Official 2015 NHL Draft Thread

LGR4GM

Here is a story about ISS Rankings and how they think the top 5 look. I disagree with them heavily about Crouse. I am sorry but "Glimpses" of a skill don't make you the 3rd best player.

http://www.tsn.ca/mcdavid-s-play-at-world-juniors-further-separates-him-from-rest-of-draft-crop-1.177098

At the top of that list is Canadian winger Lawson Crouse, who rocketed to No. 3 on ISS Hockey's latest rankings. Crouse had a goal and two assists as a fourth-liner but at six foot four and 211 pounds, showed glimpses of playing a pro-style game.

"He's just a coach's dream," said MacInnis, who was impressed with how Crouse adapted to a checking role. "He went out there and did his job, already has a pro frame, lots of upside. I expect a real big second half from him when he gets back to the (OHL)."

This is what Future Considerations wrote about Marner in August. If we draft 3rd and after watching some things... I am leaning more and more towards Marner. He's like bigger, faster, grittier Ennis. Most places have him listed at 5'11" 164lbs or there abouts. Could easily be a 180-190lb player when all is said and down. So while he would be on the lower end of player size, he would not be Nathan Gerbe. Personally his scoring and skating I think make him a player that will transition well to the NHL after another year in Juniors.

"Smallish forward with a real scoring touch…scores in multiple ways…always in the right spot to receive a pass…a good wrist shot, and he plays with a lot of grit and isn't afraid to crash the net for chances…has the hands and creativity to go end to end with the puck…speedy and very agile…excellent foot speed and quickness, and is tough to contain when he gets going; he can beat nearly anyone on the ice with his speed…impressive hand speed and creativity…sees the ice well and makes some really good passes…is a threat on each shift…work ethic and compete level are impressive…relentless pressure on the puck. (August 2014)"

Here is a longer write up from OvertimeSportsNation on Mitch Marner's career to this point.

Marner is also blessed with a great shot, not only does he have a lightning quick release, his shot is placed well and very accurate. With added strength his shot should only become tougher for goaltenders to handle. Marner has the uncanny ability to make players around him better, his excellent on ice awareness, vision and creativity are second to none in is this draft.

Here is what McKeen's Hockey has to say on Mitch

http://www.mckeensho...eady-spotlight/

Those size concerns are now in the past after Marner experienced an impressive growth spurt over the past few seasons that now has him entering his NHL draft season at 6-foot … and still growing. Size chatter aside, Marner’s physical stature isn’t what makes him such a special hockey talent but rather, it is his rare ability to manufacture offense and excel as an imaginative playmaker.

...Marner understands the importance that the London Knights place on winning and he’s determined to not only meet the lofty expectations placed on this annual contender but accepts the challenge in exceeding them. For a competitor as determined as Mitch Marner, stepping up and delivering eye-catching performances in the face of adversity has never been an issue. It has always been about playing to his abilities regardless of what his fiercest critics spit out.

Edited by LGR4GM

To endure two bad seasons and come away with anything other than 1 of the top 2 spots in the draft would be very, very disappointing. Selecting a Defenseman at all could set the rebuild back a year or two. The sabres really need the scoring that McEichel should provide in either goals or assists. Even to get Crouse, who appears to be ranked third in some rankings, would be a big drop off from McEichel.

Why would a D set the rebuild back or two? a player like Hanifin (in time) would be a huge boost to the Sabres scoring. Yes, I will be disappointed to if they dont get McDavid or Eichel but the next tier of Marner, Strome and even Crouse will still be huge pieces for this organization.

Sick day today and spent way too much time watching YouTube highlight videos. The more I watch, the more I am warming to Marner. Undeniable skill, and while not optimum sized, he plays big. Also, in many of the videos he is on Domi's line and they are similarly sized.

Lets not forget the kid is 5'11 and only 17 -Its not like we are talking about Gerbe here.

This is what Future Considerations wrote about Marner in August. If we draft 3rd and after watching some things... I am leaning more and more towards Marner. He's like bigger, faster, grittier Ennis. Most places have him listed at 5'11" 164lbs or there abouts. Could easily be a 180-190lb player when all is said and down. So while he would be on the lower end of player size, he would not be Nathan Gerbe. Personally his scoring and skating I think make him a player that will transition well to the NHL after another year in Juniors.

Here is a longer write up from OvertimeSportsNation on Mitch Marner's career to this point.

funny, i just read your comment after posting the same thing.

It sounds good, but the concern is how players that small translate to the NHL which seems to be getting bigger and faster. If he is more naturally gifted than other players, then he has a chance. Otherwise, in this draft, I think I'd pass.

