Jack Eichel prefers Surgery on neck injury; done for the season.

LGR4GM

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

The injury thing I'm not sure about - no idea how likely it is that there wouldn't be a full recovery. By the time the teams would be hypothetically bartering over a deal, I'd imagine there'd be intel available to those in the profession about the specifics of how his healing process is going. Assuming he seems ok, I think they would, and should, be interested in a deal.

To your point, they have a good base so they aren't going to feel they need to make the deal, but I think any team always has to listen when the player you'd potentially be receiving is better than any other player on their current roster. I guess I'd put him about even with Panarin actually, but still, winger. 

They have space for him, because they can move anyone and everyone (save Panarin) off to make room. 

Oh I agree they'd listen and they might make an offer, I just don't think they'd gut their current team to get him. If it was all picks and prospects and not players on their roster it'd be more likely but would we do that? It would be a hard sell here for sure. 

Hard to say. I don't think he will be moved anyway. Especially with the injury. I suspect we start next year with Eichel as 1C and if we are winning it's all good and if we are losing again then at that point this will all heat up again and maybe he will ask for an out either quietly or in the press. 

9 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Oh I agree they'd listen and they might make an offer, I just don't think they'd gut their current team to get him. If it was all picks and prospects and not players on their roster it'd be more likely but would we do that? It would be a hard sell here for sure. 

Hard to say. I don't think he will be moved anyway. Especially with the injury. I suspect we start next year with Eichel as 1C and if we are winning it's all good and if we are losing again then at that point this will all heat up again and maybe he will ask for an out either quietly or in the press. 

I think they'd give up roster players. Lafreniere would start it. A healthy Jack is a much more valuable asset. I know people value the mystery box but it's just not likely Lafreniere becomes the player Jack Eichel is. 

- - - 

The second part of your post is something that's already the stuff of my nightmares. We were probably going to keep Eichel anyways so I doubt the injury changes our offseason in that regard, but if we ARE bad next season...Jack is gonna ask out once his NMC kicks in. So Adams has *A* kick at the can, here. What do we do if we are out of the playoffs a couple months in again? Can you really afford to keep Jack in that scenario if you think a trade request is forthcoming? A future deal that will most assuredly be handicapped by the NMC to the significant detriment of the return. See: Hall.

Trade him during the year? Those big trades don't often happen in season, so we may take a hit on the deal if we do it mid-season, too. I suppose there's the 2022 draft (but you'd be on a tight schedule)

Adams has to make this shot count, I'll tell you that much. 

Edited by Thorny

32 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I think they'd give up roster players. Lafreniere would start it. A healthy Jack is a much more valuable asset. I know people value the mystery box but it's just not likely Lafreniere becomes the player Jack Eichel is. 

- - - 

The second part of your post is something that's already the stuff of my nightmares. We were probably going to keep Eichel anyways so I doubt the injury changes our offseason in that regard, but if we ARE bad next season...Jack is gonna ask out once his NMC kicks in. So Adams has *A* kick at the can, here. What do we do if we are out of the playoffs a couple months in again? Can you really afford to keep Jack in that scenario if you think a trade request is forthcoming? A future deal that will most assuredly be handicapped by the NMC to the significant detriment of the return. See: Hall.

Trade him during the year? Those big trades don't often happen in season, so we may take a hit on the deal if we do it mid-season, too. I suppose there's the 2022 draft (but you'd be on a tight schedule)

If Eichel does ask out after the NMC kicks in, he'll still have IIRC 4 years left on the deal.  Should the Sabres decide to accommodate his request, he should be given 2 options: go where we get the best deal or stay and stfu.  

Though this seems to be a huge concern here on this board, really expect it is significantly overblown at present.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

If Eichel does ask out after the NMC kicks in, he'll still have IIRC 4 years left on the deal.  Should the Sabres decide to accommodate his request, he should be given 2 options: go where we get the best deal or stay and stfu.  

Though this seems to be a huge concern here on this board, really expect it is significantly overblown at present.

Jack Nicholson Reaction GIF

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

Dude sucked. Then was put with panarin and produced. Then produced while Panarin was out. 

Try to understand, Panarin's the magic man. He's got magic hands. 

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Can't say I share this reading of it at all, unfortunately. 

• Haha (+1) 1

The Sabres are a long way from being able to survive for long on ice without getting the best from the man who is far and away their best player, regardless of how nice these last couple weeks have seemed. And how could they not seem truly inspirational in perception, I mean, think of what came before! It's a contrast. 

If they tell Jack to "stfu" and he wants out, I'm not sure the logistics of that work out in our favor. 

It's a pretty big concern to me. We'll see what happens in season since we failed to get the goalie upgr.....whoops, sorry I mean what happens with Jack and the team, if we are bad next year. 

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Also the sentiment looks nice here but...what is the behavior we have observed with regards to Adams and his respect and approach to the NMC, thus far? I understand Hall wasn't under contract for further than this year, but..initial reaction is KA was pretty subservient to his wishes without putting up much of a stink.

Edited by Thorny

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Also the sentiment looks nice here but...what is the behavior we have observed with regards to Adams and his respect and approach to the NMC, thus far?

2 COMPLETELY different situations.

1 guy was going to remain a Sabre for at MOST 20 more games when the decision to move him out was finalized.   And that guy was a passenger when playing w/ Eichel (close to PPG, nearly all of which were assists) & essentially useless afterwards.  And, from reports, it seems they ended up w/ the 2nd best deal available even with him wanting to be a B.  And, it was the Sabres decision to move on from reports.  (Don't recall hearing reports that Hall approached the Sabres.) THAT IMHO makes a huge difference in how much, if any, say the player on a NMC should have.

