OT: The Theology Thread

I am Defecting

You are wrong, sir. Playing RJ is the ultimate trump card for any argument and all those who fail to recognize the divinity of RJ will suffer an eternity of torture in the firey pits of oblivion. Even though RJ is still not as awesome as the Flying Spaghetti monster due to his utter lack of beer volcanoes.

Also there's no tangible proof of Christ's divinity so Buddha has equal right to any divinity references for McDavid that Jesus has. They also mentioned McMuhammed in that very same post and you conveniently ignored him when he is said to have the same magical powers that Jesus does. That makes you an ethnocentrist, sir and I am apalled.

I'll drink to that.

We just disagree. You can blame Raptor Jesus if you want but it's just as likely that the real reason so many people read and don't post is because they are afraid that people will jump all over them. PA made a statement (whether he was serious or not) that some people may agree with (or at the very least weren't upset that McDavid won't be playing for a while) and the mob mentality and feigned outraged jumped all over him. I would think that would give more people hesitation to join than someone bringing up our scaley savior.

Consider the nature of this community, asking people who play or have played hockey to cheer and be happy about injuries, is a little like asking the police community to cheer the death of cops in other cities because it might lead to more policing resources at home.

Woo.

MattPie's Law: As a discussion on the internet grows longer, the probability of someone bringing Raptor Jesus into the discussion approaches 1. The person that brings Raptor Jesus into the discussion automatically loses credibility.

(I think RJ is hilarious, but it serves no good purpose unless we're actually discussing religion)

Also, someone lumped McBuddha into the McJesus etc. discussion, but Buddha wasn't a devine being, just a normal man. He died and was cremated and many temples in Asia claim to have a portion of the ashes. Just to drag this back somewhat on track.

Couldn't we argue that Jesus was just a normal man?

Consider the nature of this community, asking people who play or have played hockey to cheer and be happy about injuries, is a little like asking the police community to cheer the death of cops in other cities because it might lead to more policing resources at home.

Woo.

Maybe I don't remember all the specifics of the thread, but I wouldn't characterize it as PA lobbying anyone else to be happy about the injury. He expressed his happiness about it, a bunch of people got up in arms about it, and he defended his position about why he was happy about it. Then some brilliant fan of alcoholic beverages invoked the power of RJ and people got up in arms about that. I guess it's all about how you perceive it.

Drunkard, if you think I am religious then you missed my point entirely. Whatever. I seem to be the only one that had that particular opinion, so carry on.

I agreed, I just didn't say anything due to lack of interest in participating in that conversation in that thread. But yea, randomly tossing around religious stuff, especially with a certain presentation, doesn't improve this board at all.

"When morality is injected into the conversation where it is unwarranted, it is your duty to mock that morality by invoking my name and spreading the gospel of Raptor Jesus"

- RJ, 4:17

I think what I, and possibly others, are getting at is that here, in this place, we tend to want people to avoid, as best as possible, any "duty to mock". Not that we don't lovingly mock each other from time to time, but when that derision comes from a place other than that of respect. I get the sense that your invocations are not coming from that place.

Referencing Raptor Jesus seems like something I would have done in high school. What I mean by that is that I think it's really really stupid, and not funny. It brought nothing to the discussion. IMO.

FWIW someone coming into the thread and saying that Jesus wouldn't want us to be happy about injuries would have had about as much value (probably more, because there would be the element of respect Whiskey refers to, at least more so than what was present with RJ).

But no one did that.

I'm not sure if he even says that anymore.  I haven't noticed lately to be honest.

Living here in Texas though, there are a lot of people who speak with "regional colloquialisms" that are every bit as infuriating as our favorite color analyst.

Edited by The Big Johnson

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.