It sounds good, but the concern is how players that small translate to the NHL which seems to be getting bigger and faster. If he is more naturally gifted than other players, then he has a chance. Otherwise, in this draft, I think I'd pass.

What do you mean by "how players that small translate to the NHL"?

If Marner continues to score at this clip the rest of the way I don't know how he won't end up being the 3rd overall selection unless Hannifan really steps it up. I'm sure the vast majority of us would prefer a forward with our first pick so I don't love Craig Button's rankings. After McEichel, Marner and Strome there are a whole pile of Dmen. At this point it looks like we will be picking in the top 4 but you never know.

1. Mitch Marner (5th from 18th pre-season ranking)

London, OHL, C, 5’11, 164 (34-27-38-65)

I had reasonably high expectations for Mitch coming into the season as his even strength points per sixty minutes (ES 60) of 3.1 last year were the best of the first year draft eligible players for 2015 in the CHL not named Connor McDavid (who had 3.9). However, Mitch came out of the gates sputtering this season with only 4 points in his first ten games. Since then, Mitch has been just about if not the hottest player in junior hockey with 64 points in his last 24 games played. He kind of reminds me of Kyle Turris of the Ottawa Senators in his draft year – skinny as a beanpole but man can he play hockey. I think Mitch may have even more offensive upside than Turris. Size is not going to hold Mitch back due to his speed, vision, creativity, defensive ability and all-around offensive skills. He is simply an elite hockey player, something of a hybrid of Jonathan Drouin andNikolaj Ehlers, which is why I have bumped him up to 5th.

Konecny please and thank you. May you slip like the wind through other GM's fingers. Bittner looks like a good fits too.

Both having down years. Konecny is on a much worse pace (23-32-55 in 63 games vs the 26-44-70 he had last year) and Bittner is basically the same (27-23-50 in 63 games instead of the 22-27-49 he had last year).

That said, I would take either with our later picks.

I have decided. Connor McDavid, Jack Eichel, Mitch Marner. Those are the only three players I am interested in with a top 3 pick. Hanafin is out and Strome is currently on the bubble. Lawson Crouse doesn't interest me, neither does Zacha, Barzal, or Kylington in the top 3. This team needs high end offense and I really don't give a #### if Marner is only 5'11" 165lbs. Kid can flat out play and he is determined.

For our second 1st round pick, depending where it is, I thing they again need to go boom or bust offensive player. Svechnikov or Provorov are my 2 choices and if needed trade up to do it. Bittner and Greenway are my last first round or early 2nd round picks depending on how things falls.

That is my midterm thoughts on the draft based on where I think the Sabres will draft. 2nd overall, 18th and 25th are what I think they will do in the 1st round. If that were the case, I go Eichel, Svechnikov (Provorov will be gone), and then Greenway or Bittner depending on their 2nd half.

Personally if I were GM I would draft Eichel at 2 then trade 18 and 25 to move up and try for Marner. If you could land Eichel, Marner and then with pick 32 Greenway or Bittner (they could slide) it would be an extraordinarily successful draft.

I agree with your assessment of Marner LGR4GM. I would take him 3rd in a heartbeat and can't see him falling out of the top 5 picks. I would really like to see the sabres somehow make a push to move pack into the top of the draft. However, where does 18 and 25 take you? I've tried looking up draft charts and haven't found anything that looks credible. I know that if I owned the 5th pick, I am not moving it for 18 and 25 in this draft. Probably not even for 18,25,32. 18 and 25 for 10 seems more likely IMO. Does anyone have a better feel for draft pick values for the upcoming draft? What can the sabres do to get back into the top 5?

Ya for me I think it's Marner at 3 as well (assuming he continues this torrid pace). I don't have the stats in front of me but I thought someone mentioned before that Marner is on a higher points per game pace then Kane had in juniors. I'm really hoping for McEichel but he would be a pretty good consolation prize. Marner and Reinhart would be 2/3 of a fun top line to watch. Strome and Hannifan are very close for 4/5 IMO.

Wow did not realize he fell that far off pace. He would still be a very good fit for Reinhart if that's how it plays out.

He wasn't at Kane pace as far as I know. He did start the season with something like 2 points in 10 games and then, he lit it the f### up.

To move back into the top 5... a late first or early 2nd round pick plus Tyler Myers. That is just a guess on my part.

You beat me to this. I was going to post something very similar in the trade spec thread yesterday but a few of the guys were already knee deep in their debate so I decided to stay out of it.

This is something I think is possible. This is the kind of move I could fully support Murray on because this kind of thinking is what it is going to take to turn this around in a timely manner.