Around the NHL 2017

spndnchz

Source says the Flames called Carolina yesterday to ask permission to speak with Bill Peters. Hurricanes had no issue with it. And Peters today opted out of his Hurricanes deal anyway...

I'd be miserable with that deal. I want nothing to do with Bennett. Some sort of established player needs to be coming back if RoR is moved IMO

You know looking at their team... Tkachuk from a depth standpoint would make some sense. 

I think Calgary actually has potential at least - a good defensive group, a good goalie, and a top 10 scorer with some decent middle six depth that underperformed this year, versus ECHL goaltending, no real stars on offense, and good defense.

Any trade of ROR to Calgary starts with them offering Tkachuk. I would ask for Valimaki as well. 

Bill Peters resigns as coach of the Carolina Hurricanes.

I would say Dougie Hamilton or gtfo Calgary.

But I would plant Tkachuk right next to Eichel for the next ten years. Kid is gritty and has slick hands and finishing ability near the net. 

I think Calgary actually has potential at least - a good defensive group, a good goalie, and a top 10 scorer with some decent middle six depth that underperformed this year, versus ECHL goaltending, no real stars on offense, and good defense.

I would say Dougie Hamilton or gtfo Calgary.

I agree Calgary > Carolina, but the goaltending is still suspect; Mike Smith is 36

Is Dougie really that much better than even Risto is? Off the top of my head, I'd much rather have Tkachuk and Valimaki then Dougie and some offensive prospect. A lot of that depends on who we get in the draft though

Edit: Appears Dougie is that much better than Risto. Just looked at his stats

Edited by Jokertecken

On a completely different note, this happened. Nothing like people trying to make sure others do not talk about things that make them uncomfortable. 

Was supposed to do this show yesterday. After it was promoted on Twitter and Garth Snow found out, #Isles made a call. Segment cancelled. Pathetically, he was worried about a harmless interview on the NHL’s own radio network. This is the Snow culture. GM since 2006.

I agree Calgary > Carolina, but the goaltending is still suspect; Mike Smith is 36

Is Dougie really that much better than even Risto is? Off the top of my head, I'd much rather have Tkachuk and Valimaki then Dougie and some offensive prospect. A lot of that depends on who we get in the draft though

Ryan O'Reilly, Robin Lehner for Tkachuk, and whatever else makes that work. 

Edited by Skurk Liger

Your view of Dougie has definitely come from his first season in Calgary, where he wasn't very good. The last two he's developed into a no BS top pairing guy, who is good at puck moving with possession and holding the blue line, things that we hate about Risto

Your view of Dougie has definitely come from his first season in Calgary, where he wasn't very good. The last two he's developed into a no BS top pairing guy, who is good at puck moving with possession and holding the blue line, things that we hate about Risto

I think you're probably right with that. I've seen maybe 40m of Dougie play in the last two seasons. I was really shocked looking up some of his numbers.

Ryan O'Reilly, Robin Lehner for Tkachuk, and whatever else makes that work. 

Say we get Dahlin, what package do you guys want from Calgary?

I think you're probably right with that. I've seen maybe 40m of Dougie play in the last two seasons. I was really shocked looking up some of his numbers.

Say we get Dahlin, what package do you guys want from Calgary?

Tkachuk. Adam Fox, Oliver Kylington and Frolik or Bouwer to help make the money work easier. That's my starting thought. Needs work but jumping off point. 

Edited by Skurk Liger

Really? A blue line with Dahlin, Hamilton, and Risto doesn't seem that excessive to you, given our complete garbage at wings?

A reasonably good defense is not excessive at all :lol:

Maybe compared to what we're used to, but that defense is probably league average until Dahlin hits his prime if he develops the way it seems like he might.

Edited by Randall Flagg

I want Risto to be on the 2nd pair. I think it's where he probably belongs.

I mean that's what he gets paid as, a 2nd pairing guy. Do you really wanna pay your top pair $18M though?

Not that it really matters, considering Dahlin won't get that contract for 5 years or so anyways 

I think I just value Risto more than everyone else ;)

And I really, really hate our wings. If I have to watch another season of Garbage - Eichel - Trash I'm going to lose it

That's how I feel about the prospect of watching Risto flail around against the best players in the league for 27 minutes per game.

But that's all Risto really does. He eats minutes and caches in on secondary assists. If he's not eating minutes then why even have him and pay him?

Not sure I agree with this honestly. People would be loving Risto if he was a 2nd pairing guy, or even if his role/minutes were less. He's a young, healthy, physical, and highly consistent 40pt d-man who costs next to nothing ($5.4M cap hit). He is a fantastic complimentary piece and a necessary one on a team

Well if you get Dahlin Risto doesn't play 27m per game, no?

Well Dahlin is a leftie, so unless Risto is upgraded, I imagine he'd still be top pair right side.

Not sure I agree with this honestly. People would be loving Risto if he was a 2nd pairing guy, or even if his role/minutes were less. He's a young, healthy, physical, and highly consistent 40pt d-man who costs next to nothing ($5.4M cap hit). He is a fantastic complimentary piece and a necessary one on a team

I agree with this (minus the assessment of his contract being next to nothing). I desperately want to see him in a reduced role. Hence my desire to go after Hamilton even if we get Dahlin.

Well Dahlin is a leftie, so unless Risto is upgraded, I imagine he'd still be top pair right side.

I agree with this (minus the assessment of his contract being next to nothing). I desperately want to see him in a reduced role. Hence my desire to go after Hamilton even if we get Dahlin.

Dahlin is a leftie, but he was glued to the RD spot in the WJC. Just like Antipin prefers his off-hand side, wouldn't be shocked to see Rasmus on his off-hand as well.

Dahlin is a leftie, but he was glued to the RD spot in the WJC. Just like Antipin prefers his off-hand side, wouldn't be shocked to see Rasmus on his off-hand as well.

It'll be interesting. Coaches (and I've even heard Phil say it, I believe) really prefer guys to play their "proper side", but I'd imagine that Rasmus will insist on playing RD.

What's wrong with his contract?

How many of his assists the last 2 years have been secondary?

If somebody other than a monkey coded corsica then I'd have the answer by now

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.