Could it still be Hammy Time?

PASabreFan

I'm still not sure if Brian Koziol had been enjoying his St. Patrick's Day a little too much — he did a weird bit on the apostrophe (which he first called a comma) in Ryan O'Reilly's name, not knowing, apparently, that O'Reilly is an Irish name, and he wasn't cleverly adding a comma, or whatever, to, say, Barack Obama, which was quite funny the first time someone did it, but I digress — but Koziol played Paul Hamilton's play by play call of the last goal the Sabres scored in LA, in 2010 (Craig Rivet), then said, "Hopefully we'll hear more calls like that," clarifying that he meant more calls from Hammy and not more Rivet goal calls.

Does Brian know something we don't? Isn't Dan Dunleavy's contract up soon? He can't be too happy with how things have worked out with Rick, predictably, canceling his retirement. If the Sabres are looking for a new voice, maybe considering getting rid of the simulcast, Hamilton would be an outstanding choice. You may or may not like Hammy the analyst, but Hammy the play by play guy is outstanding.

Edited by PASabreFan

Outstanding? I can't stand Hamilton as a play by play guy. Meanwhile, I like Dunleavy. To each their own I suppose.

True dat. I don't mind Dunleavy, he's grown on me a bit. If he made two adjustments, I would be more on board: call the opponents' goals clearly and with the respect an NHL goal deserves (none of this "and it's right in front..." pregnant pause while the crowd goes crazy... "and this game is tied"). And ramp up the enthusiasm for our goals. Dan has another gear, and when he finds it, he's very good. But it's like he's taking the very reasonable approach of holding his fire until it's a really big goal. It doesn't work well in this market that is used to Rick's apocalyptic calls of the second goal the Sabres score, with 12 seconds left in a 6-2 loss. Also, when the Sabres do manage to score a goal, it should always be fiesta time.

Edited by PASabreFan

I like Dunleavy.  I don't really want Hamilton calling games.  He's not terrible but I don't like him all that much either.

That said.. when you started I thought perhaps you meant Hamilton could replace Koziol.. how Koziol has a job is beyond me.  He's terrible to listen to and sounds distracted all the time.

I'm still not sure if Brian Koziol had been enjoying his St. Patrick's Day a little too much — he did a weird bit on the apostrophe (which he first called a comma) in Ryan O'Reilly's name, not knowing, apparently, that O'Reilly is an Irish name, and he wasn't cleverly adding a comma, or whatever, to, say, Barack Obama, which was quite funny the first time someone did it, but I digress — but Koziol played Paul Hamilton's play by play call of the last goal the Sabres scored in LA, in 2010 (Craig Rivet), then said, "Hopefully we'll hear more calls like that," clarifying that he meant more calls from Hammy and not more Rivet goal calls.

Does Brian know something we don't? Isn't Dan Dunleavy's contract up soon? He can't be too happy with how things have worked out with Rick, predictably, canceling his retirement. If the Sabres are looking for a new voice, maybe considering getting rid of the simulcast, Hamilton would be an outstanding choice. You may or may not like Hammy the analyst, but Hammy the play by play guy is outstanding.

And Dunleavy is absolutely terrible. Anyone but him has to be improvement.

Hamilton is terrible. Can't stand him

Please don't tell us Dunleavy isn't terrible.

Play by play guys are cookie cutter nowadays. You're not going to find a hidden gem. They all say the same thing, use the same buzz words and catch phrases........... The only difference is their voice and how they interact with their other commentators. That is what needs work because BFLO might be the only team where the on-ice guy is also the color commentator. (I only say that because I don't know of any other, and I haven't paid much attention)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.