey was expected to be the group A turkey.

1 hour ago, Sabel79 said:

As long as England goes out in humiliating fashion, as is their wont, I'm fine with anybody winning it, and have no clue who will.  

Some are thinking they are favourites to win this Euro.

No possible way that I see that happening.

4 hours ago, Norcal said:

I'm mostly a newbie to this sport although I have watched many matches across several different formats and leagues I am not schooled on the strength of international teams besides what I see every couple years in the World Cup and Olympics. 

That being said I'm interested in trying to follow the Euro this year.

Thanks for starting this, I think it will help me keep up a little easier. 

Group F looks pretty strong to me. 

Group F is the 'Group of Death'.  I think most everyone would agree.

France (World Cup holder) and Germany are powerhouse Euro sides.  Hungary is very good and Portugal is holder and has CR7.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Group F is the 'Group of Death'.  I think most everyone would agree.

France (World Cup holder) and Germany are powerhouse Euro sides.  Hungary is very good and Portugal is holder and has CR7.

Group of Death. Yeah, I can see why then. 

Wales and Switzerland drew 1 -1 in the early match.  A good result for Wales, I think.  Many think they will make it through Group A with Italy.

Up soon will be Denmark and Finland.  I think the Danes could win this match, but expect another draw.

Later this afternoon we have Belgium and those Russians.  I expect nothing much from Russia this tournament.  I think they are down a player to COVID for this match.  I expect a big win for Belgium.  Shout out to @Huckleberry ... *I'm your huckleberry*

Looking forward ... tomorrow we should see a good ol' fashioned beat down on England courtesy of Croatia.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
I will never type very goodly ...

47 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Wales and Switzerland drew 1 -1 in the early match.  A good result for Wales, I think.  Many think they will make it through Group A with Italy.

Up soon will be Denmark and Finland.  I think the Danes could win this match, but expect another draw.

Later this afternoon we have Belgium and those Russians.  I expect nothing much from Russia this tournament.  I think they are down a player to COVID for this match.  I expect a big win for Belgium.  Shout out to @Huckleberry ... *I'm your huckleberry*

Looking forward ... tomorrow we should see a good ol' fashioned beat down on England courtesy of Croatia.

We got a good team, but I'm expecting Italy and France to be the favourites.

Hoping France fails in a group with Germany and Portugal , need Hungary to pull out an upset :)

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

We got a good team, but I'm expecting Italy and France to be the favourites.

Hoping France fails in a group with Germany and Portugal , need Hungary to pull out an upset 🙂

The group of death will see the death of Portugal inspite of CR7.  Hungary has a chance, but I expect France and Germany to make it through.

Scary stuff happened in the Denmark - Finalnd match.  

Danish player colapsed on the pitch.  Taken to hospital and is recovering.

Both sides approached officials and the match has continued.

Score is still nil - nil, but Denmark has had the edge in play.

EDIT TO UPDATE:

Finland has scored in the 59th minute.  Now in the 65th minute.

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Scary stuff happened in the Denmark - Finalnd match.  

Danish player colapsed on the pitch.  Taken to hospital and is recovering.

Both sides approached officials and the match has continued.

Score is still nil - nil, but Denmark has had the edge in play.

EDIT TO UPDATE:

Finland has scored in the 59th minute.  Now in the 65th minute.

I really didn't need to see the medical staff doing chest compressions on him right there on the pitch while his teammates desperately tried to hide him from the cameras.  FFS, it was ghoulish.  

Game should not have been restarted, didn't watch, but saw highlights.  Nobody wanted to or should have been out there.  

5 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

I really didn't need to see the medical staff doing chest compressions on him right there on the pitch while his teammates desperately tried to hide him from the cameras.  FFS, it was ghoulish.  

Game should not have been restarted, didn't watch, but saw highlights.  Nobody wanted to or should have been out there.  

I tend to agree.

I have not watched what happened, just the match highlights.  I don't want to see it.  A man was dying, why show it?

I understand why the players wanted to restart once they heard he was going to be okay, but I don't think the powers that be should have started up the match again.  I think it should have been in the books as a scoreless draw.  Fair.

58 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

If he would have died they would not have, but he was alert again and ambulance didn't even leave the stadium with sirens on.

Was very scary but my danish buddy on TG send me pic of him with eyes open on stretcher and hand on his face in disbelieve of what happened.

Maybe it was not right for them to air that, but at that point you see him drop and everyone wants to know how it goes.  His teammates were class acts, certainly the captain that pulled his tongue out of his mouth and consoled his gf on the sidelines and told the team to shield him.

5 hours ago, steveoath said:

My boss emailed all staff in our school to let us know we can down tools and watch the Scotland game tomorrow. That was nice of him. 

It’s always more palatable to the administration if they make themselves believe they signed off on what was obviously going to happen anyway no matter what they did.  

Anyway, hope Scotland do well.   it’s been forever (WC ‘98 iirc) since you guys have been to a tournament.  

• Like (+1) 2

Huge upset in the first match today.

England 1

Croatia 0

Croatia was finalist in the WC in 2018 and has (had?) high hopes for a first major tournament victory in this Euro.

IMO, Euro is much more difficult to qualify for and to win than the WC, as the field is much smaller, so only very good sides qualify for the final tournament.

Still not a believer in England.  I have no fear @Sabel79 that their collapse will be spectacular, but it seems likely that it will be in the 16 stage.

to make my typing more goodly, but not by muchly

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Still not a believer in England.  I have no fear @Sabel79 that their collapse will be spectacular, but it seems likely that it will be in the 16 stage.

England are the Toronto Maple Leafs of International Football.  

Forever dining out on the glories of the mid-to-late 1960’s.  Insufferable, deluded, highly punchable fans convinced that every year/tournament will be theirs, even though it never will be.  Let’s not even get started about the insufferable, deluded, highly punchable press.  

They freakin’ booed Raheem Sterling before the game for having the temerity to be a black guy who (redacted because of reasons) but then cheered wildly when he scored as if none of that had happened.  

So I suppose I can’t wait to see how they Munson this one, but I’m the meantime, congratulations to Raheem Sterling, Ian Wright, and absolutely nobody else.  

• Like (+1) 1

Netherlands-Ukraine has been perhaps the most entertaining game so far.  

From 2-0 Netherlands to 2-2 and then 3-2 Netherlands again in the 86th minute.  Atrocious defending = fun.  At least for those of us who don't have a dog in the fight.  

• Like (+1) 1