What to expect next season, the 2018 Sabres

LGR4GM

Vegas does. Suzuki

San Jose does. Norris

Arizona does. Keller

Three teams with good young centers in the pipeline.

Suzuki would be my favorite on that list.

Keller is going to be a star and the only player on our roster that would get Arizona to move him is Jack Eichel

I'd give RoR for Keller in a heartbeat. I'd assume they want more than just RoR though

Edited by Jokertecken

The problem with this is you can only retain on 3 salaries at any given time so retaining on O'Reilly would only allow us to retain on 2 salaries for the next 5 seasons. Not exactly good for flexibility with future deals. If a team is willing to offer enough in trade to satisfy GMJB but is short on the cap space to make the deal we'd be better off taking a dump from that team with a couple years of term on their deal rather than hamstringing ourselves for the next 5 seasons.

LeBrun asked around the league about ROR and the demand is high particularly by the teams that miss out on John Tavares. LeBrun correctly believes that he is 2C which would put his correct salary at 6-6.5M AAV. Looking at the existing Sabres Roster, after the 2018-19 Season there are only two contracts left that the Sabres would think of moving, while possibly retaining salary, that is Okposo and Bogosian. Bogosian has two years remaining and Okposo five. With any other players the Sabres acquire in the next five seasons the hope is they are going to be a playoff team, so they would not be interested in trades where they retain salary. Even if they do they would still have the option as you mentioned to retain two. They also have not retained any salary in trades the past two seasons.

Trading for a similar contract would defeat the purpose of moving ROR from a salary cap point of view. Imagine as Marty Biron mentioned on the radio this AM, a deal with the Senators where Bobby Ryan and his 4 year 7.25 AAV came back to the Sabres.

Botterill will have the same leverage that Joel Sakic did last season with Duchene. He has no pressure to trade him until he gets the deal he wants. Jeremy White’s Source did tell him the Sabres were taking calls on ROR at the deadline, but no one would include the Picks Botterill wanted(multiple firsts it sounded like).

Reminder to the “ I’m sick of trading established players for futures crowd” please do not shoot the messenger.

I also wonder if St Louis who traded a similar cap hit with Stasny and wonder if there is a fit there? They have NHL Ready Prospects in Forwards Robert Thomas, Klim Kostin and Jordan Kyrou. Defenseman in Jordan Schmaltz and Vince Dunn. Or the Holy Grail of Colton Parayko.

I dunno, I don't think we're valuing O'Reilly high enough. He's a proven veteran. If any team is trading for him, it's because they want a vet over a kid. I think it works.

I agree. But I also don't think it makes any sense for Arizona, with where they're at, to make the move.

Barring a miracle run, the Blues do fit the profile of a team that might want a shake-up.

And they could certainly use O’Reilly.

The Blues would make a really interesting trade partner.

Most likely and Botterill is in a good position as he doesn’t need to make any moves, the offer would have blow his socks off.

Really? I think he definitely needs to make some moves. We are in dead last, I think even our good players are being slightly overrated.

The Sabres need a shake-up.

Really? I think he definitely needs to make some moves. We are in dead last, I think even our good players are being slightly overrated.

The Sabres need a shake-up.

Yes really.

Botterill is under no pressure to trade ROR unless he gets back a package to his satisfaction, the same way Sakic waited with Duchene.

And even if the board feels we are slightly overrating ROR, Pierre LeBrun said GMs around the league he spoke to said there is a large market for him particularly amongst the teams that miss out on Tavares.

Edited by Brawndo

I wouldn't underestimate O'Reilly's value. It wasn't too long ago we were bouncing from Roy to Hodgson to Luke Adam

Centres of his calibre don't come available too often.

Duchene might be the only one since O'Reilly and he garnered a sweet return, as did O'Reilly.

Brassard is full step down and he got a first, a third and a legit player. Before that he got Zibanejad and a 2nd

Stepan got a top 10 pick

Henrique got Vatanen

An ancient Eric Staal, Lars freaking Eller and Andrew Shaw got two 2nds each.

Lesser players, but with  upside like Drouin and Johansen netted Sergachev and Jones

I wouldn't underestimate O'Reilly's value. It wasn't too long ago we were bouncing from Roy to Hodgson to Luke Adam

Duchene might be the only one since O'Reilly and he garnered a sweet return, as did O'Reilly.

Brassard is full step down and he got a first, a third and a legit player. Before that he got Zibanejad and a 2nd

Stepan got a top 10 pick

Henrique got Vatanen

An ancient Eric Staal, Lars freaking Eller and Andrew ###### Shaw got two 2nds each.

Lesser players, but with  upside like Drouin and Johansen netted Sergachev and Jones

If we trade ROR, in all honestly, I'd like Parayko coming back at minimum. Or someone like that. 

Dougie Hamilton has been very, very good in Calgary, and they've been keen on ROR in the past. 

Most likely and Botterill is in a good position as he doesn’t need to make any moves, the offer would have blow his socks off.

Yes really.

Botterill is under no pressure to trade ROR unless he gets back a package to his satisfaction, the same way Sakic waited with Duchene.

And even if the board feels we are slightly overrating ROR, Pierre LeBrun said GMs around the league he spoke to said there is a large market for him particularly amongst the teams that miss out on Tavares.

I’m not referring to O’Reilly, who definitely is not getting overrated. I’m referring to the bolded. I can’t see an offseason where Botterill stands pat as a successful one.

I’m not referring to O’Reilly, who definitely is not getting overrated. I’m referring to the bolded. I can’t see an offseason where Botterill stands pat as a successful one.

My post you originally quoted was in regards to O’Reilly and the any moves was in regard to him, not the whole team.

Edited by Brawndo

But, how often is a solid center traded twice?

When he was traded to us it felt like we landed the next version of briere. After a few years, I wonder if he's part of the larger problem.

At this point, we almost have to move on. By the time we are ready to contend, 90 will be on the downturn.

Stepan got a top 10 pick

Henrique got Vatanen

An ancient Eric Staal, Lars freaking Eller and Andrew ###### Shaw got two 2nds each.

Lesser players, but with upside like Drouin and Johansen netted Sergachev and Jones

But, how often is a solid center traded twice?

When he was traded to us it felt like we landed the next version of briere. After a few years, I wonder if he's part of the larger problem.

At this point, we almost have to move on. By the time we are ready to contend, 90 will be on the downturn.

This is a great point. It’s not really about trading what ROR is now, it’s more about trading what he’ll be in a few years, if we are being realistic. Botterill has to weigh and balance that. Tough job.

My bad.

No worries.

This is a great point. It’s not really about trading what ROR is now, it’s more about trading what he’ll be in a few years, if we are being realistic. Botterill has to weigh and balance that. Tough job.

This is true, and it might be better to trade him a year too early then a year too late.

If we trade ROR, in all honestly, I'd like Parayko coming back at minimum. Or someone like that.

Dougie Hamilton has been very, very good in Calgary, and they've been keen on ROR in the past.

I would happily take either of those players for O'Reilly. But barring a top-pair D, I don't see any move that makes much sense.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.