OT: The Theology Thread

I am Defecting

That is truly inspiring.

I don't mean any disrespect by this, but the Pope is a true muslim (take of the lower case m) in every sense of the word ... that words real meaning, as in one who submits his / her whole existence to the will of God.

That is truly inspiring.

I don't mean any disrespect by this, but the Pope is a true muslim (take of the lower case m) in every sense of the word ... that words real meaning, as in one who submits his / her whole existence to the will of God.

As a man who has given many religions a chance to win his heart, I've had a tough time understanding why the few differences in the underlying message between Islam and Christianity gets all the spotlight. They will both lead you to the same place IMO. This current Pope is a good man indeed.

• 1 month later...

[My comment applies only to effectiveness, not censorship.]

It's possible that offering intentional absurdity in an argument against beliefs as closely held as those involving faith shows a level of respect below that which is expected on this forum. Ergo, we may want to chastise those offering that level of disrespect. I don't think we, as a community, would be terribly far out of line in this criticism. At the same time, dropping in while casting the shadow of the law (as SDS did) may have a chilling effect that is even less desirable than the aforementioned maintenance of the proper modicum of respect.

Edited by Whiskey Bottle of Emotion

Is it an idea that deserves to be taken seriously? Affording it the respect of being thrown under the net of "religious beleifs" strikes me anti critical thinking. I'm not comfortable with it.

I have no problem with it in the context of a debate about religious beliefs.  My problem was with randomly posting this stuff out of context.   There is alot about religion in general that I find worthy of derision.  I guess I don't see the point of expressing it in a mixed community in the context of a hockey discussion.  It sullies the discussion.

Your mileage may vary.

Backing up a bit, I'll concede that it's not necessary here on this board.

The absurdity of somebody getting their PP slapped by two separate posters for dropping a raptor jesus joke in PA's troll-a-thon thread riled me up. I got trolled up and down the street by PA today.

Edited by qwksndmonster

I finally read through the rest of the McDavid injury thread and the thin skin of religious people never ceases to amaze me. It may be a hockey board but the influence of religion and people's morals were all over that thread way before I ever mentioned the all powerful scaley one, our lord and savior, RJ (Raptor Jesus not Rick Jeanerette). People were using their personal versions of morality to chastise PA left and right trying to assume some position of moral authority and claiming that he crossed some sort of line in celebrating his injury, so I decided to add my two cents and poke the bear.

Kudos to Whiskey and others for not leaving PA out to dry to face the self righteous morally superior horde alone though.

Edited by Drunkard

I finally read through the rest of the McDavid injury thread and the thin skin of religious people never ceases to amaze me. It may be a hockey board but the influence of religion and people's morals were all over that thread way before I ever mentioned the all powerful scaley one, our lord and savior, RJ (Raptor Jesus not Rick Jeanerette). People were using their personal versions of morality to chastise PA left and right trying to assume some position of moral authority and claiming that he crossed some sort of line in celebrating his injury, so I decided to add my two cents and poke the bear.

Kudos to Whiskey and others for not leaving PA out to dry to face the self righteous morally superior horde alone though.

the McDavid injury discussion is a good hockey discussion.

Raptor Jesus is not a good hockey discussion. It is a great discussion on community sensibilities.

But not a good hockey discussion.

Is your mind open to that?

the McDavid injury discussion is a good hockey discussion.

Raptor Jesus is not a good hockey discussion. It is a great discussion on community sensibilities.

But not a good hockey discussion.

Is your mind open to that?

I understand that, but a bunch of people claiming moral high ground and chastising PA for celebrating the injury of a player he chooses to root against while a bunch of other people pile on like self righteous do gooders isn't good hockey discussion either and if I feel like adding my two cents to defend PA or point out their nonsense I'll do it.

I understand that, but a bunch of people claiming moral high ground and chastising PA for celebrating the injury of a player he chooses to root against while a bunch of other people pile on like self righteous do gooders isn't good hockey discussion either and if I feel like adding my two cents to defend PA or point out their nonsense I'll do it.

PAs been around a while. He knew what he was doing.

PAs been around a while. He knew what he was doing.

I understand that and I know he doesn't need me to defend him, but I wasn't the one who turned it away from a hockey discussion to a discussion of morality, it was all the people wagging their finger at PA for what a horrible person he was. Just because my jokes rub some people the wrong way doesn't make me the culprit for dragging the discussion off topic. The reaction to his statements did it, whether it was feigned outrage or actual.

I understand that and I know he doesn't need me to defend him, but I wasn't the one who turned it away from a hockey discussion to a discussion of morality, it was all the people wagging their finger at PA for what a horrible person he was. Just because my jokes rub some people the wrong way doesn't make me the culprit for dragging the discussion off topic. The reaction to his statements did it, whether it was feigned outrage or actual.

Nobody was fixing blame. It was Just time to move away from the entropy the discussion provoked. It happens. That's not entirely on you or me. Mods work hard to keep it a lively hockey board. I have empathy for what they do.

Keep in mind hundreds of non-posters read our thoughts too. If they want to know Sabres fans thoughts on McDavid - raptor Jesus might be their very last click, and may never post which would be unfortunate, because that creates less plurality of opinions, not more. Especially on matters of hockey.

Nobody was fixing blame. It was Just time to move away from the entropy the discussion provoked. It happens. That's not entirely on you or me. Mods work hard to keep it a lively hockey board. I have empathy for what they do.

Keep in mind hundreds of non-posters read our thoughts too. If they want to know Sabres fans thoughts on McDavid - raptor Jesus might be their very last click, and may never post which would be unfortunate, because that creates less plurality of opinions, not more. Especially on matters of hockey.

We just disagree. You can blame Raptor Jesus if you want but it's just as likely that the real reason so many people read and don't post is because they are afraid that people will jump all over them. PA made a statement (whether he was serious or not) that some people may agree with (or at the very least weren't upset that McDavid won't be playing for a while) and the mob mentality and feigned outraged jumped all over him. I would think that would give more people hesitation to join than someone bringing up our scaley savior.

MattPie's Law: As a discussion on the internet grows longer, the probability of someone bringing Raptor Jesus into the discussion approaches 1. The person that brings Raptor Jesus into the discussion automatically loses credibility.

(I think RJ is hilarious, but it serves no good purpose unless we're actually discussing religion)

Also, someone lumped McBuddha into the McJesus etc. discussion, but Buddha wasn't a devine being, just a normal man. He died and was cremated and many temples in Asia claim to have a portion of the ashes. Just to drag this back somewhat on track.

MattPie's Law: As a discussion on the internet grows longer, the probability of someone bringing Raptor Jesus into the discussion approaches 1. The person that brings Raptor Jesus into the discussion automatically loses credibility.

(I think RJ is hilarious, but it serves no good purpose unless we're actually discussing religion)

Also, someone lumped McBuddha into the McJesus etc. discussion, but Buddha wasn't a devine being, just a normal man. He died and was cremated and many temples in Asia claim to have a portion of the ashes. Just to drag this back somewhat on track.

You are wrong, sir. Playing RJ is the ultimate trump card for any argument and all those who fail to recognize the divinity of RJ will suffer an eternity of torture in the firey pits of oblivion. Even though RJ is still not as awesome as the Flying Spaghetti monster due to his utter lack of beer volcanoes.

Also there's no tangible proof of Christ's divinity so Buddha has equal right to any divinity references for McDavid that Jesus has. They also mentioned McMuhammed in that very same post and you conveniently ignored him when he is said to have the same magical powers that Jesus does. That makes you an ethnocentrist, sir and I am apalled.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.