The sky is falling!

JJFIVEOH

The sky is definitely not falling.  I think your reaction to the last couple of days was a direct result of your perspective on whether you thought we were a playoff ready team. I got sacked into the hype, but I have come to realize that we are still on schedule for a reasonable rebuild playoffs or not.  When you looked at the contracts we had at the end of last season, there was no way we were a playoff team and you can't buy out or bury everyone.  When Gorges, Franson, Moulson, Gionta Ennis Foligno and Dlo are replaced with new and better versions like Bailey, Nylander, Guhle et al, we will not only be a playoff team but perhaps even a contender.  We will get by, we will survive.  

Pretty sure there are top six guys worse than Nelson. Like Sbisa.

Nelson is the worst I have ever seen. Yes, he has a good stick, but can't/won't hit, take the body or win battles. He does not belong in NHL

The sky is definitely not falling.  I think your reaction to the last couple of days was a direct result of your perspective on whether you thought we were a playoff ready team. I got sacked into the hype, but I have come to realize that we are still on schedule for a reasonable rebuild playoffs or not.  When you looked at the contracts we had at the end of last season, there was no way we were a playoff team and you can't buy out or bury everyone.  When Gorges, Franson, Moulson, Gionta Ennis Foligno and Dlo are replaced with new and better versions like Bailey, Nylander, Guhle et al, we will not only be a playoff team but perhaps even a contender.  We will get by, we will survive.  

I have zero problem with the forwards. And I totally agree with you on that part. But on defense it looks horrible! And if we go forward this year without any more depth there at D we will be picking high again

I

Nelson is the worst I have ever seen. Yes, he has a good stick, but can't/won't hit, take the body or win battles. He does not belong in NHL

Luca Sbisa is worse, and so is that guy in Ottawa that starts with a B. Justin Schultz in Edmonton last year was worse.

Nelson is completely overmatched for sure, but his game Thursday wasn't even in the ten worst we've seen a Sabre have the last three years.

Nelson is the worst I have ever seen. Yes, he has for.being d stick, but can't/won't hit, take the body or win battles. He does not belong in NHL

I have zero problem with the forwards. And I totally agree with you on that part. But on defense it looks horrible! And if we go forward this year without any more depth there at D we will be picking high again

I

But it looks bad because Kulikov and OK didn't play and ROR is at 80%.  As much as he took crap for being a bad fancy stat player, Jack took pressure off of our d with his ability to gain the zone without them.  If Franson is in the press box for 6/7 games and Gorges is tutoring Nelson in sheltered minutes it will look better.  Not great but better.

Oh...picking high might not be a bad thing for one more year.  Not advocating a tank, but the talent level in Edmonton, Toronto, the Peg, Calgary TBD and elsewhere is pretty strong.   If we get another asset to either develop or trade that is not bad.  I want a team that can win it all not simply make a cameo in April. I am willing to give it the time it needs.

Edited by 3putt

Do I need to be taking shelter in my ebola/zika bunker?

(Just a useless thread created for my own entertainment. Feel free to delete it)

But the doomsday atmosphere around here is rather comical, you have to admit.

You have to admit it's a crappy start to a season filled with optimism

But it looks bad because Kulikov and OK didn't play and ROR is at 80%.  As much as he took crap for being a bad fancy stat player, Jack took pressure off of our d with his ability to gain the zone without them.  If Franson is in the press box for 6/7 games and Gorges is tutoring Nelson in sheltered minutes it will look better.  Not great but better.

Oh...picking high might not be a bad thing for one more year.  Not advocating a tank, but the talent level in Edmonton, Toronto, the Peg, Calgary TBD and elsewhere is pretty strong.   If we get another asset to either develop or trade that is not bad.  I want a team that can win it all not simply make a cameo in April. I am willing to give it the time it needs.

If getting one more asset is what'll put us over the top, we shouldn't be waiting an entire other year to get it. If we are more than one asset away, finishing near the bottom to fill only one potential hole (in 3 years when the player plays) isn't good enough. Murray should be taking steps to improve now, if possible.

I get the patient approach, but why do I feel like in 3 years some people will still be saying, "ah, one more high pick isn't so bad!". That's how you become Edmonton. When you've been out of the playoffs for 5 straight, going on 6 seasons, one has to look at the entire timeframe regardless of who was/is in charge and start to expect more immediate results.

The currency of hope for the future is the easiest to market and sell. It never actually needs to come to pass, the future is always an untouchable abstract.

I think that is where we disagree. If you change captains mid voyage and he charts a course that is going to take longer than anticipated you disregard the time up to the change.  Murray has been at the helm for 2 years.  Competing beyond the first round in 2017-18, is not unreasonable in my opinion.

Selling hope is not the issue.  Selling hype is the problem. When we drafted Jack the expectations went off the rails.  A roster with Moulson, Franson, Gorges, Gionta, Foligno and Dlo is not a playoff roster.  I think when healthy this team will be better and I like that we have players cooking in Rochester.  But until we get rid of the aforementioned we are not a playoff winning caliber team.

If winning is predicated on getting rid of all those guys, that's not a feasible option. Isn't Moulson here for another 3 seasons including this one?

When Murray took over, didn't he say quite seriously that he wasn't one to come up with a 5 year plan? The implication was that was unacceptable. I hardly think by that he meant 4 years was fine, and this year is his 3rd full year. He anticipated being good by now. Maybe we are and it's just the injuries.

But short of that, we should be winning now.

Does everyone still have that same level of enthusiasm they had before game one? Foe me, it was a huge let down and looked too familiar. I know it's one game, that's what sports fandom is all about, the emotions from game to game. I watched the first two Leafs game, I have to say, I would love that level of excitement here. Eight goals in two games, their first 6 goals were scored by rookies. 

I know the Sabres were extremely shorthanded going into game #1, I just wish I would have come away from that game thinking some players really stepped up.  

A little bit. It's par for the course for BFLO sports. 

Sadly, it is

You guys don't get it.

This thread is a satire based all the doom and gloom around this message board after one game ... one stinking game.

JJ does not think the sky is actually falling.  That's for little chickens, not Sabre fans.

Thanks for the explanation but we get it

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.