GDT Buffalo at Minnesota, 8PM EST MSG B Radio 930

Brawndo

A couple of streaks were broken last night:

1. We scored a first period goal for the first time in 14 games

2. We finally got a goal from a defensman having gone the entire season without one up until Risto's goal in the 1st

Since I'm "working from home" today (aka blatantly wasting time) I did a search. There are a ton of "CoHo is the least of our problems" posts over the past couple of years. In general, I think fans overvalue offensive numbers and overlook defensive play for forwards. Last year CoHo was scoring, so most gave him a pass.

Or, some might overvalue defensive play for forwards? Let me rephrase that, some might think that high scoring defensive forwards are a dime a dozen.

Some people realize it is simply impossible to load up on 6'4" 230# forwards that can put up 70 points. Some forwards are just meant to be scorers. Hodgson isn't bad, he just isn't meant to be on this team. He can only be as good as the players that surround him; this team is poor and most likely going to become the worst offensive team in 80 years. Hodgson cannot thrive on a team like this. Is that an excuse? No. His play has been poor. But people need to get over the fact that big, fast, and high scoring defensive forwards do not grow on trees.

Or, some might overvalue defensive play for forwards? Let me rephrase that, some might think that high scoring defensive forwards are a dime a dozen.

Some people realize it is simply impossible to load up on 6'4" 230# forwards that can put up 70 points. Some forwards are just meant to be scorers. Hodgson isn't bad, he just isn't meant to be on this team. He can only be as good as the players that surround him; this team is poor and most likely going to become the worst offensive team in 80 years. Hodgson cannot thrive on a team like this. Is that an excuse? No. His play has been poor. But people need to get over the fact that big, fast, and high scoring defensive forwards do not grow on trees.

I found a variant of this exact post when I was searching through old threads - you were a staunch supporter of CoHo then and still are! :)

I tend to agree. Put him on a good second line, where he belongs, and he'll do just fine.

Paul Hamilton has said that Nolan repeatly shows the players in practice where they should be, but then in games they panic and don't go where they were told to go. Some players are not disciplined enough to stick to the plan.

Hey.. thanks for that update. I don't always get to hear him comment on what is going on. I definitely think that some of the players are clueless. I'm still confused as to how they keep backing off on zone entries and also how they continually fail to cover the third man high. Oh well..

Good to know that Nolan is telling them what to do. Someday then... :)

Streaming Radio update (via TuneIn app): WGR stream played the Bills pregame and switched over to "Due to NFL Restrictions, this broadcast cannot be streamed to mobile device on the internet" on repeat. The WBEN stream played the Sabres pregame and started playing the game for awhile. At some point in the first, the WBEN stream also flipped to the NFL message mid-play and stayed that way every time I checked. I guess someone hit the wrong button. Amateurs. I tweeted to WGR, but as I was driving I didn't bother to follow up.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.