Way too Early Look at Seattle 2020 Expansion Draft

GASabresIUFAN

Seattle took in 25000 season ticket deposits in 30 minutes. It took LV months to get to 10000.

According to Seravelli on TSN the expansion fee is $650 million and the NHL is going to use the same rules for the expansion draft. This should be interesting for a Sabres team that will hopefully be a contender by the end of 2019-2020.

The only current Sabres signed beyond 2020 are Jack, ROR, KO, & Risto. Reinhart will also likely be signed this off-season to a contract beyond 2020.

The best news for the Sabres is that guys like Asplund, Pu, Davidsson, Mittelstadt and whomever we draft this year will be exempt from the expansion draft. However guys like Guhle and Nylander will likely have to be protected.

So what might our protected list look like in 2020. (for the 6/7F and 3rd D I’m looking at the best of our current depth players, but that is almost certain to change by 2020.)

1) Jack

2) Sam

3) Nylander

4) ROR (He’ll still be on the right side of 30)

5) Olofsson (he won’t be on a ELC, but he’ll have less then 3 years of NA experience so I’m not sure if he’ll have to be protected or not).

6) ?? Baptiste or Wilson? KO?

7) ?? Erod or Girgensons?

D1) Risto

D2) Guhle

D3) McCabe? Antipin? Nelson?

G) Ullmark (or whomever our starting goalie is)

Exposed players: KO (if Jbot wants to try to get rid of his contract), Johansson, Nelson

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Way too early.  We can't possibly have a read on how valuable these kids might be by then.

The beauty of it is that most of our kids will be exempt because they will be on their ELCs with 3 years or less of pro experience.

The purpose of the exercise is to see who you feel strongly about in our organization that you think will be an impact player that you’ll want to protect. For example, I like what Wilson brings and believe his role here grow over the next few years. I also still have a soft spot for Girgensons and think he is young enough to still become an impact player. I also think Jbot will expose KO to try go get rid of his contract.

Also not sure kids need to be protected... can expose guys like Bogo, Pommer, Girgenson and Larson not to mention Beaulieu...

All those guys’ contracts expire before 2020. I can almost guarantee that none will be around by then with the exception of Girgensons.

People who will definitely be here that I protect: Mittelstadt

People who will probably be here that I probably protect: ROR, Risto, Reinhart

The rest: Who tf knows

You spelled Mittelstadt wrong, so I corrected it for you. I will pray for your soul at my shrine to Casey. He is a just and loving God though, so you should be spared his wrath.

Eichel will be diagnosed with chronic ankle aids by 2020 so we'll probably be begging Seattle to take him off our hands. Nothing like giving an $80 million contract to a player who had yet to crack 60 points in the NHL.

What's sad is we are only 2 years from the expansion draft and after looking at our current organization we can't even think of 10 players we might want to protect.  That is how bad our depth is.

We don't have depth.  We don't even have a top 6.

So when is Seattle going to enter the league.... 2020-21?  

Yeah.  They have to do some crazy retro-fit to their planned building.  Apparently to renovate KeyArena they need to keep the roof as is and therefore they are digging down instead of building up.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.