What if Eichel Decides to Return to BU Next Year?

Dave Dryden

So, is this issue resolved? I wasn't worried about it at all at first, but...Toews stayed in school after being picked 3rd, and JVR stayed two more seasons after being selected 2nd. He's a Boston kid playing in Boston, and the money at 925k/year doesn't exactly scream "come play in the NHL"

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/future-sabre-draft-pick-jack-eichel-has-a-decision-to-make-20150419

I think I'd lose it if we did all this for Eichel and then had to wait through another season of to watch him play. It would probably kill his development too.

Edited by WildCard

So, is this issue resolved? I wasn't worried about it at all at first, but...Toews stayed in school after being picked 3rd, and JVR stayed two more seasons after being selected 2nd. He's a Boston kid playing in Boston, and the money at 925k/year doesn't exactly scream "come play in the NHL"

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/future-sabre-draft-pick-jack-eichel-has-a-decision-to-make-20150419

I think I'd lose it if we did all this for Eichel and then had to wait through another season of ###### to watch him play. It would probably kill his development too.

He's not staying in school.  But, as this is Buffalo, feel free to worry about it anyway. :p

(It's not the base rookie salary he loses by staying an extra year; it's a year in his late RFA/ early UFA stage that goes bye-bye.  $5MM is a lot of scratch to pass up to get your name carved on a trophy a 2nd time. ;))

I think I'd lose it if we did all this for Eichel and then had to wait through another season of ###### to watch him play. It would probably kill his development too.

Plus he can have bonuses that take him up to like $3.5 a year. We could set those bonuses reasonably low ;)

Plus he can have bonuses that take him up to like $3.5 a year. We could set those bonuses reasonably low ;)

The bonuses are spelled out by the CBA. But every single one he's eligible for is going to be in it.

His contract is the easiest to negotiate ever. What's the max $'s and max bonuses the CBA allows? Right here Jack and sign there. ;)

Jack Eichel is not staying in school, he will turn pro this summer.

The guy is an elite athlete and an elite competitor. People like that want to be on the big stage and prove themselves against the best.

Does anyone really think a few off-handed remarks by Tim Murray sway Eichel in the least ? If you do, you don't know how elite competitors think.

Jack Eichel can't wait to be in the NHL to prove he is the best !

I'd only be momentarily disappointed in having to wait, but I'd also be happy for the kid if that's what he decided to do. Must be nice to be that young and have those kind of options. 

Not that it means too much, but I found it interesting that they voted to give him an "A" on his sweater for next year. 

http://thehockeywriters.com/is-jack-eichel-returning-to-bu/

GO SABRES!!!

Edited by K-9

Compare their draft year numbers in the NCAA. Eichel has nothing left to learn there. Those guys weren't as ready for the NHL as he is now. :)

Damn, I was expecting a difference but that is huge. I knew Eichel was great, but his freshman stats make Toews and JVR look like child's play. Good observation

Compare their draft year numbers in the NCAA. Eichel has nothing left to learn there. Those guys weren't as ready for the NHL as he is now. :)

This is true and it reflects what the former coach at BU said the other day. If you're at a stage where you're gonna be riding buses in the minors then go back to school. If you're NHL ready, there's not much to be gained by going back. To say Eichel is ready is an understatement. He'll arrive one of the strongest guys on the team at 18, so from a physical standpoint, he can take the pounding. 

GO SABRES!!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.