Two LW Ideas from the WC, plus another idea

GASabresIUFAN

1) Anders Lee.  He and Jack seem to have some real chemistry.  He is 26, can also play C in a pinch and has two more years at 3.75.

2) Nikita Gusev.  Scored today for Russia. IS 25 and was the 3rd leading scorer for St Pete in the KHL with 71 pts in admittedly a career year.  Could be a real value option to improve our LW depth at a bargain price.

Edited by GASabresFan

1) Anders Lee.  He and Jack seem to have some real chemistry.  He is 26, can also play C in a pinch and has two more years at 3.75.

2) Nikita Gusev.  Scored today for Russia. IS 25 and was the 3rd leading scorer for St Pete in the KHL with 71 pts in admittedly a career year.  Could be a real value option to improve our LW depth at a bargain price.

Have been an advocate for getting Lee for a while because of the chemistry aspect.

Don't know enough about Gusev but woukdn't be opposed.

What do you think it would cost to get Lee, especially if we trade Kane?

As to Gusev, I don't know his contract situation, but I wonder if we are going to get Antipin, could it hurt to see if he could be our Panarin?  He has a great set of wheels.  Great breakaway goal in the 1st today.

Edit: Apparently he is a TB property and a buddy of Kucherov.  His contract is up after next season...

Further Edit: Speaking of Russians, I just read that STL is unlikely to re-sign Nail Yakupov.  He had a paltry 9 points in 40 games for the Blues.  Before you say NFW, hear me out.  This kid is way to talented to play this badly.  It is a complete confidence thing.  I think it might be interesting to sign him and send him to the AHL to start the year to get his confidence back without the pressure of making the Sabres.  He'll probably get a better offer to go back to Russia, but the article said he wants to stay here.  I'd sign him and tell him if he finds his game he'll be recalled asap.  

Edited by GASabresFan

I currently believe Tampa holds Gusev's rights for 4 years after draft, would make him available last year. Maybe this has changed.

Gusev is good, but coming from the same country does not make him Panarin, it's an unfair comparison. Viable NHL player? yes he is, has been for a few years.

I know this is a slight topic change, as the thread is about depth, but I'd really like a look at ERod and ROR on LW on a long term basis. 

I don't understand the love for EROD on this board. The sabres will never be competitive if we have him on the roster outside of an emergency call up from the AHL.

In my mind he is the embodiment of the carousel of players this team fielded during the "tank-era". JAG who may make a flashy move every once in a while but would never see ice on any other team in the league.

I don't understand the love for EROD on this board. The sabres will never be competitive if we have him on the roster outside of an emergency call up from the AHL.

In my mind he is the embodiment of the carousel of players this team fielded during the "tank-era". JAG who may make a flashy move every once in a while but would never see ice on any other team in the league.

*golf clap*

Agree 100%.

He's a nice depth guy to stash in Roch, but will never be a regular at the NHL level... just not big and strong enough for the type of game he plays. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.