Briere: Still Can't Believe Vanek Chosen Over 4 1sts, Drury, and I

WildCard

IMO, the season ticket holders would've been fine knowing we had 4 number 1 picks, despite where the Oilers finished in the standings. Turns out we lost Hall and Nugent-Hopkins.

I don't know man. I ubered a Sabres Fan (he noticed my jacket) and his takes were not very insightful. Basically he said, The Sabres suck, why are they trading Kane, Patrick Kane is awesome, they should trade for him. Based on other conversations I've had with non Sabrespacers, this is fairly typical among the fan base.

They don't know most of the players, they don't value draft picks or understand anything about the draft, and they want Kane/Ovechkin or some fighter they think will help "toughness". It makes me appreciate this board.

I don't know man. I ubered a Sabres Fan (he noticed my jacket) and his takes were not very insightful. Basically he said, The Sabres suck, why are they trading Kane, Patrick Kane is awesome, they should trade for him. Based on other conversations I've had with non Sabrespacers, this is fairly typical among the fan base.

They don't know most of the players, they don't value draft picks or understand anything about the draft, and they want Kane/Ovechkin or some fighter they think will help "toughness". It makes me appreciate this board.

Dude, people are dumb.

I'm no exception.

Scary how accurate this is

I don't hate on those people (can't believe I just said that). Only so many of us can waste our lives away devoting time, brain power and emotion to such a frivolous cause. Wish I had the gumption to do so.

I dunno. I can't imagine being emotionally invested in something and also having extremely basic knowledge/opinions on that thing.

It's super cool how even the ###### ###### players are discussing this a dozen years later. We get it. They ###### up.

Buuuuuutttt does Edmonton do the offer sheet under those circumstances? They probably could have offered less and still had the Sabres cap strapped with 48 & 23 on the payroll.

Exactly.  Edmonton did this knowing the Sabres had to match because Drury and Briere were gone.  Different circumstances, and Edmonton does not come in with $7M.

Exactly.  Edmonton did this knowing the Sabres had to match because Drury and Briere were gone.  Different circumstances, and Edmonton does not come in with $7M.

And at that price they had no desire to land him. It was strictly a chance to screw w/ Larry Quinn. Probably wouldn't have gone over $6/yr if they thought they might end up w/ him.

Had Drury & Briere both been signed, if Vanek did get to FA, Edmonton's offer might even have been low enough that it was only going to get the Sabres a 1, 2, & 3.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.