Roster review: #12 Brian Gionta

dudacek

Brian Gionta  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you see Brian Gionta fitting in this year?

• A Dan Bylsma favourite who plays in all situations
    • A leader and a regular skater in the top-nine
    • A bottom-six guy who helps in the room more than on the ice
    • A bit player by the end of the year as he starts to break down and is surpassed by younger guys

Next up in our continuing discussion, the man with the C.

post-2708-0-01219700-1438619407_thumb.jpg

#12 Brian Gionta RW (two years left at $$4.3 million per, age 36)

Buffalo 65/13/22/35/-13/18

A western New York native who overcame serious doubt about his stature to win a Stanley Cup and captain the legendary Montreal Canadiens, Brian Gionta should be a figure of love and respect in Buffalo. The love affair hasn’t exactly ignited yet. That happens when you are appointed as the face of one of the worst teams in Sabres’ franchise history.

His role in Buffalo was defined very clearly on the day of his signing by GM Tim Murray: "He's heart and soul. He plays to the most of his ability and the most of an effort level every shift. He blocks shots, he's the type of player that can wear a letter, he's definitely part of the leadership group. He brings a lot of intangibles."

It may surprise some fans to discover Gionta also brought offence, at least relatively speaking. Statistically, he was a solid second-liner. Despite an injury, he finished 40th among NHL right wings in scoring last year. His points-per-game pace was similar to that of Justin Williams. After a very slow start in Buffalo, he caught fire after returning from injury, piling up 16 points in 19 games down the stretch. Focused on the tank, most fans responded with mild annoyance if they noticed at all.

Gionta enters the season low on the radar even though he played in all situations last year. Despite his role as captain and one of the team leaders in ice time, many seem to pencil him in as a 3rd or even 4th-liner. It will be interesting to see how he is used by the coaching staff and how he relates to players like Kane, Eichel and O’Reilly.

Links to the rest of the series:

Edited by dudacek

He is still the Captain that the Sabres need at this point.

I like him and he is still a top 9 guy on this team for this season.

Very possibly he will not be around for the third year of his contract, but I think it is possible depending how the young ones develop this year.

I doubt he gets surpassed by younger players this year already, Baptiste and Bailey are still a season away in doing so.  

Bottom 6 forward only though, #2 RW is to optimistic for me.

That's a good point. Gionta is the only natural RW we have on the roster at the moment, the guys that are on their way here at that position aren't here yet. I think Gionta slots in well behind Ennis and Girgensons on the right side. I think with some quality line-mates he can perform closer to the level he was playing at near the end of last season.

I thought Gionta was terrible in the first two months of the season and excellent down the stretch.

I was surprised the dressing room didn't implode last year. I think Nolan deserves credit for that, but some of the praise also has to go to the captain. I'm glad he's on the team.

• 3 weeks later...

That's a good point. Gionta is the only natural RW we have on the roster at the moment, the guys that are on their way here at that position aren't here yet. I think Gionta slots in well behind Ennis and Girgensons on the right side. I think with some quality line-mates he can perform closer to the level he was playing at near the end of last season.

what about Cy Hsgn? 

oh wait nm  :beer:

I thought Gionta was terrible in the first two months of the season and excellent down the stretch.

I was surprised the dressing room didn't implode last year. I think Nolan deserves credit for that, but some of the praise also has to go to the captain. I'm glad he's on the team.

Agreed. I also think you see the type of players that now inhabit that locker room.  Zemgus, Risto, Gionta, Bogosian, Weber, etc... these guys aren't the types to implode. They battle.  Rasmus had a terrible start to the season but he kept pushing through. I think the fragile sabres died... long slow death but Tim Murray killed them. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.