Eddie Shack

bob_sauve28

So during last night's game they said something about Eddie Shack, a name I have heard but never knew anything about. But they showed this picture with the blurb about him: 

Related image

That picture hangs in the North Buffalo Ice Arena and I've always been impressed with it. It's a crazy picture, and the Seals player just looks so old! They have a great photo display at the arena there and this is just one of them. Anyway, so I looked him up and his wiki page has some interesting stuff on this former Sabre: 

* He left his job as a butcher to try out with the Guelph Biltmores hockey club, knowing he could return to the trade if hockey did not pan out as a career.

In November of the 1960–61 season, Shack was traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs, where he played seven seasons on the left wing as a colourful, third-line agitator who was popular with the fans despite a lack of scoring prowess. Canadian sports writer Stephen Cole likened Shack's playing to that of 'a big puppy let loose in a wide field'.

* During the 1965–66 season Shack broke out, scoring 26 goals on a line with Ron Ellis and Bob Pulford. His popularity was such that a novelty song called Clear the Track, Here Comes Shack, written in his honour and performed by Douglas Rankine with The Secrets,[6] reached #1 on the Canadian pop charts and charted for nearly three months.

After retirement, Shack was a popular advertising spokesman in Canada, most notably for The Pop Shoppesoft drink brand,[9] and a Schick razor promotion for which he shaved his mustache. He also promoted a small chain of doughnut stores.

* Shack also revealed he had been illiterate most of his life and subsequently became an advocate for literacy programs in his native Ontario.

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, Jacque Richard said:

From the buffalo news photos that I kept in my book.

Could use these guys now. 

image.jpg

Clockwise from left: Floyd Smith, Shoeny, Hajt, Hawk, Fogolin, King Kong, ?????.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Tondas said:

Clockwise from left: Floyd Smith, Shoeny, Hajt, Hawk, Fogolin, King Kong, ?????.

That’s the guy I’m missing too. 

With that group it should be Guevremont, but that doesn’t look like what I remember.

Kenny Breitenbach? Paul McIntosh?

4 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Other guy is Jocelyn Guervernmont(sic)

Is it? Must be the lack of moustache throwing me off.

Edited by dudacek

2 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Other guy is Jocelyn Guervernmont(sic)

Yup.

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

That’s the guy I’m missing too. 

With that group it should be Guevremont, but that doesn’t look like what I remember.

kenny Breitenbach?, Paul McIntosh?

Tom is correct it is Jocelyn.

4 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Yup.

Tom is correct it is Jocelyn.

Doesn't look like Josh.

image.png

27 minutes ago, Jacque Richard said:

27 minutes ago, Jacque Richard said:

image.jpg

I think that's Josh on the right.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.