Chris Stewart

bob_sauve28

At the deadline we'll probably end up with a few more draft picks (and maybe a few dealt away to sweeten deals). I'd rather have a couple more draft picks than nothing.

But I do STRONGLY prefer players that already have names versus PTBNL (draft picks).

Great teams have a continuous stream of good players in development at different stages. GMTM isn't looking to shape a great team for the 2015 season, but for the next decade or two. That steady stream of players come from the draft and the more picks you have, the greater the chance of hitting the jackpot (considering the draft is a huge crap shoot). I'm not even adverse to trading Stewart for 2016 or even 2017 picks. I can't honestly say trading him for an actual player is going to net the type of player we need right now or next year. Our system is already packed with 2nd and 3rd liners.

Edited by kas23

Great teams have a continuous stream of good players in development at different stages. GMTM isn't looking to shape a great team for the 2015 season, but for the next decade or two. That steady stream of players come from the draft and the more picks you have, the greater the chance of hitting the jackpot (considering the draft is a huge crap shoot). I'm not even adverse to trading Stewart for 2016 or even 2017 picks. I can't honestly say trading him for an actual player is going to net the type of player we need right now or next year. Our system is already packed with 2nd and 3rd liners.

Trade Stewart to the Bruins and he's a 1st liner. The expectations are unreal.

The Sabres cannot be on some sort of hamster wheel where they run, run, run, and get nowhere. Eventually, they need players. Hockey players, and NHL-ready players, to be more specific. They cannot keep trading players for picks.

What the hell is the problem with matching a $4 mil deal for him? Are we worried about the cap? So what if he tanks later...no more fecking draft picks!

We know Stewart's limit. He's Milan Lucic's brain with Cody McCormick's hands. Wouldn't you rather spend that $4M on someone else?

The Sabres cannot be on some sort of hamster wheel where they run, run, run, and get nowhere. Eventually, they need players. Hockey players, and NHL-ready players, to be more specific. They cannot keep trading players for picks.

I understand that getting young players back will accelerate our rebuild, but teams are much less likely to part with them than draft picks. We all would like to think the Sabres have these great players who will net us stuff in return, but if they were so great, why are we on pace to shatter the single season shutout record by a mile?

I understand that getting young players back will accelerate our rebuild, but teams are much less likely to part with them than draft picks. We all would like to think the Sabres have these great players who will net us stuff in return, but if they were so great, why are we on pace to shatter the single season shutout record by a mile?

Please allow me to clarify: I do not think Chris Stewart is great, by any means. I think he's a middling player who, if teamed with the greatest players in the game, might net 60 pts and 150 PIMs. And that's with the GREATEST players. Like Crosby greatest. That said, I would rather let his contract expire than have Murray continue the trend of trading players for draft picks. If a team wants him, it can give up a seasoned prospect. Otherwise, it can piss off.

Sorry this is just wrong. He's scored 15+ goals in 50 games or less twice. He'll pot you 20 easy if he stays healthy.

See above. Lucic's brain scores too, you know!

Edited by Eleven

I agree we need players but how many teams are going to send us a decent player that is young and on the upswing especially the wat the guys are currently performing. I'm guessing Murray wants the core of this team the last two drafts and this one coming up with a sprinkle of veterans for leadership until the kids are ready to resume that role. Like others said u can't move every decent player for picks because we need players now not 3-5 years. I do expect Stafford, Stewart, Mezaros, and possibly Benoit could be moved by the deadline. Out of all my years watching the Sabres I thought last year was bad but this team is much worse.

Please allow me to clarify: I do not think Chris Stewart is great, by any means. I think he's a middling player who, if teamed with the greatest players in the game, might net 60 pts and 150 PIMs. And that's with the GREATEST players. Like Crosby greatest. That said, I would rather let his contract expire than have Murray continue the trend of trading players for draft picks. If a team wants him, it can give up a seasoned prospect. Otherwise, it can piss off.

See above. Lucic's brain scores too, you know!

I don't think Murray lets his contract expire and let's him walk for nothing. I agree we need players but it might be better to throw him in on a trade for a seasoned prospect

I don't think Murray lets his contract expire and let's him walk for nothing. I agree we need players but it might be better to throw him in on a trade for a seasoned prospect

Seasoned prospect is fine by me. And when you're in this forum, young man, you'll watch your apostrophes. (That's for you, biodork.)

Edited by Eleven

I hope they re-sign him. He went toe to toe with Lucic just because he could. More of that please.

Yup. That made me a fan right there. Plus, he's been playing very well and quite intelligently. Stewart and Girgensons are a couple bright spots in the current line up.

We have not had a player on this team that had the mindset to go into a game with Boston and think "I;m not scoring so I am going to find the biggest, toughest player on the team and take a shot at him" since, well, I don't remember the last time we had one of those. He's welcome on my team until we are ready to gear up for the big run.

We have not had a player on this team that had the mindset to go into a game with Boston and think "I;m not scoring so I am going to find the biggest, toughest player on the team and take a shot at him" since, well, I don't remember the last time we had one of those. He's welcome on my team until we are ready to gear up for the big run.

At $4M he isn't.

Edited by Eleven

The roster has only so many spots. there is going to be a 4M middling player if they are making the floor.

Fair point, but there will be other guys coming in via FA. It won't be Stewart. Murray won't pay him that.

That player's name rhymes with Brew Hatford.

Don't you dare. Don't even ###### think about it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.