2016 NHL Draft

Crusader1969

Common sense and reports out of Edmonton are that they would like to trade down in the draft.  Obviously they have a huge need at D and taking one of the D at that pick is likely a reach. 

Any interest in the Sabres trading up from 8 to 4 if the cost is say a 2nd and 3rd?  How much better would TM value Dubois/Tkchuck vs. Chychurn/Juolevi/Nylander?

Ya, if Murray is most interested in the D, he won't trade up. If he's debating trading up, it would be because he's weighing the merits of Tkachuk/Dubois over Nylander/Keller.

Getting Tkachuck would be an absolute boon, I feel like he would be the perfect LW compliment to Eichel for the next decade, their styles seem a perfect mesh. So I would absolutely move up if the cost was merely a second and a third. That would be peanuts, relatively. So it'll probably cost a bit more.

I would be very interested if there was a deal to be made.

really good write up on the OHL prospects available in this years draft:

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/

Thanks for this, I enjoyed the thorough write-up.  So many rankings have vastly different projections outside of the top 5 or 6 picks.  When TM was hired a big reason was due to his scouting ability.  The last 2 drafts were almost automatic picks.  This year is where TM can really prove his scouting worth in the first round.

really good write up on the OHL prospects available in this years draft:

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/

Starts with Cam Dineen... yes! He's my early 2nd round guy.

Also this quote perfectly sums up why I wouldn't take Juolevi at #8 if either of Sergachev or Chychrun are there "If I'm a team picking inside the lottery, I'm drafting the player who I believe has the highest upside. And that's why I've consistently had Juolevi ranked as the 3rd best d-prospect among the big 3"

Edited by LGR4GM

The more I read on Dineen the more I want him. I hope he is there at #38 but if I were Murray I would trade up to the late first or early second to snag him. 

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/junior-hockey/2016/4/26/11511016/2016-nhl-draft-prospect-profile-cam-dineen-north-bay-battalion-ohl-nj-rockets-ehl-yale-decommit

Cam Dineen, Mr. HSMP (High Speed Mental Processor)

Mr. HSMP:  I call Cam Dineen Mr. HSMP because he mentally processes and executes the game so fast and efficiently. The reason Rasmus Andersson (Calgary’s 2015 53rd overall selection) and Dineen were one and two in OHL defenseman scoring is not because they had the best physical skills."

Edited by LGR4GM

I've seen Dineen play a dozen times this year and I like him. He's a Brian Leetch light version. He doesn't wow you but at the end of the game he's had a hand in a lot of power play scoring. He's not big and tough but could be an NHL PP QB. Came in projected as a 3-4 D and was 1-2 by year end.

The more I read on Dineen the more I want him. I hope he is there at #38 but if I were Murray I would trade up to the late first or early second to snag him. 

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/junior-hockey/2016/4/26/11511016/2016-nhl-draft-prospect-profile-cam-dineen-north-bay-battalion-ohl-nj-rockets-ehl-yale-decommit

Nice write-up for sure, Dineen seems interesting. 

I'll give you credit, you've never waivered from this.  Seeing as he's going to the leafs I hope your right.  Don't think you are, but hope so.

Just remember at every international trouney, from now until retirement, Leaf fans will be forced to watch Matthews beat Canada so they will be self haters.  

Edited by LGR4GM

Just remember at every international trouney, from now until retirement, Leaf fans will be forced to watch Matthews beat Canada so they will be self haters.  

:lol:

With McDavid on our side, I just don't see that happening.....

Yep.  For the Sabres sake it would be a huge boost if he's back healthy.  For his own sake I almost hope he retires.  Scary stuff for sure.

He just needs a Mark Kelso style helmet or pillows...

TP10_Checkup_article.jpg

After doing A lot of reading and video work, Keller is my pick. I know he's mostly projected in the 10-12 range and isnt big but he has IT. Super smart like Reinhart and doesn't back down, as Nylander has been know to. He can play in college for two years, gain muscle weight and be ready when some of our current player's contracts expire. Here's what I'd also do this offseason:

NOT go after Stamkos - go after Vesey instead. Vesey is more the style we are building and another elite center (Stamkos) would be a good problem to have, but still a problem.

Trade for Nash - NYR need picks and cap relief, Eichel needs a natural scorer. His high contract is gone after two years

Top two lines: take 6 of these 7: Eichel O'Reilly Reinhart Kane Ennis Vesey Nash - pretty solid top 2

Bottom 6 - Larsson, gionta, foligno, Moulsen, somebody from above who doesn't make the top 6 (let's say Ennis), Bailey, Faeshing, etc..

goalie - resign Johnson - 2 years, 4.5m

Defense - sign Soupy, 2 years $9m, trade for shattenkirk - 2016 2nd round pick, 2017 1st rd pick (hopefully low??), Pysyk and Girgenson (if needed). I may be overpaying but shattenkirk is really good.

