Thompson assigned to Rochester

Brawndo

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Another talented guy forced into the lineup before he was ready.  

Speaking of Grigorenko.  Maybe it’s time to bring him back.  He’s a pt a game guy in the KHL and is having a really good playoffs.  Only 24.  Maybe just needed time to grow up?

Well, he was slotted to be the 2C, wasn't he?  ?

4 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Grigorenko wasn't that long ago.

The comp you are looking for is Max Afinogenov.

He reminds me in most ways of Tage, including the recent spinorama move in front of the net.

Max had one of those moves of his own, only he scored on his.

Both guys are very similar; way above average stick and puck skills; zero hockey IQ; terrible players.

42 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

Both guys are very similar; way above average stick and puck skills; zero hockey IQ; terrible players.

With the last line I agree to a point but i think you could make that comparison to other young players as well. For me where that comparison ends is in their measurables. Tage is 5 inches taller & some 15 - 20 pounds heavier than Max & with that I don't see him like Max at all.

Max on the ice was like a dart & flew around the ice like a bat out of hell, knifing his way into scoring positions. He was also twice as productive as Tage was when he got here because he was a sniper & knew how to use his good shot. Maybe Max never lived up to what we thought his potential could be, but i don't see how putting up multiple 20 goal seasons can be labelled as terrible.

This year I'd kill to have someone else on this team that can put up 20 goals.

Tage as a player isn't like Max imo. He doesn't have the shiftiness or speed that Max had, nor Max's ability to score so early in his career. Physically they are 2 very different players. I'd try to make a comparison to someone of Tages size, to get an idea of who Tage could be in the future. Someone the size of Getzlaf or Blake Wheeler. Tage's game is pretty raw right now, but with some proper seasoning perhaps he can be a player who uses his size & raw skills to his advantage. But if Tage were Max level right now, putting up 16 goals & 35 points at this point in the season, i think we'd be quite happy with that production. Wouldn't you?

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, MillerVaive said:

Maybe Max never lived up to what we thought his potential could be, but i don't see how putting up multiple 20 goal seasons can be labelled as terrible.

We were talking about him a couple weeks ago.... I think he led the team in scoring two years or something like that.  Not sure how you can call him terrible, at least at his peak.

Perhaps I am dating myself, but I would compare Tage more to former Sabre Adam Creighton.  A talented, tall-lanky first round draft pick forward.  Never really developed in Buffalo, but I think he landed in Chicago and had a decent career with the Blackhawks.

Max was smaller, more slender and extremely fast and quick.  He used to skate circles around the offensive zone and carry the puck for long periods of time, eluding defenders who couldn't catch him.  An electrifying skater and stickhandler.  He was a good player and had some productive years.  Unfortunately, he didn't have the ability to get to the net and finish, or he could have been a great one.  While I cannot think of a close comparison, perhaps Tyler Ennis, a little bit.  Perhaps someone can think of better comparison.  Tim Connolly?

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Tage had 2 tonight! 

He tipped one and had an empty netter with 7 seconds left. He also had a few turnovers and took a delay of game to put us down two players, resulting in a goal. I’ve never seen someone clear the puck from the zone on a PK and put it over the glass at the other end before....

Edited by Ogre
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ogre said:

He tipped one and had an empty netter with 7 seconds left. He also had a few turnovers and took a delay of game to put us down two players, resulting in a goal. I’ve never seen someone clear the puck from the zone on a PK and put it over the glass at the other end before....

well it's a start lol 

1 hour ago, Ogre said:

That's either the best or worst thing I've ever read 

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/28/2019 at 11:50 AM, Kruppstahl said:

He reminds me in most ways of Tage, including the recent spinorama move in front of the net.

Max had one of those moves of his own, only he scored on his.

Not even close. Max may have been a limited player in many ways but he could put the puck in the net, which not many on this roster can. Much better shot than Tage, faster and more skilled. Just a tad lazy at times. Bet he would have been a killer in the shoot out. 

Wouldn't win us the cup, but a few Afinogenovs on this roster, with all their limitations, might have made us competitive or put us in the playoffs. 

4 hours ago, Ogre said:

Girgenson did it either early this year or late last year.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/30/2019 at 12:06 AM, GASabresIUFAN said:

Tage is listed as a center.  Did we make a mistake letting him play wing all season?  Should we have tried him at center?

I was going to stay away for the rest of the season but stupid me, I decided to lurk.  And THIS is made me post.

This is something I've referred to several times.  I think the kid is a natural center and putting him on wing is regressing him.  You see him carrying the puck into the zone and dishing off nicely now and then, he seems to know how to be a playmaker, but in his wing position they want him to be a trigger man.  I sure would love to see him get a shot at C and let him duke it out with Mitts between 2C and 3C.

Maybe that's why he's looked lost at the NHL level- he's just a natural center and the conversion to wing has been tough for him.

Edited by Doohickie

8 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I sure would love to see him get a shot at C and let him duke it out with Mitts between 2C and 3C.

Maybe that's why he's looked lost at the NHL level- he's just a natural center and the conversion to wing has been tough for him.

Lurk on! Possibly, but then we'd have needed one of them to be in ROC playing center in all phases this season, in the role Asplund got. ... I don't want them battling for 2C/3C next season on the Sabres. I want a 2C who's ready now and one of them can be 3C and the other either getting more seasoning or playing wing in a sheltered offensive role.

Rant at no one in particular: We can only break in so many players per season, as we've learned this season (Ullmark, Dahlin, Mitts, Thompson) is one too many, particularly if the folks we intend them to replace (Hutton, Ristolainen, Berglund, Okposo) aren't keeping them down by playing well. It's the old line from Torry Holt. Will you be a mentor for these young receivers? Yeah, I'll mentor them all the way to the bench. Our old guys didn't help out the team by keeping the rookies from having to do too much.

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

I was going to stay away for the rest of the season but stupid me, I decided to lurk.  And THIS is made me post.

This is something I've referred to several times.  I think the kid is a natural center and putting him on wing is regressing him.  You see him carrying the puck into the zone and dishing off nicely now and then, he seems to know how to be a playmaker, but in his wing position they want him to be a trigger man.  I sure would love to see him get a shot at C and let him duke it out with Mitts between 2C and 3C.

Just when you think you're out, this board sucks you back in again.  Welcome back for the final 4!

• Haha (+1) 1

On 3/28/2019 at 12:23 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

Another talented guy forced into the lineup before he was ready.  

Speaking of Grigorenko.  Maybe it’s time to bring him back.  He’s a pt a game guy in the KHL and is having a really good playoffs.  Only 24.  Maybe just needed time to grow up?

Seriously, time to grow up? How did I miss this yesterday?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.