Hecht out "long term" with a knee again

PASabreFan

Terrible news. The coach says Hecht will be out "long term" after a collision at center ice with Darcy Tucker on an apparent knee on knee hit. "Weeks and weeks" said Ruff, apparently referring to how long Hecht will be gone. The question is: was Hecht rushed back? This is ridiculous.

Just heard Ruff unload about how Tucker needs to be suspended, and that the Hecht penalty was a joke for what Tucker did. Said he'd appear at the hearing for Tucker... GR said they would be replaying it in a few minutes...

I don't think he was rushed back at all. And i'm just incensed over this. I've had it. I kept my mouth shut through all this "conspiracy" bull. But Tucker getting away with what he did tonite is disgusting, sickening, pathetic.. give it whatever adjective you want.......

And don't get me started on not reviewing that goal to see if the puck crossed before the whistle.....

Just heard Ruff unload about how Tucker needs to be suspended, and that the Hecht penalty was a joke for what Tucker did. Said he'd appear at the hearing for Tucker... GR said they would be replaying it in a few minutes...

I just turned to WGR to listen to this. I noticed Hecht didn't return after the penalty. Tucker should be suspended, no question. Intent to injure on that one. I'm too pissed off for words.

Rock, I don't think the "quick whistle" is something that can be reviewed. Once the ref loses sight of the puck and starts to toot the whistle, it's good night nurse.

Paul Hamilton of WGR thinks it might be the other knee -- the left knee.

Terrible news. The coach says Hecht will be out "long term" after a collision at center ice with Darcy Tucker on an apparent knee on knee hit. "Weeks and weeks" said Ruff, apparently referring to how long Hecht will be gone. The question is: was Hecht rushed back? This is ridiculous.

Paul Hamilton just said it's the other knee, so no, he wasn't necessarily rushed back...

Rock, I don't think the "quick whistle" is something that can be reviewed. Once the ref loses sight of the puck and starts to toot the whistle, it's good night nurse.

Paul Hamilton of WGR thinks it might be the other knee -- the left knee.

Your feed must be a few seconds faster than mine... ;)

Let's hope "long term" doesn't mean the rest of the season. Or that perhaps the early diagnosis is wrong. Awful.

Rock, there's no video review of whether the puck crosses the line before a whistle, according to the official rulebook you can view at nhl.com. Sometimes they show it on TV and have viewers listen for the whistle, but it's not an actual league review.

Not true PA. They CAN review, to see if the puck went in before the whistle, same as the end of period/game.

Like Eleven... I'm the same way. I'VE HAD IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry RDJ, PA is correct on this one. There are 7 situations subject to video review and puck in the net prior to whistle blowing is not included among them. If the ref claims he lost sight of the puck and was in the process of blowing his whistle before it is in the net, technically there isn't anything you can do about it.

The reason they don't review for that, IIRC, is there will be a very slight delay between when the ref goes to blow the whistle and when the whistle actually blows. The play is supposed to be dead when the ref loses sight of the puck.

Personally, I think that should be reviewable. I also think the reviews, after being initiated upstairs or in TO or wherever, should be conducted by the ref. It wouldn't take major renovations to the penalty timekeeper's box to provide a monitor the ref could view.

I just turned to WGR to listen to this. I noticed Hecht didn't return after the penalty. Tucker should be suspended, no question. Intent to injure on that one. I'm too pissed off for words.

Well, if Danny's "high stick" was worth 2 games, let's see what this will be worth. Unfortunately, although F*cker has a history of intentionally injuring players, I will be surprised to see him get any suspension. He didn't get anything when he started whacking a guy upside the head with the guy's own helmet, I can't imagine the people working in the League Office in TORONTO (or do suspensions come out of NY?, I can't remember) would suspend a beloved Laff.

NHL IS Toronto Biased: It's officiating offices located in Toronto and what is ONE (just one) good reason as to why the goal wasn't reversed? or atleast reviewed??? Just go look at the film and I'd be happy, but because it was Toronto...what?? your claiming that the wistle already blew? F- that!! Colin Campbell NEEDS to BE FIRED!!! He and his officiating crew blows, get new guys in there reffing to call this new game and NOT old refs who have been aclamated to the 'OLD' NHL..... Why not, in "The NEW NHL" not switch to "new" Refs?? These Refs are worse than blind bats. Tucker doesn't get a penalty for Unsportsmanslike??? WHY??? One reason...The refs SUCK!!! Just like Colin Campbell. F*** the officiating, caz they have certanaly done that to us Too many times in the past and will continue to do so~!

