Official 2015 NHL Draft Thread

LGR4GM

Colin White could go #21 and I wouldn't really bat an eye at it. I like Boeser better but White is a really solid center from all accounts.  He will probably go to college for at least 2 years before making the jump. He is in some ways comparable to JT Compher although he lacks Compher's pestering ways and is more of a straight forward type of player.  Judging from the little I have seen and all I have read, White is a solid player.  Most reports mention how good White is at taking draws.  Again, there would be other players with more risk but higher upside you could take but if I had to guess White will be an NHL player.  The question is will he be a 2nd line player or a borderline 3rd liner. 

last years Hockey News 2014 Draft issue had an early mock of the 2015 draft and had White at #5. Didn't follow him all that close but I believe he may have had some injuries that may have contributed to his falling draft ranking. I think you could argue with the same thing with Zacha whom I hope the Sabres move up to draft.

I don't really care where they go with their later picks, and I don't understand how we can hope they go for a certain position. I have my favorites in that range, but I think it's BPA according to the Sabres boards regardless of position. Most of these kids won't be playing for 3-4 years.

Yeah, I don't mean pass on a better player to take a D-man, I just know we need to add a few into the system.

It's three or four years from now I am concerned with on the blueline.

When I look at the ranked players around 21, I like a couple defenders better than the forwards there.

But if a Konecny or a Boeser falls to us, I would be more than happy to ###### one up.

Edit: Ah yes, that horrible sn-at-ch word.

Edited by dudacek

I don't really care where they go with their later picks, and I don't understand how we can hope they go for a certain position. I have my favorites in that range, but I think it's BPA according to the Sabres boards regardless of position. Most of these kids won't be playing for 3-4 years.

BPA has to be the way they pick.  25% or less chance that they make it?  Maximize the chance that he actually makes it by going BPA.  Let the chips fall where they may position-wise.

BPA has to be the way they pick.  25% or less chance that they make it?  Maximize the chance that he actually makes it by going BPA.  Let the chips fall where they may position-wise.

I agree with this for the most part at least in theory, but as the draft goes on, if there is a D and a C on the board that are otherwise close, I can see the Sabres leaning D as their cupboard is more in need at that position, even if they won't reap any potential rewards from the pick for a few years.

I agree with this for the most part at least in theory, but as the draft goes on, if there is a D and a C on the board that are otherwise close, I can see the Sabres leaning D as their cupboard is more in need at that position, even if they won't reap any potential rewards from the pick for a few years.

I dont agree, you have your top 4 set for the next 10 years. you can always find guys to fill the bottom pair. Roll the dice with a high skill guy like Sprong, Bracco, White or Svechnikov. 

If you really want to pick up another Dman you can always use pick 31.

Ideally id like for them to package 21 and 31 and move up in the draft to 11-14 range. Especially if a guy like Zacha slids due to his suspension/injury filled year he just had.

To get the Girgensons pick at 14 in 2012 the Sabres traded pick 21 and 42 to acquire it. could 21 and 31 get pick 11? There are so little draft day trades of picks I doubt it will happen.

Edited by Crusader1969

I dont agree, you have your top 4 set for the next 10 years. you can always find guys to fill the bottom pair. Roll the dice with a high skill guy like Sprong, Bracco, White or Svechnikov. 

Who are our top 4?  Because honestly I can only name 2 of them.  

Ideally id like for them to package 21 and 31 and move up in the draft to 11-14 range. Especially if a guy like Zacha slids due to his suspension/injury filled year he just had.

To get the Girgensons pick at 14 in 2012 the Sabres traded pick 21 and 42 to acquire it. could 21 and 31 get pick 11? There are so little draft day trades of picks I doubt it will happen.

I agree with this approach unconditionally.  I would like to see them move up to grab the most offensively explosive prospect they can, even if that player has warts in other areas (they all do ya know).  Patrick Kane learned defensive accountability (to a degree) but his scoring touch is God given.  I would prefer a natural winger, but pure goal scorer.  Otherwise I like Bittner and Boeser.  I think Bittner has a bit of the Getzlaf/Kessler nastiness to him.  If we stand pat I think there will be good d prospects at 31 and later.  I do not want to reach for a goalie before the Third round.  JMHO.

to me your top 4 for the next 10 years will be Risto, Zadorov, Pysyk and Bogosian. Is there any other team that would have 4 1st rounders in top 2 pairs? 

Zadorov is a question mark. Pysyk to some extent is also a question mark.  Bogosian gets injured at least once a season.  I want at least 1 more guy in the pipeline who could easily fill the top 4 role.  

I am nitpicking but 10years is also IMPO far to long to pencil these guys in.  Bogosian would be 35 at the end of that.  Considering the defensive depth outside of Pysyk is McCabe they are in desperate need to add something to the pipeline.  We have so many forwards fighting for spots at this point and going forward I think it is the perfect time to take a flyer on a really good defensive product.  

Take a look at our defensive depth.  It is almost gone. 

post-2716-0-89314800-1432734117_thumb.png

Someone upthread talked about the need to constantly cycle fresh players in.

If Pysyk, Bogosian, Ristolainen, Zadorov and McCabe hit their ceilings, the Sabres won't be able to keep one and maybe two of them because of the cap.

You are going to need cheap young talent cycling in behind them and right now we have only a couple longshot guys in Martin and Fiornetino.

Same is true up-front of course, but we've got prospect depth in Fasching, Carrier, Compher, Hurley, Bailey, Baptiste, Cornel and Karabacek up there.

Taking a Zboril right now is going to look really smart four years from now when he steps into that gaping hole left by Zadorov's big-money defection to Toronto.