D- risto, shattenkirk, soupy, Bogo, mccabe, Franson, Nelson, gorges

That, my friends, is a team with depth and a playoff team.

After doing A lot of reading and video work, Keller is my pick. I know he's mostly projected in the 10-12 range and isnt big but he has IT. Super smart like Reinhart and doesn't back down, as Nylander has been know to. He can play in college for two years, gain muscle weight and be ready when some of our current player's contracts expire. Here's what I'd also do this offseason:

NOT go after Stamkos - go after Vesey instead. Vesey is more the style we are building and another elite center (Stamkos) would be a good problem to have, but still a problem.

Im finding that everyday Im changing my mind, maybe its just I can't make up my mind.

I have a real hard time ranking the 4 prospects who I hope the Sabres land - Sergachev, Chychrun, Keller or Nylander. Every time I research one, I come away impressed and hope the Sabres can get him.  I have about 10 games each of the 3 OHL players recorded and have read many scouting reports and I just cant seperate them. I only have Keller from the U18 tourney but everything written about him too is impressive.

I don't include Tkachuk or Dubois as those are the only 2 I will guarantee go before the Sabres draft.

all 4 have high end potential and should be key components when the Sabres become cup contenders.

I agree on the Stamkos point. It would be amazing for him to choose the Sabres over the Leafs initially but its just too much to pay for 1 player who will have huge health concerns. He may have been too expensive even if healthy for the Sabres considering that eventually Risto, Eichel and Reinhart will also have big paydays.

So it will suck to see Leafs fans celebrate the signing of Stamkos but just like the signing of Kessel, Phanuef, Clarkson - eventually they will regret it as well. Though (assuming he is healthy) it may be a couple of years before the contract once again hangs like an albatross. Just in time when they are ready to become good.

Vesey is the guy I really will be disappointed over if they dont sign him and he goes to the Leafs or Bruins.  I believe he fits in perfectly with what the Sabres are trying to build

Trade for Nash - NYR need picks and cap relief, Eichel needs a natural scorer. His high contract is gone after two years

Top two lines: take 6 of these 7: Eichel O'Reilly Reinhart Kane Ennis Vesey Nash - pretty solid top 2

Bottom 6 - Larsson, gionta, foligno, Moulsen, somebody from above who doesn't make the top 6 (let's say Ennis), Bailey, Faeshing, etc..

goalie - resign Johnson - 2 years, 4.5m

Defense - sign Soupy, 2 years $9m, trade for shattenkirk - 2016 2nd round pick, 2017 1st rd pick (hopefully low??), Pysyk and Girgenson (if needed). I may be overpaying but shattenkirk is really good.

D- risto, shattenkirk, soupy, Bogo, mccabe, Franson, Nelson, gorges

That, my friends, is a team with depth and a playoff team.

I'll like where you're going with this.... however.....

They can't "go after" Vesey.   He's NSH property.    If and when he becomes a FA, it will be his choice where he wants to sign.   I wouldn't make room for him in the meantime, I believe he's headed to TOR to play with Matthews... good for him, good luck with that.

Draft wise, Sergachev, Juolevi, McAvoy, or Chychrun.    

Nash?  No thanks.   Stamkos?  Yes please!   7yr/$62.5mil, Captain. 

I think Guhle makes the team, filling one of the top 6 spots.   Risto, Bogo, Guhle, McCabe....   and Gorges probably sticks around (I hope not).    Add one of Barrie, Vatanen, Lindholm, or Shattenkirk.   

Fashcing, Bailey, Rodrigues likely start in Roch.... Guhle would need to go back to juniors if he's not ready. 

Moulson will be given a chance, but if he shows no signs of life, I expect him to get moved out sooner than later, likely a buy out and released.

We can go after Vesey on 8/15 when he becomes a FA. Stamkos will get more than $9 per for 7 years. If you want him (and he wants to play in Buffalo which is certainly less than a sure thing) you're talking 7 $77m. For $11m a year you could get Vesey, Yandle (or comparable) and Soupy

Vesey was a 3rd round pick. He was a late bloomer. Keller is more like Larkin spends a year in NCAA and looks to cash in. I wouldn't worry.

That's good.

Best case scenario right now has to be what, trading with Edmonton for #4 to get Tkachuk or Dubois? Depending on what the trade costs I suppose. But it seems like a legitimate chance that they would trade it.

I think Tkachuk is my top choice given any realistic possibility, seems he'd be the perfect fit with Eichel.

Edited by Thorny

Give me Chychrun, Juolevi or Sergachev over Keller.  I like the prospect but, I prefer to build from the back forward.  Give me the best fit based on Murray and companies choice and go from there.  Stanley cups are built on the backs of D.  Ala Doughty, Seabrook, Keith, and even if you call him a stud Letang.  *The only way I take a forward is if Tkachuk fell.  I think Keller has a lot of upside, but I just don't trust that pick from my gut.

Edited by TheCerebral1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.