Eichel vs. McDavid

WildCard

94 members have voted

1. 1. Who will have the better rookie year?

• Eichel
    • McDavid
  2. 2. Who will end their career with more points?

• Eichel
    • McDavid
  3. 3. Who will win more Stanley Cups?

• Eichel
    • McDavid

I love the surprise ending.  :)

Stats so far:

Player  GP G  A  P  +/- PIM PPG PPP SHG SHP GWG OTG  S  S%   TOI/GP Shifts/GP FOW%

Eichel  3  2  0  2  -1   2   1   1   0   0   1   0   6  33.3 19:38  25.3      44.4

McDavid 2  0  0  0  -1   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   4  0.0  18:23  22.0      20.8

The face-offs are what really surprise me. I remember talk on this board of that, and his occasional coasting/not moving his feet away from the puck, being the only two concerns we had with Eichel. Well, today he scored a goal by moving his feet away from the puck, and he's been very good on face-offs so far, vs what I imagine to be good competition as he's on the 2nd line

The face-offs are what really surprise me. I remember talk on this board of that, and his occasional coasting/not moving his feet away from the puck, being the only two concerns we had with Eichel. Well, today he scored a goal by moving his feet away from the puck, and he's been very good on face-offs so far, vs what I imagine to be good competition as he's on the 2nd line

The stat comparison might make for an interesting chart over the season.

If Eichel clearly proves to be the better player this year, do you think it will send more prospects the college route or will people say Eichel was naturally more suited for the NHL? It's too bad Matthews went overseas, it could have helped the NCAA argument. 

I personally think that Eichel was just naturally more suited for the NHL simply because of the physicality he brings. Not in the sense of knocking people off their feet, but in the sense of staying on the puck and showing balance. The way he moves on the ice is reminiscent of a skater that's 15-20 pounds lighter than him, but with that weight and acceleration he looks like a train coming at you. In the Eichel v. McDavid comparison, while Eichel is only listed at 10 pounds heavier than McDavid, he plays as if he has 20 pounds on him. Each stride seems so forceful. That's why I figured he would have a better rookie year than McDavid because he seemed more physically ready. Over time that advantage will probably even out but still the point remains for the near future. 

Either way, the NCAA would be smart to leverage Eichel's success to get more prospects to go the college route. 

Jesus NHL network, just ###### him already and get it over with

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=2&id=846671

Why does this bother you so much? I mean Jack is here and isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Enjoy it Think the fans in Detroit aren't drooling over Larkin? The Peg Ehlers? The Rags fans? McDavid will be a superstar. But so will Jack. Relax. Enjoy. Let it go. The media has a vested interest in promoting McDavid, it is easy journalism. The season will play out and we will see where the chips fall. In the meantime we get to watch this kid in Blue and Gold all season.

I personally think that Eichel was just naturally more suited for the NHL simply because of the physicality he brings. Not in the sense of knocking people off their feet, but in the sense of staying on the puck and showing balance. The way he moves on the ice is reminiscent of a skater that's 15-20 pounds lighter than him, but with that weight and acceleration he looks like a train coming at you. In the Eichel v. McDavid comparison, while Eichel is only listed at 10 pounds heavier than McDavid, he plays as if he has 20 pounds on him. Each stride seems so forceful. That's why I figured he would have a better rookie year than McDavid because he seemed more physically ready. Over time that advantage will probably even out but still the point remains for the near future.

Either way, the NCAA would be smart to leverage Eichel's success to get more prospects to go the college route.

The US NTDP has a lot to do with his readiness. They learn how to train. They focus on skill development and they force these kids to grow up fast. The junior model is based on competition. The players are there to win games and fill seats. Not a lot of focus on strength training or skill development. It is more about game play and winning games. College follows that model a bit but they only play on weekends for the most part and can spend more time in the weight rob and skill development. Edited by 3putt

Went to the Stars/Edmonton game last night and certainly watched McDavid.  A few observations:

1. He certainly looks big enough, not Eichel size, but big enough to play in the NHL.
  2. He was on the line with Benoit Pouliot and Nail Yakupov.  Two under-performers.
  3. He did not play on the penalty kill at all.
  4. Right in front of us (we sit 10 rows above the ice in the corner) he displayed some nice/fancy stick work, essentially controlling the puck with one hand while fending the defender off.
  5. There was one time when when he rushed up the ice, showing some good speed, but then lost control of the puck.
  6. Nice deflection to score -- that was on the other end of the ice, so my view is not as good as the ones on TV/Internet.
  7. Played on the second unit PP and did not seem to be the QB.

I got the sense they are brining him along slowly whereas Eichel is on the PK, QB of the PP, etc.

I will be going to Stars/Buf, so I will have the pleasure of watching both!

Went to the Stars/Edmonton game last night and certainly watched McDavid.  A few observations:

1. He certainly looks big enough, not Eichel size, but big enough to play in the NHL.
  2. He was on the line with Benoit Pouliot and Nail Yakupov.  Two under-performers.
  3. He did not play on the penalty kill at all.
  4. Right in front of us (we sit 10 rows above the ice in the corner) he displayed some nice/fancy stick work, essentially controlling the puck with one hand while fending the defender off.
  5. There was one time when when he rushed up the ice, showing some good speed, but then lost control of the puck.
  6. Nice deflection to score -- that was on the other end of the ice, so my view is not as good as the ones on TV/Internet.
  7. Played on the second unit PP and did not seem to be the QB.

