Gord Downie has terminal brain cancer

darksabre

The song right before the last encore was a special moment. Pretty intense. I don't want to say they should have ended it there, and I understand why they couldn't, but,…

I thought it was over with Grace Too and I was OK with that. Good note to end on.

But coming back and playing my three favourite songs they hadn't played?

That was unexpected and felt personal.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/21/entertainment/canada-tragically-hip-singer-gord-downie-concert-trnd/index.html

so a bit of my own connection to the Hip; I grew up as a late teen weaned on the Hip through obvious media like CFNY then went away to 4 yr University not far from Cornwall & Kingston. This location offered me great exposure to the then must-have Montreal stations like CHOM, where my diet of the Hip was filled.

I then got into the Brit guitar/art/shoegaze rock revolution of The Smiths, Stone Roses, Oasis, Echo & the Bunnymen, Roxy Music, James, Joy Division/New Order, The Housemartins, The The, Slowdive, Ride, Lush, and the Madchester scene. I have a great ongoing collection to The Smiths via Johnny Marr and his solo work if anyone is interested, please PM me.

This post, however, is a true homage to Gord & the Hip. Thanks for making my developmental years very memorable.

first song ever heard: "Grace, Too" - live from Detroit Cobo Hall.

Edited by BuffaninATL

Awesome sauce, thanks CV

You're welcome.  Watching the SNL performances and other past live shows on Youtube, you get to see the more animated and greater vocal range version of Gord than what we saw on Saturday night, which obviously should be no surprise given his health.  It was an amazing gift from a dying man to allow for all his millions of fans this final tour goodbye.

What Gord Downie Just Taught Us About Dying...And Living

It was not a lyric that finally pushed me over the edge however, rather it was when Gord said simply, “Have a nice life.” Four simple words, so often said dripping with disdain in our modern society that it caught me off guard. There was no bitterness, anger, or resentment in those words; it was said with gut-wrenching sincerity to each and every one of us. In that moment, I was beyond grateful for the music, the band, and the man that has been part of life’s playlist since I was sixteen.

I don't propose to know what goes on inside the head of someone facing imminent death. All I know is that a man should be judged by his actions in the face of it. Gord Downie just showed us all how to die with courage, and grace too. 

Edited by Claude_Verret

You're welcome.  Watching the SNL performances and other past live shows on Youtube, you get to see the more animated and greater vocal range version of Gord than what we saw on Saturday night, which obviously should be no surprise given his health.  It was an amazing gift from a dying man to allow for all his millions of fans this final tour goodbye.

What Gord Downie Just Taught Us About Dying...And Living

OMG I could not stop balling my eyes out after reading that story.....going through my own personal bereavement now, not human death; the death of my own marriage.  Sorry for TMI but I had to post this after doing so on my FB page.

Grace, Too ..... may we all receive it. Whatever you believe in.

I had my annual bash Saturday night and  couldn't watch it but have it on the PVR...........I have watched about 4 or 5 songs.....Is it me or is the band louder than the singer and he can't really be heard right? Does the sound get better? I have it on the CBC and not sure if anyone else carried it? I had two tickets for me and my better half for a concert a few years back but gave the ticket to a friend and she went with my gf....I wish I would have bought three tickets now.

I had my annual bash Saturday night and couldn't watch it but have it on the PVR...........I have watched about 4 or 5 songs.....Is it me or is the band louder than the singer and he can't really be heard right? Does the sound get better? I have it on the CBC and not sure if anyone else carried it? I had two tickets for me and my better half for a concert a few years back but gave the ticket to a friend and she went with my gf....I wish I would have bought three tickets now.

It didn't start out good. Sound got better after Gord's first suit change.

Hanging out at my mom's house in West Seneca after my nephew's wedding at Holiday Valley in Ellicottville yesterday. I found out that one of their first dates was a Tragically Hip concert in 2010, plus they went to one of the final concerts this month. They had assigned seats at the reception. You had to look for your name on a board in the entrance to find the name of your table... And the tables were all named for Tragically Hip songs.

Edited by Robin Egg

Hanging out at my mom's house in West Seneca after my nephew's wedding at Holiday Valley in Ellicottville yesterday. I found out that one of their first dates was a Tragically Hip concert in 2010, plus they went to one of the final concerts this month. They had assigned seats at the reception. You had to look for your name on a board in the entrance to find the name of your table... And the tables were all named for Tragically Hip songs.

Cool. What table were you at?

I've enjoyed seeing how this man, band and music has touched you all. I have familiarity with most music ranging from intimate to tangential. I can't claim that with The Hip. Life, circumstances, distractions. Somehow, I missed this band. Oh, I know the name, but not a thing more.

Sounds like I missed something special.

• 1 month later...

Gord Downie interview

What will make you at peace?

Just doing things. So I've got, I don't know, two or three or four records sitting in the can. You know, a record The Hip are working on

We could hear more from The Hip?

Yeah. To the point where it'll be like, "Jesus, is that guy not dead yet?" Canadians can be funny.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.