The other guy will still have another 320 or so games remaining and will also not want to be miserable for 4 more seasons if he truly does want out.  If the Sabres ask him to leave, absolutely he should have a say in the destination.  If he asks out, unless the offers are truly comparable, he should have no say.  The team is already doing him a favor by entertaining trades at that point.

Not sure how much more I'll be replying as AFAIK he has never asked for a trade and these 'what if the sky falls' discussions aren't fun to have IMHO.  (Probably shouldn't have even responded in the 1st place.)

• Like (+1) 1

• LGR4GM changed the title to Jack Eichel needs rehab on neck injury; done for the season.
2 hours ago, Taro T said:

Again, this is just not how business is conducted, regardless of whether you like it or not.

If Eichel asks for a trade after his NMC kicks in, he will be traded, and it will impact the return.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Curt said:

Again, this is just not how business is conducted, regardless of whether you like it or not.

If Eichel asks for a trade after his NMC kicks in, he will be traded, and it will impact the return.

And again, contrary to the hue and cry we read hear that Eichel wants out (and have been reading literally for months), there is no ACTUAL evidence of this.  Just the continual 'well, it can and will get worse' woe is us which IMHO gets old quickly.

IF Eichel asks for a trade, he MAY get traded and his preference of location MIGHT influence the return.  Not every star player that asks for a trade gets it.  Circumstances matter.  And, as stated upthread, these 'Jack wants to leave, we just know it' threads are soooo unfun to participate in. 

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

And again, contrary to the hue and cry we read hear that Eichel wants out (and have been reading literally for months), there is no ACTUAL evidence of this.  Just the continual 'well, it can and will get worse' woe is us which IMHO gets old quickly.

IF Eichel asks for a trade, he MAY get traded and his preference of location MIGHT influence the return.  Not every star player that asks for a trade gets it.  Circumstances matter.  And, as stated upthread, these 'Jack wants to leave, we just know it' threads are soooo unfun to participate in. 

It’s not woe-is-me at all, for my part, and the implication from my posts isn’t that, either. 

I’m just not afraid to say it’s high time they step up and field a winning roster. Adams need not shy away from it. Do your job, and Eichel stays. I’m also predicting that, in case that’s fallen on deaf ears 

20 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It’s not woe-is-me at all, for my part, and the implication from my posts isn’t that, either. 

I’m just not afraid to say it’s high time they step up and field a winning roster. Adams need not shy away from it. Do your job, and Eichel stays. I’m also predicting that, in case that’s fallen on deaf ears 

And in my prior response to you originally had a LENGTHY disclaimer stating something to that effect, but dropped it when changed some of the other portion to the response.  Really did not intend to imply that you (or Curt, for that matter) are a "woe is me" poster.   But, really am tired of the way how this meme (for lack of better term) that Eichel wants out, or will in just over 12 months, just flat out hangs over this board.

(And realize how annoying complaining about that is, which is why my expectation (preference?) is, once again, that this will be my last post on the matter today.  At some point that expectation will bear out.)

• Like (+1) 1

PS - have been adamant as well that heading into last season & again this one, that if the team solves 2C and fixes the goaltending they are a playoff team & 1-2 additional upgrades (regardless of reasonnthe upgrade occurs) & they actually can be a dark horse.  And do not expect Adams to be unable to do SOMETHING that appears to fix the GT this off-season.  Which, if all that happens, the Eichel wants out meme FINALLY dies.

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

I have never said he wants to leave, so I’ll assume that was directed at someone else.

I think I disagree with the bolded.  Can you name any “star” players who we know asked for a trade, but in the end were never traded?

Also, I think that a belief that a NMC would not affect the trade return is naive, and in the end would almost certainly prove to be false.

18 minutes ago, Taro T said:

PS - have been adamant as well that heading into last season & again this one, that if the team solves 2C and fixes the goaltending they are a playoff team & 1-2 additional upgrades (regardless of reasonnthe upgrade occurs) & they actually can be a dark horse.  And do not expect Adams to be unable to do SOMETHING that appears to fix the GT this off-season.  Which, if all that happens, the Eichel wants out meme FINALLY dies.

Probably wouldn’t have happened even then, this past season, considering Ralph and other factors, but absolutely right - you’ve been consistent in your plan  

• Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Curt said:

I have never said he wants to leave, so I’ll assume that was directed at someone else.

I think I disagree with the bolded.  Can you name any “star” players who we know asked for a trade, but in the end were never traded?

Also, I think that a belief that a NMC would not affect the trade return is naive, and in the end would almost certainly prove to be false.

Gil Perreault

10 hours ago, Thorny said:

- - - 

I totally agree. It's an odd situation. I think you'd have to know Jack much better than we fans do to answer this properly but as we are currently playing much better with him not around, do we risk a return to what was? Will Jack feed off this energy for lack of a better word and make us even better or is the strength of his status and his personality lead us back down if we face adversity? 

One obviously wants to think he'd simply make us better, but it is a risk. Maybe, again since the team seems much better, you want to assure that continues and the time is right to get a haul of assets for him. maybe we are a better team with less star power on it? iDK. 

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I totally agree. It's an odd situation. I think you'd have to know Jack much better than we fans do to answer this properly but as we are currently playing much better with him not around, do we risk a return to what was? Will Jack feed off this energy for lack of a better word and make us even better or is the strength of his status and his personality lead us back down if we face adversity? 

One obviously wants to think he'd simply make us better, but it is a risk. Maybe, again since the team seems much better, you want to assure that continues and the time is right to get a haul of assets for him. maybe we are a better team with less star power on it? iDK. 

Was really hoping we'd get to see him in the lineup before seasons's end 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.