I got the sense they are brining him along slowly whereas Eichel is on the PK, QB of the PP, etc.

I will be going to Stars/Buf, so I will have the pleasure of watching both!

Thanks for the in person analysis of McDavid, much appreciated. I'm interested to know how Yak and Pouliot looked with him. Were they successful at all on zone entries, passes, or any sustained offensive zone presence (cycling down low, etc.), or was it McDavid carrying the line and being severely held back.

I can't wait for Yak to go back to Russia. I don't think him or, unrelated but Barkov, are anything special. Barkov is certainly better than Yak, but I think the Panthers will regret that pick

Thanks for the in person analysis of McDavid, much appreciated. I'm interested to know how Yak and Pouliot looked with him. Were they successful at all on zone entries, passes, or any sustained offensive zone presence (cycling down low, etc.), or was it McDavid carrying the line and being severely held back.

I can't wait for Yak to go back to Russia. I don't think him or, unrelated but Barkov, are anything special. Barkov is certainly better than Yak, but I think the Panthers will regret that pick

Barkov is like a giant Reinhart. Take that as you will.

1) Yes I do, although as always, "better" isn't always easy to get a consensus on.

2) Probably better than Brady with a halo.

He's off to a good start this season. And I'll admit I haven't seen nearly enough of him since he's come into the league, I wasn't a very big fan of him during that draft though. I'll be looking closely at him tonight

Edited by WildCard

Poor Connor:

http://www.si.com/nhl/2015/10/14/connor-mcdavid-edmonton-oilers-first-nhl-goal

Article title: Slow start, steep NHL learning curve wearing on Connor McDavid

Some excerpts: 

"He had some recurring problems in Dallas, including another miserable night in the circle (he's now clicking at 24.2 percent on the draw). And there was that appalling backcheck on Jason Spezza's late-third period game winner."

"He’s being overly cautious when it comes to leaving the zone, hesitating that extra moment to ensure that he doesn’t get caught going the wrong way on a turnover."

"To make the inevitable comparison, take a look at Jack Eichel in Buffalo. He clearly wants to be the man. He wants the puck. He wants to be the focus. The results have been immediate and spectacular."

Now I know that McDavid will figure it out and eventually be really good, but I think we lucked out and got the best player in the draft and the best player for our organization.  We needed a leader to lead us from the depths of the NHL.  Eichel has been amazing from the start and I'm so glad that we aren't having these same discussions as are being had about McDavid.  Especially since we're Buffalo and we tend to get carried away over-analyzing things quite often.  :w00t:

Now I know that McDavid will figure it out and eventually be really good, but I think we lucked out and got the best player in the draft and the best player for our organization.  We needed a leader to lead us from the depths of the NHL.  Eichel has been amazing from the start and I'm so glad that we aren't having these same discussions as are being had about McDavid.  Especially since we're Buffalo and we tend to get carried away over-analyzing things quite often.  :w00t:

Put McDavid in the Sabres lineup and Jack in Edmonton.  Do they pan out the same through a handful of games?  Maybe Connor thrives because he's got enough of the right kind of support around him and assumes that "be the man" role seamlessly.  Maybe Jack seizes control in Edomonton but just doesn't have the right supporting cast and struggles.

I think part of it is the player himself, part of it is the supporting cast, and Edmonton hasn't done as good a job of assembling that supporting cast as Buffalo has, including veteran mentorship.

For the record, that's a Devil's Advocate argument.  I'm totally stoked we ended up with Eichel and I think he is (at this point, anyway) the better player.

Put McDavid in the Sabres lineup and Jack in Edmonton.  Do they pan out the same through a handful of games?  Maybe Connor thrives because he's got enough of the right kind of support around him and assumes that "be the man" role seamlessly.  Maybe Jack seizes control in Edomonton but just doesn't have the right supporting cast and struggles.

I think part of it is the player himself, part of it is the supporting cast, and Edmonton hasn't done as good a job of assembling that supporting cast as Buffalo has, including veteran mentorship.

For the record, that's a Devil's Advocate argument.  I'm totally stoked we ended up with Eichel and I think he is (at this point, anyway) the better player.

I agree with what you're saying for the most part. The early evidence has shown that Eichel is a perfect fit for our team.  We can only speculate over whether McDavid would have been the same.  

I'm just so happy at this point that we're not on the wrong side of the "what if" argument.

The brilliance of the job GMTM has done so far isn't that he had the courage to tank.  I think Darcy was already going down that road (and did a good job to get liquid assets in the form of draft picks for expiring assets/free agents).  But Darcy would have tried to build through the draft and waited until those assets matured I think.  So Jack would have gotten here and would have floundered in a sea of Zadorovs, Guhles and Reinharts:  Good young players, but not ready for the big time.

GMTM took those carefully assembled assets and went on a buying spree.  He drafted two centers but acquired ROR (replacing a developing Grigo with a mature center).  He brought in plenty of depth of various levels of experience (steady veterans at the end of their careers, up-and-comers that will be a continuing part of the new core, rent-a-players to play short term roles until the good young players mature, etc.)  So when Jack got here, he wasn't the savior who was going to do it all (the Darcy model, not unlike the Edmonton model); his position is more being one a complementary piece that makes a good team much, much better.  So the team Jack got dropped into is much, much further along, personnel-wise, than Edmonton which has a bunch of high, but unrefined, 1st-line offensive players instead of a team built as an entire team.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.