Thompson assigned to Rochester

Brawndo

1 minute ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Right. I don't expect Thompson (or anyone else) to be a mature NHL player after 100 games. But after 100 games, he should have shown something to really grab onto and instill hope. He hasn't. 

The only thing I see occasionally is he will make a quick move and then take a great shot. The rest of his game is bad. His defensive game is almost non existent and he doesn't use that big body of his for anything. He needs a full year in Rochester to learn to play adult hockey. 

1 minute ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Right. I don't expect Thompson (or anyone else) to be a mature NHL player after 100 games. But after 100 games, he should have shown something to really grab onto and instill hope. He hasn't. 

To me it is his physical skill.

But this is fair and I think will likely prove to be true.

bottom is age

left is just a metric of your scoring, based upon scoring, the league that you're in, the relationship to the scoring of the best player on the team, how good the team is, the size of the player (I'm not sure forwards get scored for this anymore) , actual age (important at 15 or 16, not factored at 20 or 22).

1000 is a borderline NHL player

5 minutes ago, utsvävande said:

bottom is age

left is just a metric of your scoring, based upon scoring, the league that you're in, the relationship to the scoring of the best player on the team, how good the team is, the size of the player (I'm not sure forwards get scored for this anymore) , actual age (important at 15 or 16, not factored at 20 or 22).

1000 is a borderline NHL player

So Thompson's probability of becoming an actual NHL player have diminished, and Olofsson's have risen. Is that correct?

I'm a little weary of this then. Because, if I'm reading this right, it's saying Thompson had a much higher likelihood of becoming a mainstay NHL'er before the season started than Olofsson did. I mean, that makes sense in that Olofsson had never played in NA before and Thompson had previously played/was playing in the NHL, but really anyone that watched/followed them could see Thompson was a lost cause and Olofsson maybe had a shot

Edited by WildCard

5 minutes ago, utsvävande said:

No, Thompson became a borderline NHL player at 19, Olofsson became a borderline NHL player at 22. Either may become a valid NHL, but from my perspective, I don't trade Thompson for Olofsson.

Right now or when? At the beginning of this season I 100% would trade Thompson for Olofsson

• Like (+1) 2

I have no idea how you can chart/compare two completely different prospects with completely different skills and attributes. They need to develop, but they need to develop different things. Only way Thompson makes it in the nhl is if he gets bigger, uses his size, and develops a little aggressiveness or even meanness to use that size. Right now he's just awkward. Olofsson has the speed and skill, he needs to work on his defensive game and maybe some strength so he can endure future closer checking and physicality. 

I see no desire in Tage to be a power forward, so odds are Olofsson's future is brighter.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

I have no idea how you can chart/compare two completely different prospects with completely different skills and attributes. They need to develop, but they need to develop different things. Only way Thompson makes it in the nhl is if he gets bigger, uses his size, and develops a little aggressiveness or even meanness to use that size. Right now he's just awkward. Olofsson has the speed and skill, he needs to work on his defensive game and maybe some strength so he can endure future closer checking and physicality. 

I see no desire in Tage to be a power forward, so odds are Olofsson's future is brighter.

Yeah, a lot of people feel that way

6 hours ago, utsvävande said:

No, Thompson became a borderline NHL player at 19, Olofsson became a borderline NHL player at 22. Either may become a valid NHL, but from my perspective, I don't trade Thompson for Olofsson.

Avatar bet? I bet Olofsson has more points in the NHL next season than Thompson. 

I can see how you could read my joke about sabrespace as an acceptance. It's not fair terms, as you want to compare a 23 year old with a 21 year old. I'm saying Tage is a better prospect because he's younger, not that he will score more than Olofsson next year. You'll have to be more fair on terms.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, utsvävande said:

I can see how you could read my joke about sabrespace as an acceptance. It's not fair terms, as you want to compare a 23 year old with a 21 year old. I'm saying Tage is a better prospect because he's younger, not that he will score more than Olofsson next year. You'll have to be more fair on terms.

I really just don't think age has anything to do with why Thompson is useless. Flawed? Sure. But he's completely inept at everything that's required of an NHL hockey player, let alone someone who is supposed to be able to play in the top-6 eventually. Can he get better? Sure. But better for him could just be a 4th liner. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.