GDT: Buffalo @ Florida, 7:30 pm edt, 10/15/2105

WildCard

This team, despite the loss, is soooooooo much better than last year. I had lots of fun watching tonight. Can't wait til Kane and Ennis start really clicking.

This

My impression is that the team just needs to gel a little more.  They look good at times but at others they look out of sync.

And this

People want to send him to rochester, but screening is hockey IQ as well.

It's uncanny how well he tracks the play.  His movement was exactly synchronized with Luongo's despite the fact that he wasn't looking at him.

Let's take a minute to appreciate how good Jake McCabe was tonight.

Monster game for him.  I hope that he and Pysyk can supplant Weber and Franson as the #2 pair soon.  Speaking of which, I have no idea how those two don't get scored on more.  Is Hot Daniel secretly a genius? Are we just getting lucky?

I have seen all that I need of Eichel and Kane.  They're even starting to get used to one another, but it's so infuriating for Jack not to be carrying the puck more.  Kane is such a strong individual player, why not play him with Girgensons or Larsson or O'Reilly centering him?  Kane- O'Reilly - Girgensons would be impossible to play against.

Ennis got the 3rd star, but I thought he played pretty bad tonight.  Wasn't seeing the ice well.

There are a few times per game when this team makes me say "Wow those guys are good."  The passing up ice is so much better than last year it hurts.  It's not just that better players are receiving the passes, they actually have a system of finding the next open man up ice.  It's a thing of beauty.  Even if I disagree with his line combos, Hot Daniel can teach.

It's uncanny how well he tracks the play.  His movement was exactly synchronized with Luongo's despite the fact that he wasn't looking at him.

Monster game for him.  I hope that he and Pysyk can supplant Weber and Franson as the #2 pair soon.  Speaking of which, I have no idea how those two don't get scored on more.  Is Hot Daniel secretly a genius? Are we just getting lucky?

I have seen all that I need of Eichel and Kane.  They're even starting to get used to one another, but it's so infuriating for Jack not to be carrying the puck more.  Kane is such a strong individual player, why not play him with Girgensons or Larsson or O'Reilly centering him?  Kane- O'Reilly - Girgensons would be impossible to play against.

Ennis got the 3rd star, but I thought he played pretty bad tonight.  Wasn't seeing the ice well.

There are a few times per game when this team makes me say "Wow those guys are good."  The passing up ice is so much better than last year it hurts.  It's not just that better players are receiving the passes, they actually have a system of finding the next open man up ice.  It's a thing of beauty.  Even if I disagree with his line combos, Hot Daniel can teach.

100% this.

And get Weber out of there immediately. That dude just cannot play hockey, he looked miserable tonight

I thought Weber played pretty well considering he was over his head as a 2nd pairing guy.  Dude can play hockey, just in the 6/7th defenseman role.  I think Swamp pointed it out earlier, but Weber is strong on the boards and pretty consistent in his own end.  He definitely struggles to find the open man once he does have the puck but he isn't anywhere near as bad as people make him out to be.

I thought Weber played pretty well considering he was over his head as a 2nd pairing guy.  Dude can play hockey, just in the 6/7th defenseman role.  I think Swamp pointed it out earlier, but Weber is strong on the boards and pretty consistent in his own end.  He definitely struggles to find the open man once he does have the puck but he isn't anywhere near as bad as people make him out to be.

His lack of foot speed is terminal.

He's good along the boards, that's about it. 

His lack of foot speed is terminal.

It's terrible. That, and he can't get out of his own zone with anything but throwing it at the boards. Which leads to a re-entry and him throwing it at the boards again. Even when he has time he misses the open guy in the neutral zone. Cannot make a stretch pass

Oh and Larsson! He was awesome. Like Girgensons, possessing the puck seems to come naturally to him.  There was a play near the end of the game that embodied his style perfectly  He was skating up the left boards at center ice and could have dumped it in and went off for a change, but instead he pulled it back, bodied out two guys and made the pass back to his defenseman.  He even waited to play the puck to avoid a too many men penalty.  Smart, strong, and consistent.

Weber's lack of footspeed really isn't terminal.  It's just that he's getting over 12 minutes a night.

Oh and Larsson! He was awesome. Like Girgensons, possessing the puck seems to come naturally to him.  There was a play near the end of the game that embodied his style perfectly  He was skating up the left boards at center ice and could have dumped it in and went off for a change, but instead he pulled it back, bodied out two guys and made the pass back to his defenseman.  He even waited to play the puck to avoid a too many men penalty.  Smart, strong, and consistent.

The play he made where he pulled it back instead of dumping it in during a change allowed us to keep possession. Plays like that pay dividends down the road.

I was going to mention something about Foligno being kind of invisible out there, then I saw another replay of the McCabe goal and realized he feathered a beautiful pass across the goal mouth to give McCabe the easy goal.

That pass was pretty.  But the finish wasn't that easy.  It was sort of a tricky angle and McCabe had a really slick finish that made it look easy.

That pass was pretty.  But the finish wasn't that easy.  It was sort of a tricky angle and McCabe had a really slick finish that made it look easy.

True enough on the tough angle part, but Luongo was nowhere near in position for a save... that was the easy part.

My overall observation is that they are still anxious in the o zone. The instinct is to bang the puck somewhere as opposed to taking an extra second to look for a better scoring chance. We gave it up too easily at times. I think by Christmas they find the comfort level. They have the wheels to play with anyone.

There are so many good things that I'm seeing that the loss isn't stinging so much. 

The Sabres protect the puck well. Very few give-aways. Maybe not any. Really so much improved.

Teams are taking a ton of penalties against Buffalo. That is speed. One PPG could have tipped this one.

Ocho isn't the future. He's a serviceable back-up. But he's not going to steal many. 

There are so many good things that I'm seeing that the loss isn't stinging so much. 

The Sabres protect the puck well. Very few give-aways. Maybe not any. Really so much improved.

Teams are taking a ton of penalties against Buffalo. That is speed. One PPG could have tipped this one.

Ocho isn't the future. He's a serviceable back-up. But he's not going to steal many.

I think we see Linus in a few weeks. Ocho didn't cost us this game but like you said he didn't steal one either. The team speed is impressive. They need to learn how to play in control at that speed. Lots to like early on and DB seems to have everyone rowing in the same direction.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.