GDT: The Lottery (Eichel is OURS)

Johnny DangerFace

Well, I'm pretty sure he didn't mean "I'm disappointed for the fans" when he said weeks ago that he can't stop looking at McDavid when he watches him play. I can see how it makes perfect sense for you to just throw random quotes out there and insist they all mean the same thing. You know, for someone making so much fun of Murray's infatuation with McDavid, you sure seem like a jilted prom date since learning we won't be drafting him.

GO SABRES!!!

Okay.

So, GMTM learns of the lottery results, tells someone "I'm disappointed for our fans."

What do you think it ACTUALLY means? He's disappointed for Sabres fans that McDavid is going to the other conference?

At the Frozen Four final, retired BU coach Jack Parker, who recruited Eichel said it was a bit unfair to the kid but compared his playing style to Mario Lemieux.

I've heard others make that comparison. I think it's a combination of his long skating strides, which make him deceptively fast (he's at full speed in two strides) and his longer hockey stick which conjures up images of Lemieux. 

GO SABRES!!!

There's no context to make "The fans should be disappointed" a smart thing to say. The Sabres did everything they could to suck this year so that they could finish 30th and be in this exact position -- even if it meant making their fans completely miserable a second year in a row.

Putting a cherry on that with "The fans should be disappointed" is just a wildly idiotic thing to say. And, BTW, there was an 80% chance he was going to have to give remarks on this outcome. And this is what he came up with??? All he had to do was spend 10 minutes this afternoon thinking of a good way to express that the fans and Eichel should all be excited about the future regardless of the Sabres not winning the lottery today.

Do yourself a favor and go find the full quote, in context, and post it in full, k?

Do we need to start mis-quoting or making up quotes from you, too?

here is the presser

http://media.wgr550.com/a/104280595/4-18-tim-murray.htm

You can search for words within it and I can't find anywhere, where Tim Murray says the word fan or fans.  I will keep looking but idk what the context is.

I posted earlier GMTM is disappointed that the Sabres fans won't have a chance to see the best player in the draft on the worst team in the league because of the lottery system. He mentioned how we're in a rebuild process and as the worst team he'd like have seen us get the best player to help this team but we won't get a chance. He mentioned that if you could trade for the best defenseman or second best defenseman in the league all things being equal you'd want the best. 

Okay.

So, GMTM learns of the lottery results, tells someone "I'm disappointed for our fans."

What do you think it ACTUALLY means? He's disappointed for Sabres fans that McDavid is going to the other conference?

We don't know because we have no context.  It isn't in the presser or I am missing it.  

There's no context to make "The fans should be disappointed" a smart thing to say.  The Sabres did everything they could to suck this year so that they could finish 30th and be in this exact position -- even if it meant making their fans completely miserable a second year in a row.

Putting a cherry on that with "The fans should be disappointed" is just a wildly idiotic thing to say.  And, BTW, there was an 80% chance he was going to have to give remarks on this outcome.  And this is what he came up with???  All he had to do was spend 10 minutes this afternoon thinking of a good way to express that the fans and Eichel should all be excited about the future regardless of the Sabres not winning the lottery today.

At this point, there's nothing to suggest that Murray made this remark at all. 

GO SABRES!!!

I posted earlier GMTM is disappointed that the Sabres fans won't have a chance to see the best player in the draft on the worst team in the league because of the lottery system. He mentioned how we're in a rebuild process and as the worst team he'd like have seen us get the best player to help this team but we won't get a chance. He mentioned that if you could trade for the best defenseman or second best defenseman in the league all things being equal you'd want the best. 

Okay, that is some more context but where and when did he say this?

Okay. I'm disappointed.

It's okay. It's understandable, you wanted McDavid. But, if you take the time to learn about Eichel, you may appreciate his game and how it will fit in with what the Sabres are doing.

Okay.

Tells who? 

And again, there is no context at all. None. Regardless of your seemingly agenda driven need to link it to the lottery results. 

I'm done with you until you can provide relevant information. In the meantime, we all get you are disappointed for the fans in the meantime. 

GO SABRES!!!

My problem with that is everyone is quoting that one guy.  Part of his quote comes from the press conference and I can find it.  Murray talks about how you would want the best player.  After that he does not say "I'm disappointed for our fans"  unless wgr edited the presser which doesn't seem like they did

Tells who?

And again, there is no context at all. None. Regardless of your seemingly agenda driven need to link it to the lottery results.

I'm done with you until you can provide relevant information. In the meantime, we all get you are disappointed for the fans in the meantime.

GO SABRES!!!

Go easy, man, I think he's 14 or 15.

My problem with that is everyone is quoting that one guy. Part of his quote comes from the press conference and I can find it. Murray talks about how you would want the best player. After that he does not say "I'm disappointed for our fans" unless wgr edited the presser which doesn't seem like they did

Puck Daddy is generally reliable. Are you suggesting that this quote was never uttered to anyone?

Well now, you really do have some respect for the process. I'm impressed with your dogged determination not to keep making an ass of yourself. Well done. 

I'm even less worried about the comment now that I've seen the context of the remark. 

GO SABRES!!!

Okay, that is some more context but where and when did he say this?

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/second-coming-sabres-fall-to-no-2-in-draft-eichel-on-teams-radar-20150418

“If you can pick 1 or 2, you’re going to choose 1,” Murray told reporters in the Ritz-Carlton Hotel after the lottery draw was held next door in the Sportsnet studios. “If you’re going to make a trade and they offer you the best defenseman in the league or the second-best defenseman in the league, you’re going to want the best. Anytime you can get 1 vs. 2 in any walk of life, you’re going to want No. 1. But we came up here with an expectation we’d probably be picking No. 2 and we’re going to deal with it. There’s no issue there.”

Puck Daddy is generally reliable. Are you suggesting that this quote was never uttered to anyone?

I'm suggesting it was uttered by Tim Murray during his post draft lottery press conference.  I don't know where or when it was uttered and that bothers me.  I checked the original posters twitter and he is a columnist for Toronto Sun.  The quote he has directly after the disappointment quote came from the press conference.  Could he have asked Murray a question off the record and gotten that response, sure. Right now I don't where that quote actually comes from or what was the question or context surrounding it.  

If I had to infer, Tim Murray hates the draft lottery.  If he was saying that quote in regards to Edm getting another 1st and being disappointed for fans than that makes perfect sense.  Without context I can create any narrative I want.  

Yea and the goal of the tank was to get mcdavid, i got it.  

Be excited for Eichel, there is no reason not to  :beer:

The goal of the tank was to get either McDavid or Eichel. There would have been little tanking if there were not two players that were head and shoulders above the rest in the draft. What team is going to tank for a 1 in 5 chance to get the best player with the alternative of getting someone who might play on the first line? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.