#44 overall - Eric Cornel

LGR4GM

I was just commenting on the lack of meaning from the scrimmage itself.....you can't say a guy doesn't have it after 60 minutes, but, I can see where a guy has all the tools to have it, and Cornel was the only one that had me gaga at the potential.

I really think people need to calm down with the projections. I'd put $$ down all day Boston finishes ahead of them. Buffalo is projected to draft #3 right now.... 

http://www.oddschecker.com/ice-hockey/nhl/stanley-cup/winner

Wouldn't put money down they'll be better than the B's, but do expect it. (Thus the reason for saying they "are likely better than Boston" rather than they ARE better than Boston. ;)) Don't see Chara bouncing back.

Where's the fun in not making projections in the off season?

Wouldn't put money down they'll be better than the B's, but do expect it. (Thus the reason for saying they "are likely better than Boston" rather than they ARE better than Boston. ;)) Don't see Chara bouncing back.

Where's the fun in not making projections in the off season?

It was pretty funny watching people make fun of Boston here. They have the Sabres crushed in net, a decent edge on D, edge at center, and their wings are about equal.

It's fine to get excited about your team, but i've noticed as the years go on, this town knows less and less about what happens outside of the Buffalo Bubble. I'm sure not being relevant has a lot to do with it so people don't pay as much attention, but it's one thing to dream about what "could be" someday, and another to be honest about what probably "is", today. I think the fanbase is feeling good because the brainfreeze of eating Sabres Swirl Sundae has subsided. People are confusing the removal of pain with the feeling of actual pleasure. On a relative basis things are much better. That wasn't chocolate in there by the way.........

I also got a kick out of the Legwand trade. People calling it a favor and a salary dump for a guy who is and has been shot. He's 33 and was the #2 overall pick and has 600 points. The irony of in one breath calling him worthless, then in the next praising Eichel for 15 years of superstardom and fitting him for a HOF jacket is hysterical. I guess I just see the little ironies in life.......

I hope the Sabres can contend for a playoff spot. It's realistic to hope they can, but not expected.

I have no idea how you can say that. He IS Darryl Shannon. Except now he has a medical issue lingering over him.

I even like Shannon but Pysyk is going to surprise people. With the right forwards upfront he is going to put up major assists and be as steady on the backend as they come. He is a big reason they had no problem trading Zadorov. As far as the medical issue, people dehydrate and pass out for a lot of reasons. He was cleared after every test possible was done. Is there a chance some mystery illness will pop up again? Sure, but let's not over react just yet.

It was pretty funny watching people make fun of Boston here. They have the Sabres crushed in net, a decent edge on D, edge at center, and their wings are about equal.

It's fine to get excited about your team, but i've noticed as the years go on, this town knows less and less about what happens outside of the Buffalo Bubble. I'm sure not being relevant has a lot to do with it so people don't pay as much attention, but it's one thing to dream about what "could be" someday, and another to be honest about what probably "is", today. I think the fanbase is feeling good because the brainfreeze of eating Sabres Swirl Sundae has subsided. People are confusing the removal of pain with the feeling of actual pleasure. On a relative basis things are much better. That wasn't chocolate in there by the way.........

I also got a kick out of the Legwand trade. People calling it a favor and a salary dump for a guy who is and has been shot. He's 33 and was the #2 overall pick and has 600 points. The irony of in one breath calling him worthless, then in the next praising Eichel for 15 years of superstardom and fitting him for a HOF jacket is hysterical. I guess I just see the little ironies in life.......

I hope the Sabres can contend for a playoff spot. It's realistic to hope they can, but not expected.

The B's absolutely have to be considered to have the better goalie. The losses the past 2 years on D of Boychuk & Hamilton is huge & Chara will be 39 by season's end. Even w/out another piece, I'd give the Sabres the edge. 1st 1/2 of the year, I'd give the B's the edge at C & maybe on wing. By the end of the year, I'd expect Buffalo's C's to be as strong or better and would call W a wash at worst.

Early season, B's are better. By season's end, I expect Sabres are. Who's better? Depends when that transition hits, but my b&g glasses say Sabres.

And especially barring further moves, the last sentence is correct. Have a suspicion though, there's still a move or 2 to be made.

I'll put money on Chara being a major part of someone's Cup drive. It may not be Boston's (hopefully), but there is no way he is done yet.

The way you're talking about him makes Chara sound like a goaltender.  I don't think he's going to be able to find a magic second wind that will allow him to play well.  His skating is the biggest issue, and that's only going to get worse.

Edited by qwksndmonster

I'll put money on Chara being a major part of someone's Cup drive. It may not be Boston's (hopefully), but there is no way he is done yet.

At 39 with a ton of really tough miles on his body, I have no problem at all believing he's lost a few steps. Think back a few years ago when they lost to Chicago, in large part because he couldn't handle their team speed.

Again.....it's all relative.

A house in East Amherst that needs a new roof isn't suddenly worth less than a house on the east side that got some stainless steel appliances and a fresh coat of paint......

If a house collapses under the weight of snow it doesn't much matter where it's located ;)

Again.....it's all relative.

A house in East Amherst that needs a new roof isn't suddenly worth less than a house on the east side that got some stainless steel appliances and a fresh coat of paint......

I like the analogy but the original post said he would play a major role in a Cup run and unless you think a 3rd or 4th defenseman can play a major role, it doesn't hold up. Like you said, he might be worth more then some of the Sabres "D" but he's a depreciating asset and worse, a liability if forced to play too pair minutes

I like the analogy but the original post said he would play a major role in a Cup run and unless you think a 3rd or 4th defenseman can play a major role, it doesn't hold up. Like you said, he might be worth more then some of the Sabres "D" but he's a depreciating asset and worse, a liability if forced to play too pair minutes

The first and second pairings play a major roll. He would most likely be on a PP unit, as well. Even with the fog of gin lifted this morning I still see it happening.

