Jump to content

2019-2020 Lineup


GASabresIUFAN
 Share

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Which it is almost. Reinhart, Johansson, Eichel, Skinner is top 4. That leaves 2 spots for roughly 10 guys? 

That’s not really what I’m trying to say. That’s still 10 non-top-6 guys being counted on to produce two top-6 players, and us hoping merely completion moulds the victors into that quality when they weren’t before. 

I’m talking having more top 6 quality players than spots to fill, and therefore some of those players necessarily playing in the bottom 6. 

What we have is a competition among viable bottom-6 candidates for bottom 6 positions where the winners play top 6. 

The fact that we have 2 “open spots” in the top 6 is the problem in itself. It’s when the top 6 is full, that we’ll start to get spillage into the lower lines. And when those lines will start to become difference makers. Which was the original point I was trying to make, about when I’ll care about the bottom 6. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Trade Risto, Sheary, Asplund and a lottery protected 1st to the Jets for Laine and a 2nd.

Sign Laine to a $5 million 1-year prove-it deal.

Trade Scandella to the Habs for a 3rd.

Sign Gardiner to a $10 million two-year deal.

 

Open the season with:

Skinner Eichel Olofsson 

Johansson Reinhart Laine

Vesey Mittelstadt Rodrigues

Girgensons Larsson Okposo

Wilson (Thompson)

Dahlin Montour

Gardiner Bogosian (Jokiharju)

McCabe Miller

Pilut (Nelson)

  • Haha (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

^ The key is the prove it deal. I’d sign up for it because of that. I’d need to see a FAR more well rounded game from Laine next season to be convinced he’s a player I’d want in my top 6 longer term. 

I think it’s reasonably likely we’d be a better team next year with: 

Skinner - Eichel - Mantha 

Johansson - Rodrigues - Reinhart 

or 

Johansson - Eichel - Mantha 

Skinner - Rodrigues - Reinhart 

I know the Mantha thing is probably a baseless rumour but I’ve been thinking of that former top line and I think it could be something. 

Edited by Thorny
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Would you trade that package for Reinhart? 

No.  Reinhart is a better player and better teammate. I don’t really want Laine. We don’t need more selfish one dimensional players.  If we didn’t have Skinner, I think I might be interested, but not now after making the commitment to Skinner. 

I’d list our top forward needs as a temporary 2C and a young (ish) (27 and under) fast two way RW.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

No.  Reinhart is a better player and better teammate. I don’t really want Laine. We don’t need more selfish one dimensional players.  If we didn’t have Skinner, I think I might be interested, but not now after making the commitment to Skinner. 

I’d list our top forward needs as a temporary 2C and a young fast two way RW.

Thinks about Brock Boeser... cries inside. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, darksabre said:

How's that work if Bogo doesn't have a reason to be on LTIR?

He is recovering from his second hip surgery, the same ailment which has restricted him to 83 games played in the past two seasons . The team’s medical staff could decide it is in his best interest to rehab the hip for entire year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

He is recovering from his second hip surgery, the same ailment which has restricted him to 83 games played in the past two seasons . The team’s medical staff could decide it is in his best interest to rehab the hip for entire year. 

I would think Bogo himself would dispute that if it wasn't true, no? The team doctors can't just fabricate a lengthy rehab stint.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I would think Bogo himself would dispute that if it wasn't true, no? The team doctors can't just fabricate a lengthy rehab stint.

Of course he could, however Botterill could also remind him that this is a results based business and in the four full seasons he has been with the Sabres he has yet to surpass 65 games played in anyone of them. He has played in 62% of those games all while collecting just north of 20 Million. 

Botterill could explain that he needs everyone to buy in and be available, the latter Zach has not been able to do with any regular consistency. 

In terms of the medical staff they can be creative as well. See Lupul and Hunwick.

Edit  It’s a moot point now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Of course he could, however Botterill could also remind him that this is a results based business and in the four full seasons he has been with the Sabres he has yet to surpass 65 games played in anyone of them. He has played in 62% of those games all while collecting just north of 20 Million. 

Botterill could explain that he needs everyone to buy in and be available, the latter Zach has not been able to do with any regular consistency. 

In terms of the medical staff they can be creative as well. See Lupul and Hunwick.

Edit  It’s a moot point now. 

Why is it a moot point? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 1:29 PM, Brawndo said:

Of course he could, however Botterill could also remind him that this is a results based business and in the four full seasons he has been with the Sabres he has yet to surpass 65 games played in anyone of them. He has played in 62% of those games all while collecting just north of 20 Million. 

Botterill could explain that he needs everyone to buy in and be available, the latter Zach has not been able to do with any regular consistency. 

In terms of the medical staff they can be creative as well. See Lupul and Hunwick.

Edit  It’s a moot point now. 

Why would Bogosian take one for the team like that and completely destroy any chance he has at getting a good deal in free agency? It's not happening. He's already labeled as injury prone. There's zero chance he just decides to sit out on the last year of his contract unless our dart thrower/GM does something really stupid like sign him to a big money extension before hand.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Drunkard said:

Why would Bogosian take one for the team like that and completely destroy any chance he has at getting a good deal in free agency? It's not happening. He's already labeled as injury prone. There's zero chance he just decides to sit out on the last year of his contract unless our dart thrower/GM does something really stupid like sign him to a big money extension before hand.

south park beat a dead horse GIF

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Drunkard said:

That's funny coming from the guy still crying over Brock Boesner, in this very thread no less. Especially given that the guy you're mad at for passing on him already lost his job. Something something glass houses.

I don't randomly say Brock Boeser when ever I mention our lineup. 

You however almost CONSTANTLY put in the "dart thrower" comment in a huge chunk of your posts. 

I stopped looking once I hit mid June. We get it. You don't like the GM. You don't have to say "Dart Thrower" in every breath in which you mention him. 

Quote

Drunkard:

There's zero chance he just decides to sit out on the last year of his contract unless our dart thrower/GM does something really stupid like sign him to a big money extension before hand.

 I also fear Botterill trading Ristolainen for a handful of darts that don't pan out to much in the end. ..

If he stays, he definitely won't be on the 3rd pair, no matter how many JAGs our dart throwing GM brings in. 

 If not, at least one of Botterill's darts should be capable of holding down a spot on the 4th line in 2020-2021. If not, we have bigger problems.

Throw enough darts and some of them will eventually pan out. 

 I'm pretty sure he described it himself as throwing enough darts to hit some bulls eyes but I can't find the quote and I'm limited in my ability to search because I'm at work and half the links I click on are blocked. 

I get it, I just don't want Ristolainen traded, especially by our Dart Thrower in chief. GM's thinking Ristolainen could actually be good doesn't mean Botterill will get anything good for him.

Yes, let's trade him for more darts! If we can get 4 or 5 middling pieces for him I'm fairly confident that one of those pieces might turn into a half way decent player 3 years after Botterill is fired.

Speculation: Botterill is bad at player evaluation so he has to rely on volume in order to try to find good players. Rumor: Botterill will trade our good players because he needs more darts to throw because the darts he's already traded for are duds.

that trade was the first look at his dart thrower/volume shooter approach and it was not good for the following reasons. 1) If he knew he either didn't...

Mr. MBA should be smart enough to realize that acquiring as many darts as he can in hopes of hitting an occasional bull's-eye here isn't a sound strategy when trading prime assets.

We have the wrong GM for that. Mr. Dart Thrower prefers to trade quality players for quantity so he has more darts to throw.

 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Haha (+1) 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...