What is the best structure for the Sabres?

PromoTheRobot

Been thinking about the coach, GM, etc. search and something Terry Pegula said in his news conference. It's interesting that Terry said he would be leading the search. I wonder if some of his other decisions have been made with the influence of others and he's feeling like if he's going to be responsible for what happens he should at least be making his own choices?

Which brings me to the structure question. Can you have too many layers in an organization? You can have a POHO, GM and what have you when everything works and it's wonderful. But when it doesn't work, does it only serve to muddle the problems? Who is doing the bad job? Who's making the wrong decisions? And if you clean house are you getting rid of the good with the bad?

So I'm wondering if part of what Terry has to decide is does he want more or fewer cooks in the kitchen?

I think the structure Terry talks about is the power structure. As long as no one from the lower tiers steps on the toes of the people above them everything works. Ego plays a huge role. In reality you only need a POH, GM, Coach for the hockey side to work just fine.

It's pretty remarkable to think that Lindy Ruff, Darcy Regier, Ted Black, Cliff Benson, Ken Sawyer, Craig Patrick, Joe Battista, Ted Nolan, Ron Rolston, Tim Murray, Dan Byslma, two head scouts and one masseur are all gone. Terry, after six years, is literally the last man standing, albeit being propped up by Russ Brandon. Maybe that's the way he wants it. Maybe no one will ever be good enough for him.

The idea that Terry has been victim of others' advice and now has to step in to save his hockey team is totally laughable. His throwing Murray under the bus for the Bylsma hire and Patty under the bus for the Murray hire was quite the illustration of his mantra. Character, Discipline, Structure, Communication didn't survive one presser.

Edited by PASabreFan

It's pretty remarkable to think that Lindy Ruff, Darcy Regier, Ted Black, Cliff Benson, Ken Sawyer, Craig Patrick, Joe Battista, Ted Nolan, Ron Rolston, Tim Murray, Dan Byslma, two head scouts and one masseur are all gone. Terry, after six years, is literally the last man standing, albeit being propped up by Russ Brandon. Maybe that's the way he wants it. Maybe no one will ever be good enough for him.

The idea that Terry has been victim of others' advice and now has to step in to save his hockey team is totally laughable. His throwing Murray under the bus for the Bylsma hire and Patty under the bus for the Murray hire was quite the illustration of his mantra. Character, Discipline, Structure, Communication didn't survive one presser.

And like clockwork, you misconstrue my point to fit your conspiracy narrative

And like clockwork, you misconstrue my point to fit your conspiracy narrative

Maybe slightly misconstrued but not by much.

Here's one I play with in my mind sometimes: Head coach/GM with an associate coach and associate GM working closely with him. Strategy vs. tactics. Head coach develops the system and overall game plan, while the associate coach runs practices and is the "bench boss." Same idea with GM, who concentrates on the big picture and lets the associate GM... do what exactly? (I didn't say the idea was fully formed.)

This way, there's no light between the GM and coach. What coach hasn't wanted to have control over his lineup? What GM hasn't wanted to control how his players are coached?

This gives more direct control over things than a traditional president. It also places enormous power in one person. Is it too much for one guy? Not really. Travel could be limited; the day to day grunt work here is distributed among his staff. This is a thinking man's role.

An interesting question is whether your head coach has to be at the site of games. Could a head coach be back in Buffalo and be in contact with his associate in LA?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.