I'm talking Boston on a whole.....

Chara/Krug/Seidenberg/McQuaid

Bogosian/Ristolainen/Oduya/Gorges

I'm being a nice guy and throwing Oduya in there......and I'd still take each of Boston's 4 over the others for next year.

Bergeron/Krejci/Kelly/Talbot

ORiley/Eichel/Girgensons/Larsson

Next year.....Boston all the way....5 years from now?

Rask

Lehrner

Ummm....yeah.........

And Boston picked up 3 1st round picks in the process......

I'm willing to make a MAJOR bet Boston finishes ahead of the Sabres in the standings this year. Beyond money........a true humiliation or something of the sort.

I'm being a nice guy and throwing Oduya in there......and I'd still take each of Boston's 4 over the others for next year.

Rask

Lehrner

Ummm....yeah.........

I'm willing to make a MAJOR bet Boston finishes ahead of the Sabres in the standings this year. Beyond money........a true humiliation or something of the sort.

I will take the bet but double it up by adding that Buffalo will finish closer to the playoffs then a top five draft pick as you stated previously.

As for Boston itself, they made a horrible trade with Hamilton but have subsequently redeemed themselves with some other moves. However, there "D" will be a major problem long term.

Rask

Lehrner

Ummm....yeah.........

I would not take that bet.

I will take the bet but double it up by adding that Buffalo will finish closer to the playoffs then a top five draft pick as you stated previously.

As for Boston itself, they made a horrible trade with Hamilton but have subsequently redeemed themselves with some other moves. However, there "D" will be a major problem long term.

I stated, "Odds are", which means better than 50/50.

I am stating Boston will finish higher in the standings next year than Buffalo and am willing to make a CRAZY wager. I can't stand the gloating about a team that has a Cup and another trip there in the same timespan the Sabres won a total of 5 playoff games and have come off 2 of the worst seasons in NHL history.

I'd meet you half way on a separate wager with the Sabres. I say they are closer to last place than making the playoffs, so if they draft 8 or a lower pick. I'd do that for $100......I'd do Boston for $1000 of value in some meaningful creative wager.......

I think some here are jumping to conclusions about Chara awfully fast.  He got hurt last year and missed 19 games.  Before that, the highest number of games he missed in a season since 2005-06 was 5.  Even last year he averaged over 23 min per game.

He's one of the best defenseman in the NHL in the last 20 years.  I'm expecting a strong comeback year from him, and I'd take him on the Sabres in a heartbeat.

I am stating Boston will finish higher in the standings next year than Buffalo and am willing to make a CRAZY wager. I can't stand the gloating about a team that has a Cup and another trip there in the same timespan the Sabres won a total of 5 playoff games and have come off 2 of the worst seasons in NHL history.

I'd meet you half way on a separate wager with the Sabres. I say they are closer to last place than making the playoffs, so if they draft 8 or a lower pick. I'd do that for $100......I'd do Boston for $1000 of value in some meaningful creative wager.......

I will take the $100 bet and I will go $1000 for something' you think works. I trust you to come up with something that works. Maybe we can do $50 for every point the Bruins finish above the Sabres versus $100 for every point Buffalo finishes ahead of the Bruins or some variation? Cash, dinner or charity.

I'd meet you half way on a separate wager with the Sabres. I say they are closer to last place than making the playoffs, so if they draft 8 or a lower pick. I'd do that for $100......I'd do Boston for $1000 of value in some meaningful creative wager.......

Why?  I will gladly talk ###### about them freely.  

And you've pointed out that Boston will have a better year than us next year.  You're probably right but when it comes to which franchise would I rather be in the position of?  It's the Sabres every time.  Two young centers to build around, and another talented center signed for 8 seasons.

The Bruins' star is fading, while the Sabres star is just about to start waxing.  It's to be expected for Sabres fans to enjoy the changing of the guard.

Where is this air of respect when talking about Boston coming from?  Who cares about those losers?

Boys:  $1000 is awfully rich for this kind of thing.  Let's take it down a notch.

That's why I want to do a "humiliation" bet.

It's tough with Webster.....I could think of some fair trades with a few different posters, but this is tough.

I'm thinking like.....i win, i get to take over Ted Black's Twitter for an hour......i lose, I have to wash all the Battista family cars, floors, and pets......

Can you guys go post in the nonsense thread instead of the cornel thread, cool  :P

I know....it's like when terrorists can openly plot an attack from around the world by meeting up on some podunk foodie website and chatter in a thread about rhubarb pie.

"Aw...sir.....we figured if there was a threat, it would be coming out of the Eichel thread"....................

I'd meet you half way on a separate wager with the Sabres. I say they are closer to last place than making the playoffs, so if they draft 8 or a lower pick. I'd do that for $100......I'd do Boston for $1000 of value in some meaningful creative wager.......

In addition to what Qwk said, what good is being a sports fan if you can't bring yourself to talk about your favorite team's hated rival?

In addition to what Qwk said, what good is being a sports fan if you can't bring yourself to talk ###### about your favorite team's hated rival?

What is good.....is being able to respect, support, truly believe in, and discuss honestly said object.

If your 11 year old daughter is in a softball league and she has improved over the past year......and her team is coming off a 4-22 season, yet the champions of the league from a few years ago fell from 22-4 to 17-9......you don't fire Russian semi-automatics into the air in celebration.....you focus on what you need to do and encourage her that the other team can be beat, but everyone needs to work 100% all of the time.

Odds are your daughter's team will be 10-16 and the rival will be 18-8 this year. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.