GDT Sabres at NYI 4-4-15 7PM MSG, GR 550

Brawndo

If someone told you that your boss thinks you're worthless and do a lousy job, would it motivate you to prove otherwise. These guys are professional athletes with a ton of pride. The players are pissed that they are part of the worst team in the league and do not want that stigma. They are embarrassed that the fans are jeering them, not cheering them. Nolan is the messenger and if they don't have a pin-up of Kim Pegula in the locker room, I would be surprised. I think it's more player pride with a Win One for the Gipper speech from Nolan on a regular basis. I think he is a motivator and not a x's and o's coach, and what I would like to see going forward is an x's and o's coach. You cannot win long-term with motivational speeches. It gets old and out-maneuvered.

I understand your point but disagree.  Players would not play this hard for a coach that checked out.  Nolan is all in (or at least has them fooled that he still is).

Kaleta can really skate.  He's another Paul Cyr (for us old folks) without the slap shot (and the hate for Ray Bourque).

This team, despite being bad, has come a long way with having good habits. They use their bodies to shield the puck better, they're a little more patient, they're going to the dirty areas. All the things we could never get the Jason Pominville Sabres to do.

I hate you.

I understand your point but disagree.  Players would not play this hard for a coach that checked out.  Nolan is all in (or at least has them fooled that he still is).

Kaleta can really skate.  He's another Paul Cyr (for us old folks) without the slap shot (and the hate for Ray Bourque).

I never said Nolan checked out. Nolan sees the writing on the wall and wants to do anything and everything to win. I think he is overly ambitious to obtain wins. Good for him for steering a sinking ship and motivating the crew to stay on board. I don't think he would be able to convince his team to play with this effort for a full season, and if they did, at the first sign of adversity, they could/would crumble like a house of cards.

This team, despite being bad, has come a long way with having good habits. They use their bodies to shield the puck better, they're a little more patient, they're going to the dirty areas. All the things we could never get the Jason Pominville Sabres to do.

Yeah, Pat Kaleta and Matt Ellis and Adam Mair and countless grinders never did that stuff then.  Come on.  The problem was too many grinders and no skill, not too much fanciness.

Edited by Eleven

Yeah, Pat Kaleta and Matt Ellis and Adam Mair and countless grinders never did that stuff then. Come on. The problem was too many grinders and no skill, not too much fanciness.

What? There was plenty of talent on this team over the years. They just couldn't play a complete game.

Yeah, Pat Kaleta and Matt Ellis and Adam Mair and countless grinders never did that stuff then.  Come on.  The problem was too many grinders and no skill, not too much fanciness.

No, it was the grinders had no skill and the skill guys didn't grind.

PP should be one of the areas the team focuses on in the off season.   Three straight years of sub par PP.

That's a great point. I used to think it was coaching and system. I was never impressed when Ruff had Kevin Adams in charge of the PP. But it never improved after that change, so I think it comes down to talent. Grinders can play 5v5 and PK. If you cannot quickly pass and find the holes, you are not going to create many chances on PP. A roster full of talent next year should help. Someone big in front, like Kane. A guy that can shoot, like Moulson. Players that can stick handle and create offense, like Ennis and McEichel or maybe Reinhart. And that leaves out Girgs and Grigs who just might fit in nicely.

Other things I am learning from the Isles broadcast:  If I ever am stuck* in a rave, Coors Light is the move.  It is an educational broadcast.  I might even learn the alphabet in Lon Gilandish before this is over.

*'Cause there's NFW I'm at a rave unless against my will.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.