NHL Scoring or Lack Thereof.

LGR4GM

There had been a lockout and they wanted to win back the fans?

Was that it/all?

*Sigh*

Well, the video at least made me feel better about the NHL's brand of hockey.

I actually just buried my forehead into my left forearm.  Not your fault.

Post the article that rehashes everything Taro and DeLuca have been saying since before d4rk could grow facial hair. Go ahead...

read this whole thread and the only thing I took away from it was that there actually was a time d4rk couldn't grow facial hair?! Inconceivable!

Someone on the NHL reddit worked out that potentially the cause for lower top point getters in the league is not due to a lack of scoring but the slowly leveling of TOI between all 4 lines.Think about it, Lines 3 sometimes and 4 were at one time almost completely grinders, All the scoring was top heavy, now rather than a few guys carrying the whole team the whole team chips in.

Someone on the NHL reddit worked out that potentially the cause for lower top point getters in the league is not due to a lack of scoring but the slowly leveling of TOI between all 4 lines.Think about it, Lines 3 sometimes and 4 were at one time almost completely grinders, All the scoring was top heavy, now rather than a few guys carrying the whole team the whole team chips in.

No. the last four games are in the range of the late 90s and just a touch higher than the early 2000s. Before 1997-98, you have to go back to 1956-57 to find a lower goals per game average. 

http://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/stats.html

EDIT: I wish SV% went back further (and wasn't as flawed), it's been pretty steadily rising since the 80s when the number starts. Also, power play opportunities are the lowest recorded number (going back to 1962). The answer is clear: call the penalties on the ice.

Edited by MattPie

The current trend in hockey is indeed a concern, at least for me.

Wondering who will get lucky when a shot bounces off someone's shin guard in a scrum in front of and into the net is not really very interesting.  At least for me.  And most of N. America by the way.  

Rather than make fun of a goalie's size or fitness level in the 1980s, look at the EQUIPMENT worn by these guys now.  It's absurd.

So are these modern composite sticks.  They should be made illegal.  It's Mickey Mouse to allow high tech sticks; ML baseball was smart enough NOT to allow that crap with a bat a long time ago.  The same thing has ruined men's tennis.

Go back to wood, go back to modest goalie equipment, and make the nets a few inches larger to allow for huge goalies in the modern era.  All these things are needed post haste.  Unless the NHL wants to continue to be out-viewed by PBA bowling.

I guess that's their call.

The current trend in hockey is indeed a concern, at least for me.

Wondering who will get lucky when a shot bounces off someone's shin guard in a scrum in front of and into the net is not really very interesting.  At least for me.  And most of N. America by the way.  

Rather than make fun of a goalie's size or fitness level in the 1980s, look at the EQUIPMENT worn by these guys now.  It's absurd.

So are these modern composite sticks.  They should be made illegal.  It's Mickey Mouse to allow high tech sticks; ML baseball was smart enough NOT to allow that crap with a bat a long time ago.  The same thing has ruined men's tennis.

Go back to wood, go back to modest goalie equipment, and make the nets a few inches larger to allow for huge goalies in the modern era.  All these things are needed post haste.  Unless the NHL wants to continue to be out-viewed by PBA bowling.

I guess that's their call.

Aside from increasing the goal size, I have to agree

They need to increase the size of the net and enforce the rules like interference that are already on the books if they want scoring to increase. Goalies are getting bigger and so are their pads, yet the net has stayed the same size. You can't shrink people and trying to shrink goalie pads will be blocked by safety concerns which leaves increasing the size of the net and forcing the referees to call the game differently.

We are either talking about different things or you missed the first post.  The real relevant part of that article is maybe this:

"What’s obvious is scoring is way down, and it’s not coming back without substantial change. If you pull out the 16 empty netters in the 46 games played in Round 1, you’re left with only 4.7 goals per game, one of the lowest rates in league history. (The last regular season with scoring that low was in the 1930s.)

What that’s doing is creating situations like the one in Ottawa on Sunday, where a fluky goal against and a blown goal call decided an elimination game because that’s all the scoring there was."

Are you also pulling out the empty netter from the ones you are comparing it to? If not, that's pretty stupid.

Has the hockey really been that bad. I've been really enjoying these playoffs and am having a hard time trying to figure out what everyone is complaining about. Scoring goes up, scoring goes down. That's just the way it is. I don't want some knee-jerk reaction because people are crying about not hearing the goal horn enough this season.

I don't want bigger nets.

I think that the regular season scoring was actually slightly higher than any of the last four seasons, by a hundredth place or so in gpg, which were all obviously lower than post-lockout. The issue with the Art Ross being so low has more to do with spread out scoring and the trend of 3rd and 4th lines getting better at hockey and thus getting more ice time.

These playoffs do show how much of an effect not calling interference can have. Though they aren't great about it in the regular season, there are clearly flagrant interferences regularly occurring in these playoff games that wouldn't be ignored from October to April. When they stopped calling it, the goals shot down, and though we knew that's how it worked it's interesting to see it in action and confirmed.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.