The injury and the hit are kind of shocking to me - I was working from home and watching the game at the same time, so I didn't see the full hit. Also, and not surprisingly, the Leafs TV crew (from Centre Ice) didn't make much mention of Hecht not returning, and IIRC, was more focused on Hecht's high-stick.

Hopefully Tucker is in the lineup April 16 and someone finally takes him out...

Hopefully Tucker is in the lineup April 16 and someone finally takes him out...

I hold out little hope that he will be. If you were Toronto's coach, would you play Tucker in the second last game of the year for a team that wont be in the playoffs?

I sure as hell wouldn't.

I hold out little hope that he will be. If you were Toronto's coach, would you play Tucker in the second last game of the year for a team that wont be in the playoffs?

I sure as hell wouldn't.

Neither would I, but it is Pat Quinn we are talking about...

they can kill darcy tucker and it won't make hecht's knee heal any faster. besides, he's one of those guys who lives for this crap, and he's probably grateful for the attention...a better punishment would be fine/suspention, though i won't hold my breath for that, either.

they can kill darcy tucker and it won't make hecht's knee heal any faster. besides, he's one of those guys who lives for this crap, and he's probably grateful for the attention...a better punishment would be fine/suspention, though i won't hold my breath for that, either.

I agree a fine/suspension is the way to go, but lets look at the NHL's sliding scale of justice:

Orpik gets 3 games for breaking the neck of a rising star;

Briere gets 2 games for an accidental high-stick against an aging former star;

Tucker gets __ game(s) for a knee-on-knee hit on a player not many people outside Buffalo know.

We all know the NHL won't do a thing, and if they do, there are a ton of hockey fans in Buffalo that might have heart attacks.

Besides, the Leafs are all but done - how does a Tucker suspension hurt them? We lost one of our top 6 forwards for a playoff run, they lose a third-liner for a couple games. Doesn't seem fair. Personally, I'd rather see someone take Tucker out to the woodshed - not only would it make a lot of Sabres fans feel better, it would serve a couple purposes - it would show the Sabres have some heart and will stick up for one another, and it will also prove to any playoff opponents (Philly, maybe) who might try to goon up the playoffs to negate Buffalo's speed - showing that Buffalo won't let any team physically take advantage of them.

Plus, it would be cool to see Tucker get his butt kicked. ;)

I agree a fine/suspension is the way to go, but lets look at the NHL's sliding scale of justice:

Orpik gets 3 games for breaking the neck of a rising star;

Briere gets 2 games for an accidental high-stick against an aging former star;

Tucker gets __ game(s) for a knee-on-knee hit on a player not many people outside Buffalo know.

We all know the NHL won't do a thing, and if they do, there are a ton of hockey fans in Buffalo that might have heart attacks.

Besides, the Leafs are all but done - how does a Tucker suspension hurt them? We lost one of our top 6 forwards for a playoff run, they lose a third-liner for a couple games. Doesn't seem fair. Personally, I'd rather see someone take Tucker out to the woodshed - not only would it make a lot of Sabres fans feel better, it would serve a couple purposes - it would show the Sabres have some heart and will stick up for one another, and it will also prove to any playoff opponents (Philly, maybe) who might try to goon up the playoffs to negate Buffalo's speed - showing that Buffalo won't let any team physically take advantage of them.

Plus, it would be cool to see Tucker get his butt kicked. ;)

NHL might surprise us & do this right. This isn't exactly Tucker's first offense (ask Michael Peca).

I love the Toronto media take on the hit:

Some sampling:

"Midway through the third period, Hecht flattened Tucker when he was coming out of his own end. The feisty Leafs forward went after Hecht and a short time later appeared to nail the Sabre with a knee-on-knee collision. Hecht went back at Tucker with a shot to his head and was called for a high-sticking infraction."

TORONTO - It was a rare sight to see the always fiery Darcy Tucker outthink his opponent last night.

"Clearly agitated, Tucker appeared to go looking to make a hit in the neutral zone, and collided with Hecht. Only the latter received a penalty on the play from referees Dennis LaRue and Craig Spada, as Hecht got his stick up when he saw Tucker coming and was assessed a minor for high-sticking."

Just some morning humor to cheer everyone up.

Seriously, is there any chance Ruff is so pissed off that he is exaggerating the injury a bit to force a suspension? I hope so. The players didn't seem angry in the lockerroom afterwards, which seemed odd. Then again, no one seemed angry after the hit, either.

NHL might surprise us & do this right. This isn't exactly Tucker's first offense (ask Michael Peca).

I hope that is the case, but given the NHL's history, I just don't think we'll see much happen.

Archived