TM’s Legacy as GM?

GASabresIUFAN

Interesting to revisit the Kane trade today given what has happened since.

Sabres: Bogosian, O’Regan, a first (and the cap space for Sheary/Hunwick)

Jets: Myers, Lemieux, Roslovic (lost Armia due to lack of cap space)

Looks pretty equal at the moment.

And not that important.

Edited by dudacek

IMHO it's just way too early to judge GMTM's drafts.  We have no idea whether any of Pu, Olofsson, Guhle, Fitzgerald, Borgen, etc. will develop into good players.

As for the rest:  it's hard to deny that his term was a crashing failure.  The team was a dysfunctional train wreck.  He's the one who put it together, and he's responsible for the results.

We're still in last place.

People forget that under GMTM and Dan Bylsma the Buffalo Sabres improved from 50 points to 80 points in one season.  

After the 81 point season, they dropped to 78 points because Eichel missed half the year.     So they all get fired, and then they drop to 62 points under JBOT and Housley in what was supposed to be year they showed progress and sniffed a playoff spot after improving the roster and playing the modern NHL game vs Bylsma's archaic (albeit successful) system.  

People forget that under GMTM and Dan Bylsma the Buffalo Sabres improved from 50 points to 80 points in one season.  

After the new point season, they dropped to 78 points because Eichel missed half the year.     So they all get fired, and then they drop to 62 points under JBOT and Housley in what was supposed to be year they showed progress and sniffed a playoff spot after improving the roster and playing the modern NHL game vs Bylsma's archaic (albeit successful) system.

I agree. Not sure I'm sold on our head coach and I do think too much hate was aimed at Bylsma at times. If this team looks in November like it did last November the pitchforks will come out aimed at Housley.

After the 81 point season, they dropped to 78 points because Eichel missed half the year.     So they all get fired, and then they drop to 62 points under JBOT and Housley in what was supposed to be year they showed progress and sniffed a playoff spot after improving the roster and playing the modern NHL game vs Bylsma's archaic (albeit successful) system.  

Truth. GMTM gets hammered around here and he certainly made some bad moves - IMHO mostly overpaying for certain guys that he wanted - but he also made some bold trades. And, after engineering the tank to get Eichel, the team did improve afterward as you note. Then he gets fired (I assume it was mostly a personality conflict with the Pegulas) and we hire Botterill who immediately takes the team back to dead-last in the NHL. Last season was atrocious. I figured Botterill would make some moves last summer to bolster the team, but he didn't do much of anything other than sign AHL guys. And, we just jettisoned two of the few guys on the roster who could actually put the puck in the net. Lottery tickets and hope. Another rebuild. Trust the process.   

:angry: 

Gotta like that it would seem that EXGMTM stood up and said if Disco Dan goes so do I. Disco Dan got a lot out of what he had and seemed to have a handle at least to some degree on how to use players to their strengths (babcock is an expert at that). I still do not see where GMJBotto has done anything that makes me go "wow that's a great move"...the OReilly trade is not so good and the return is very questionable for a truely good hockey player. I am not sold on the 1st from wither San Jose or St. Louis when both will be in the mid-20's which will amount to another "iffy" prospect (and we already have lots of those).   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.