Zadorov is a question mark. Pysyk to some extent is also a question mark.  Bogosian gets injured at least once a season.  I want at least 1 more guy in the pipeline who could easily fill the top 4 role.  

I am nitpicking but 10years is also IMPO far to long to pencil these guys in.  Bogosian would be 35 at the end of that.  Considering the defensive depth outside of Pysyk is McCabe they are in desperate need to add something to the pipeline.  We have so many forwards fighting for spots at this point and going forward I think it is the perfect time to take a flyer on a really good defensive product.  

attachicon.gifprospects_2015.PNG

Like top 6 forwards, top 4 defensemen only occasionally show up outside of the top half of the 1st round of the draft.  Picks 21, 31 etc. are for BPA, not some targeted position or player type.  You have to select the player most likely to impact at the NHL level, not select based on organizational depth.  The trade market fixes that if you are too deep in one spot.

attachicon.gifprospects_2015.PNG

I just think there are enough good prospects at D that you can pick one up at 31. Heck, Kylington may be there at 31 the way his stock is dropping.

This isn't scientific at all but if you look at the top Dmen in the league they are either:

1) Drafted top 10 - Doughty, Pietrangelo, Suter, Hedman Ekman-Larsson

or just as likely to be drafted in the 2nd round or later (Weber, Chara, Keith, Subban, Vlasic, Giordano) as they are to be drafted in mid to late 1st (Karlsson, McDonagh, Kronwall)

List taken from:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=729524

Im sure there could be arguments on others to be included or excluded.

Edited by Crusader1969

Like top 6 forwards, top 4 defensemen only occasionally show up outside of the top half of the 1st round of the draft.  Picks 21, 31 etc. are for BPA, not some targeted position or player type.  You have to select the player most likely to impact at the NHL level, not select based on organizational depth.  The trade market fixes that if you are too deep in one spot.

At 21 Zboril will be best player available. 

At 21 Zboril will be best player available. 

Just purchased the Future Considerations Draft Guide. Zboril is ranked at 21 - a portion of what they wrote about him

Strengths:

"Zboril is a silky smooth defender with an elite understanding of where the play is headed. Amazing feet and constantly makes high-end reads on the breakout"

Weakness: "A lack of consistency is the largest negative we can find with him as he can have a real impact one shift and then look like a total passenger the next five shifts."

Zacha is ranked at 15 and I would love to see the Sabres move up to grab him if he indeed falls this low.

Just purchased the Future Considerations Draft Guide. Zboril is ranked at 21 - a portion of what they wrote about him

Strengths:

"Zboril is a silky smooth defender with an elite understanding of where the play is headed. Amazing feet and constantly makes high-end reads on the breakout"

Weakness: "A lack of consistency is the largest negative we can find with him as he can have a real impact one shift and then look like a total passenger the next five shifts."

Zacha is ranked at 15 and I would love to see the Sabres move up to grab him if he indeed falls this low.

I would be okay trading up for Pavel. His main issue this season was discipline and durability but when he played by all accounts he was really good.

they also do a mock draft and they draft one of my top 3 guys;

With the 21st pick the Buffalo Sabres select from Charlottetown of the QMJHL, RW Daniel
Sprong.
DRAFT NEEDS: They need a true puck rushing defender, depth on the backend
and scoring on the wings.
NOTES: The Sabres add the top potential goal scoring winger in the draft, but
one who comes with a buyer beware warning tag attached.

note they have Zboril going 20th to the Wild.

•  

With the 21st pick the Buffalo Sabres select from Charlottetown of the QMJHL, RW Daniel
    Sprong.

I keep reading Sprong has some baggage.  But in all the write-ups, they never say what the baggage is.  Anybody know?  Is he a prima donna or did he kill a man?
Edited by DHawerchuk10

My impression is there may be some truth to the prima donna take.

What I read between the lines is that it has to do with his background of being an elite Dutch teenage hockey player and being put on a pedestal over there by his helicopter family, who brought him pampered and coddled over here at age 7, to push him into the NHL.

It doesn't play as well with hockey people as the humble eastern European who came over himself on his own at 15.

Edited by dudacek

My impression is there may be some truth to the prima donna take.

What I read between the lines is that it has to do with his background of being an elite Dutch teenage hockey player and being put on a pedestal over there by his helicopter family, who brought him pampered and coddled over here at age 7, to push him into the NHL.

It doesn't play as well with hockey people as the humble eastern European who came over himself on his own at 15.

He sounds kind of exciting. Plus the Sabres could dominate NHL jersey sales in the Netherlands like they already do in Latvia and did in Austria.

I was speaking generally, not saying that they needed to draft a D at 21. Even though, Zboril would probably be my first choice barring any trade up.

Someone upthread talked about the need to constantly cycle fresh players in.

If Pysyk, Bogosian, Ristolainen, Zadorov and McCabe hit their ceilings, the Sabres won't be able to keep one and maybe two of them because of the cap.

You are going to need cheap young talent cycling in behind them and right now we have only a couple longshot guys in Martin and Fiornetino.

Same is true up-front of course, but we've got prospect depth in Fasching, Carrier, Compher, Hurley, Bailey, Baptiste, Cornel and Karabacek up there.

Taking a Zboril right now is going to look really smart four years from now when he steps into that gaping hole left by Zadorov's big-money defection to Toronto.

Exactly.

Sprong.

This is a deep enough draft that a pick in the 21st overall range should have a fairly solid chance of being in the NHL in a couple years, if we are taking a forward at 21 I'd really like a guy like Sprong, who's a natural winger. I'm fine with a player having a little risk/reward, but in the case of Zacha, I'd rather not use our second highest pick, a first rounder in a deep draft, on another center.